external hard drive

Old December 29th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ami

Default external hard drive

Hi,

I apologize if this has been discussed many times, but everything I found on
groups search seemed much more complicated than I could handle.

For Christmas my husband got me a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200. His
intentions were for me to be able to move the pictures stored on my laptop
(using canon's zoombrowser) *not* for backup- but for storage. To
completely remove them from my laptop hard drive to free up space. Aside
from burning multiple backup cd's stored in multiple locations first (I saw
enough talk of that on my search to know everyone advocates this) is this an
o.k. thing to do? Does anyone else store their photos on an external hard
drive?

I am totally dumb as to how an external drive works.
Will I be able to use it like my computer's hard drive and install my
zoombrowser software /adobe elements etc. in that so I can work with my
pictures within the external drive or will I have to move the pictures/files
back to my laptop to use the installed software there to edit etc. them?
Most of the pictures sit and I don't do anything with them, but I often go
through them and grab a few to edit and use.

I would welcome any other advice or tips you can give me.

Thanks!

Ami

http://www.pbase.com/amiable1

Old December 29th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

If you use Windows XP, it should recognize the new hard drive as soon as you
have connected it and it is switched on. You will see a new removable drive
in Windows Explorer. Then you can copy or cut and paste the top directory /
directories with your image files (likely MyPictures) onto your new external
hard drive. There is no need to use zoom browser for copying. When the
external hard drive is connected you can use Windows Explorer, Zoom Browser
or similar program (Irfan View etc.) for browsing your image files on it.

Old December 29th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

If it is like mine, you just have to remember to turn it on and off since
its power supply is independent from the computer. It works great for that
purpose and that is all that I use it for.

Old December 29th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Ami wrote:
[...]

External drives are great for storing photos, it is where I have most
of mine. But don't ever fully trust them as they do fail from time to
time. I have yet to have one fail on me, between my wife and I we are
using 4 of them, but where my wife use to work they had a number just
stop working. So have at least another backup, two backups would be
better. I put my photos on to DVD backups as well as keeping them on
the external hard drive. I also make new DVDs of all my photos every
couple of years, whereas I have not had problems with DVDs going bad
more copies is always better.

Scott

Old December 29th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
embee

"Ami" wrote in message ...
[...]

I do exactly what you're planning - backup my RAW images to CDs and keep
copies on an external hard drive (or 2, or 3!!). It works fine, although
remember to copy the images over to your internal hard drive for editing in
Photoshop etc (preferably a seperate drive from the one Photoshop lives on).
In my experience, editing images which reside on an external drive is not a
good idea.

Good Luck.

Old December 29th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:31:29 -0500, Ami wrote:

[...]

It should work as simply and reliably as an internal drive. Basically,
some of the electronics has been repackaged in the external enclosure. The
one main kicker is that an external drive is considerably slower than an
internal unit. Firewire is much faster than USB2.

Old December 29th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article , "Ami" wrote:

[...]

You didn't say which operating system you're using, but chances are, you
just treat the external disk drive like you do with the internal drive.
The specifics depend on the operating system you're using.

Your best bet is to have a knowledgeable acquaintance show you how your
new disk drive works. Also, keep in mind that using an external disk
drive for primary storage does not do away with the need to do backups.
Your new external disk drive is just as susceptible to failure as the
internal drive, so be sure to back up your photos periodically.
Old December 29th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lou

"Ami" wrote in message ...
[...]

I use two external hard drives for my desktop computer for the same
purposes, backing up genealogy, documents and pictures. However, I also
copy the same files to a CD and store the CD off premises. I've heard that
CDs don't last for ever either, but if there would be a major disaster and
my precious files were stored on a hard drive that sat by the computer, they
would be destroyed too. There are more things than a hard drive going bad
that can cause loss of files.

I don't use any software to transfer the files. I make folders and name
them with the year I took the photos and within that folder I have
individual folders with different names, such as vacation 2006. I just drag
my files from the computer hard drive to the back up storage drive/and CD.
I also have zoombrowser on the computer, but very seldom use it or Dimage
Viewer. I use PSP and choose open from that program and tell the program
where to search for the photos, then I can browse them from within the
program, choose and open the picture, and work on it.

Old December 30th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Ami wrote:
[...]

External hard drives are fine for back-up...but only as long as you have
MORE than one drive containing the files, and each in a different location.
I no longer even attempt to back-up on CD or DVD because not only is it a
royal pain, but I'm not convinced they are stable.

I have multiple external hard drives which contain all of my image files.

**If you are going to now house your image files ONLY on this one hard
drive, you are making a huge mistake, and taking a huge risk. Get at LEAST
one more drive...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old December 30th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Mac

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:29:26 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:

Ami wrote:
[...]

MarkČ 's suggestion is a good one. I too have two external hard drives but
one morning the Western Digital stopped being recognized by the computer.
I had to reformat the drive and it's worked fine since then. Perhaps I should
have formatted it before I used it the first time. Fortunately I still had all
my
photos (and music) on a second internal drive. I now have a 3rd internal
drive that duplicates all my photos and I use the two externals for backing
up my C: drive.

Incidentally, you shouldn't have to use zoombrowser software. Just
plug in your new drive, open it in a window then drag and drop your
photo folders onto the new external.

Jack Mac