What lens for wildlife photography?

Old May 1st 18, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default What lens for wildlife photography?

On Apr 30, 2018, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

I wouldn't invest in a wildlife lens before looking at the soon-to-be-released Questar 5.

While the Questar 5 might well be endowed with fine optics, price, and
reputation, I question just how suitable it would be as a practical wildlife
lens in the field. I am sure it will perform superbly as a terrestrial
spotting scope, but I am also sure that photographers shooting wildlife, from
animals on the move to tracking birds in flight, will find it to be a tad
unwieldly. However, I am also sure that there will be a handful of
photographers prepared to pay the price in cash and/or awkward handling for
that scope just for some strange sort of bragging rights.

Savageduck

Old May 1st 18, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-05-01 02:14:48 +0000, Davoud said:

I wouldn't invest in a wildlife lens before looking at the
soon-to-be-released Questar 5.

According to the specs, linked below posted by RichA it's a 1780/14
elephant... I'll will check out my "new" 500/8 mirror before a bring
one of those on a safari! Just waiting for the T2-EF adapter...

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/monthly_04_2018/post-138049-0-94441400-1524532747_thumb.jpg

--
teleportation kills

Old May 1st 18, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrpea4ijzw3kxbl/DSC_3629-E.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvzrovv5d4gvmr/DSC_3633-E.jpg

Red eyes...? Perhaps try without flash.
--
Alfred Molon

Old May 1st 18, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , PeterN says...
I did not get the 200-500,
because it seems to be a very good, and sharp lens,

Probably because of the weight, not the lens sharpness.

I am unable to carry
it easily for more than about 1/2 hour.

How about then a smaller, lighter system such as m4/3 for instance?
--
Alfred Molon

Old May 1st 18, 12:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 1, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Monday, 30 April 2018 17:24:07 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 30, 2018, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 30/04/2018 13:31, Savageduck wrote:

Big cats are a start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrpea4ijzw3kxbl/DSC_3629-E.jpg

That's a fantastic image! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvzrovv5d4gvmr/DSC_3633-E.jpg

They seem to know that they are photogenic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpfv07cuiki518s/DSC_3647.jpg

Cute little kitties ;-) where were the photo taken.

South Africa. The GPS data is in the EXIF.

Savageduck

Old May 1st 18, 12:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 1, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrpea4ijzw3kxbl/DSC_3629-E.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvzrovv5d4gvmr/DSC_3633-E.jpg

Red eyes...? Perhaps try without flash.

No red eyes, no flash.

Savageduck

Old May 1st 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2018-05-01 02:14:48 +0000, Davoud said:

I wouldn't invest in a wildlife lens before looking at the
soon-to-be-released Questar 5.

According to the specs, linked below posted by RichA it's a 1780/14
elephant... I'll will check out my "new" 500/8 mirror before a bring one
of those on a safari! Just waiting for the T2-EF adapter...

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/monthly_04_2018/post-138049-0-94441400-1524532747_thumb.jpg

I have an old Nikkor mirror 500mm, f8, complete with the original
leather carrying case. (circa about 1975.) I bought it used for $100. It
works for still wildlife, in situations when I can prefocus. My 70-200,
with my 1.7 TC, gives me a sharper image, with more clarity, when
cropped. I haven't used it in several years. The last time I used it was
as a close up lens, with extension tubes. It gave me some interesting
effects.
--
PeterN
Old May 1st 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/1/2018 6:26 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , PeterN says...
I did not get the 200-500,
because it seems to be a very good, and sharp lens,

Probably because of the weight, not the lens sharpness.

Of course. If I can't carry it, I have little use for it. I also looked
at the Nikkor 600mm, f4. It's purchase would lighten my wallet, but not
enough to make up for the carrying weight. Several years ago we were
considering buying a house on Sanibel. If we had, I would have purchased
that lens.

I am unable to carry
it easily for more than about 1/2 hour.

How about then a smaller, lighter system such as m4/3 for instance?

Wouldn't work for me.

--
PeterN
Old May 1st 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 4/30/2018 10:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 30, 2018, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

I wouldn't invest in a wildlife lens before looking at the soon-to-be-released Questar 5.

While the Questar 5 might well be endowed with fine optics, price, and
reputation, I question just how suitable it would be as a practical wildlife
lens in the field. I am sure it will perform superbly as a terrestrial
spotting scope, but I am also sure that photographers shooting wildlife, from
animals on the move to tracking birds in flight, will find it to be a tad
unwieldly. However, I am also sure that there will be a handful of
photographers prepared to pay the price in cash and/or awkward handling for
that scope just for some strange sort of bragging rights.

I have met several wildlife photographers who use spotting scopes. There
primary goal is simple to get a image of the bird, as opposed to taking
a reasonably high quality photograph. It seems to me that a scope
properly mounted on a gimbal would not be more awkward than any other
manual focus lens.

--
PeterN
Old May 2nd 18, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:31:42 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

First what I have shot with over the years:
D70/D200/D300/D7100/D500
18-70 kit lens
1st gen 70-200f f2.8 VR
1st gen 200-400 f/ VR
18-200 VR
2nd gen 18-300 VR
TC-1.4-EII
TC-2-EII

My long go to combo is the 200-400 f4 + TC-14 on my D500 these days.
I handhold 99.9% of my shots. I thought long and hard and this combo
is at the 100+% level of what I carry around while walking the rivers
around Yorktown and Jamestown, VA. To be honest though I find this too
heavy to reliably pan photos at sports car races at VIR. The 70-200+
either TC is much lighter and useful for panning shots.

One of my better eagle shots printed at 16x20 hanging in my office,
http://whfoto.net/Yorktown_Eagles/20.../D5C_5512.html
At the Fusileer's Redoubt across from the now American Revolution
Museum at Yorktown, https://www.historyisfun.org/