Waterproof D Camera - Manchester, Frankfurt or S Africa?

Old March 28th 08, 06:02 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ME&YOU

Default Waterproof D Camera - Manchester, Frankfurt or S Africa?

I want to get a waterproof digital camera to take during some light diving.
Maybe the Olympus Mju 790SW or the Pentax Optio W30.
We go on Monday so I don't have time to get it anywhere online so does
anyone know which is likely to be cheapest - Manchester Airport, Frankfurt
airport or in a camera shop in south Africa (Cape Town)?
Thanks

Old March 29th 08, 08:05 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
Derek

"Emil Tiades" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:02:37 -0000, "ME&YOU"
wrote:

I want to get a waterproof digital camera to take during some light
diving.
Maybe the Olympus Mju 790SW or the Pentax Optio W30.
We go on Monday so I don't have time to get it anywhere online so does
anyone know which is likely to be cheapest - Manchester Airport, Frankfurt
airport or in a camera shop in south Africa (Cape Town)?
Thanks

Before worrying about saving a fiver, consider "what if it breaks
later"
You can always post it back to the South African shop and pray the
saint patron of clueless shoppers...
Personally, tomorrow I would go to a camera shop/store not far from
where I live, but I am not you.

Makes sense unless ......you buy a camera at home to go on the trip of a
lifetime on the other side of the world where the camera fails.Electronic
equipment failure mainly occurs very early in ownership (or two days after
the warranty expires) .Leaving you in the hands of the patron saint of
clueless shoppers as you are nowhere close to the home dealer and royally
stuffed - pay by credit card for that bit of protection and source an
authorised dealer in SA that will supply with
worldwide warranty (olympus policy applicable since 2004 dunno about
pentax).I have compared prices at manchester ( while making deliveries) and
they dont seem a lot better than the usual suspects try
http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/ for your starter for ten- remember the
airport shops don't carry a huge stock due to the space factor but they will
get stock in to order if you give fair warning ( can't believe I put Dixons
on a customer service footing so maybe not) .
Derek

Old March 29th 08, 12:20 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
armpit

"Emil Tiades" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:05:08 GMT, "Derek"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

snip

In which case he purchases one locally [one of the options] and gets
his money back on the faulty one when he returns home.

Or buys two, and returns the second later if it is not needed.

Old March 29th 08, 02:22 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
[email protected]

At the risk of sounding like a Jonah, but to be honest the "standard advice"
is not to take
a new camera on a trip, especially a "once in a lifetime" one. The logic is
that it's best
to familiarise yourself with the camera before you go, the theory being that
you will not
accidentally erase the photos on the last day of your holiday?

Hope you have a good trip.

MH
Old March 29th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ME&YOU

wrote in message
At the risk of sounding like a Jonah, but to be honest the "standard
advice"
is not to take
a new camera on a trip, especially a "once in a lifetime" one. The logic
is
that it's best
to familiarise yourself with the camera before you go, the theory being
that
you will not
accidentally erase the photos on the last day of your holiday?

Hope you have a good trip.

MH

Thank you everyone. It's not really a trip of a life time, it's actually
business but I have the chance of a cage dive with sharks and wanted to make
sure it was on camera as I'm not likely to do it again.
Currys duty free didn't have any of them on site so I guess I'm going to
have to try to find one tomorrow or just get a cheapie film one