Mounting lenses upside down, the result

Old October 2nd 16, 06:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Mounting lenses upside down, the result

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 19:47:31 -0700, Bill W wrote:
: On 25 Sep 2016 17:15:06 GMT, Sandman wrote:
:
: In january I posted about my idea to mount lenses upside down on shelves:
:
: Sandman
: Mounting lenses upside down
: 01/05/2016
:
: "So, strange subject line aside - I'm looking for a way to
: store my lenses, and I've been thinking about wall-mounting
: them. I think it actually might look quite cool."
:
: And I thought I'd share the end result:
:
: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKx_luqAioO/
:
: I bought some 40+ Nikon rear lens caps and some 20+ sony lens caps, and used
: polyurethane glue to fix them to the underside after routing some round
: "pockets" for them so they're inset in the wood. The glue is super strong and I
: couldn't pry one off no matter how hard I tried.
:
: I'm really pleased with the end result!
:
: I still think you're crazy. I understand that even if they do fall,
: they don't necessarily fall far, but still. And glue deteriorates.
: Strong today, mush tomorrow. You'll be lying in bed when you hear the
: first one fall. Consider that a cry for help for the others.

A foam rubber pad on the floor should do the trick.

Bob
Old October 2nd 16, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 02:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:
: On Thursday, 29 September 2016 07:25:07 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
: In article , Bill W wrote:
:
: Sandman:
: In january I posted about my idea to mount lenses
: upside down on shelves:
:
: Sandman Mounting lenses upside down 01/05/2016
:
:
[...]
: Polyurethane glue creates a bond that is stronger than both the
: wood and the plastic, though.
:
: Do you know what those lens caps are made of? Most glues, including
: what you used, will not adhere properly to certain types of plastic.
: I've learned that the hard way, but my hard way did not involve many
: thousands of dollars worth of lenses. I admit that it all looks
: nice, and it's an interesting way to organize things, but I never
: trust glue when its failure can cost lots of money. If you would
: have run screws through the caps, you would at least have some
: warning if the glue failed, but I understand that there might not
: have been enough clearance between the lens and the screw.
:
: The bottom shelf has screws as well, since the heaviest lenses hang from it.
:
: But why make them hang rather than stand. I'll experiment on some
: students in the lab see if hanging them improves their workableness :-)
:
Standing the lenses up increases their dust catchableness.

Bob