Nikon scanner - compatibility on new computer

Old June 21st 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Default Nikon scanner - compatibility on new computer

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

Old June 21st 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-06-21 14:04:34 -0700, "Alan Justice" said:

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

You are probably going to need from the old Nikon software.

VueScan 9 will run on Windows 7, and will support the Coolscan 5000 ED.
http://www.hamrick.com/

Savageduck

Old June 21st 12, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-06-21 14:04:34 -0700, "Alan Justice" said:

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

You are probably going to need from the old Nikon software.

....er, that should read,"need to move from the old Nikon software." ;-)

Old June 22nd 12, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:04:34 -0700, "Alan Justice"
wrote:
: I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
: I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

Probably. But if it doesn't, you can install a virtual XP machine on your
Windows 7 computer. It's free, and the Microsoft Web site explains all. It's a
tedious process, but not especially difficult if you know a lot about Windows
and are good at reading between the lines. You'll want to do it anyway, if
you've been doing your backups with the standard Windows backup program.
Windows 7 won't read your backup files.

Bob
Old June 22nd 12, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Robert Coe wrote,on my timestamp of 22/06/2012 11:35 AM:

: I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
: I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

Probably. But if it doesn't, you can install a virtual XP machine on your
Windows 7 computer. It's free, and the Microsoft Web site explains all. It's a
tedious process, but not especially difficult if you know a lot about Windows
and are good at reading between the lines. You'll want to do it anyway, if
you've been doing your backups with the standard Windows backup program.
Windows 7 won't read your backup files.

Or alternatively just install Virtualbox - free - and create as many XP VMs as
you need to run older software. Very simple software to use, indeed.

Or use vuescan: it works well and doesn't cost much. Only problem is that it is
not as nice and smooth as Nikonscan for previews. Then again, it's a different
workflow.
Old June 23rd 12, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-06-21 17:04 , Alan Justice wrote:
I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

Nikon stopped supporting their scan s/w a year or so ago. AFAIK they
don't support the 64b version.

So see what Robert Coe says.

Vuescan is not as good as the Nikon s/w (IMO). (I have both).

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old July 2nd 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

"Alan Justice" writes:

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

The Nikon Scan software will refuse to install, but if forced to install
will run. I succeeded once, and failed once, as I remember it.

Or, as other suggest, you can go to using VueScan, which is not bad at
all, or use a virtual machine to keep running XP.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info