New York City 1977

Old October 3rd 16, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default New York City 1977

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:22:05 -0400, Mort wrote:
: I remember when Kodachrome went from ASA 10 to ASA 25, an enormous
: improvement.
:
: Thanks for the memories,
:
: Mort Linder

Somewhere I think I still have my father's light meter, which displayed Weston
speed ratings, not ASA. IIRC, original Kodachrome's Weston speed was 8.

Bob
Old October 3rd 16, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 16:35:42 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:
:
:
:
: On 9/11/16, 7:58 PM, in article ,
: "Tony Cooper" wrote:
:
: On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:22:05 -0400, Mort wrote:
:
: Sandman wrote:
: Most of the regulars in this NG are certainly older than 57. We have
: quite a few in their 60's, 70's and 80's. There is a reason some of
: us have experience with antiquated equipment, including but not
: limited to cars, punchcards, FORTRAN, COBOL, analog cameras, wet
: darkrooms, wire recorders, 78 shellacs, and more.
:
:
: Right you are.
:
: Aside from Rolleiflexes and Nikon S-P and F cameras, I had a Webster
: wire recorder in 1948. I not only recorded my entire family speaking,
: but put a full hour of dance music onto one wire reel. That made me
: very popular at parties, as we could then dance and hug a girl for an
: hour instead of only 2 or 3 minutes between shellac discs.
:
: I had a summer job in 1950, correcting errors in punch cards regarding
: multimillion dollar maritime insurance policies.
:
: I worked at a bank one summer in the 1950s running a punch card
: sorting machine. That job was a certain candidate for "The most
: boring job I've ever had".
:
: The rejected cards were taken to one of a dozen punch card ladies who
: made replicates. Just to alleviate the boredom, I would sometimes
: bend, fold, mutilate or spindle a few cards just to create a reason to
: walk across the room to give the cards to one of them.
:
:
: Ahhhh! The ORIGINAL Florida 'Chad Hanger', you are!!

Punch cards were surprisingly versatile. If you took about a dozen and folded
and stapled them correctly, they formed a poinsettia, which could be
spray-painted and used as a Christmas decoration.

And the chads made excellent confetti.

Bob
Old October 3rd 16, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:48:22 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-09-11 17:33:47 +0000, Sandman said:

In article , android wrote:

android:
This is a scan of a capture of mine taken from the viewing
observation deck of the Empire State. The camera was a Leica CL,
the lense a Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 and the film Kodachrome 64, I
think.

It's now featured at the top in the gallery of my photo blog.

https://wp.me/P3strj-2m

Edit: Forgot update but now it's up!

Sandman:
Are you 57 years old?

Sooo???

I didn't know you were a Swede as well, but I guess it's the age that makes
your posts a little hard to make any sense out of rather than you being
american.

Ageist!! What have you got against us old farts?
How old are you, 35?

Most of the regulars in this NG are certainly older than 57. We have
quite a few in their 60's, 70's and 80's. There is a reason some of us
have experience with antiquated equipment, including but not limited to
cars, punchcards, FORTRAN, COBOL, analog cameras, wet darkrooms, wire
recorders, 78 shellacs, and more.

Compared to some here I am a baby at 67.

Not to mention flash bulbs, Brownies that weren't little girls selling
cookies, black corners to hold prints on the page, crinkled edges on
prints, that red circle behind which was the number of exposures
taken, and looking down at an upside-down image.

How about aerial Ektachrome sold post-W.W.II to the civilian market n
35 mm. size.. Do-it-yourselfers could not use it as it had a thick black
backcoating that had to be removed by machine, e.g. by Keene Photo Co.
of Keene, N.H..

Mort Linder