Hamstrung by a dSLR

Old July 2nd 05, 05:11 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Default Hamstrung by a dSLR

Saved up money, sold my Oly C-750, bought a Canon 300D, saved more
money, and bought some lenses. The end result is that the number of
photographs I take has steadily declined. I find carrying the dSLR
everywhere is impractical even without all the extra lenses. So now I
am considering going back to a relatively light and more portable P&S
digicam. Maybe something along the lines of a Canon A95 or Nikon
Coolpix 7900.

Has anything similar happened to you? How did you resolve it?

- Siddhartha

Old July 2nd 05, 05:37 PM
Skip M

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Saved up money, sold my Oly C-750, bought a Canon 300D, saved more
money, and bought some lenses. The end result is that the number of
photographs I take has steadily declined. I find carrying the dSLR
everywhere is impractical even without all the extra lenses. So now I
am considering going back to a relatively light and more portable P&S
digicam. Maybe something along the lines of a Canon A95 or Nikon
Coolpix 7900.

Has anything similar happened to you? How did you resolve it?

- Siddhartha

We're probably going to buy the smallest, thinnest DP&S with the largest LCD
(Casio F57?) to take on vacation. Lugging 20Ds, lenses, etc. around is okay
when we're shooting "art" or weddings, but just for snaps, it just doesn't
make sense! We don't need 7 or 8 mp, the sharpest of lenses or the largest
of sensors to take a pic of some cute roadside sign...
No need to "go back" to a fixed lens camera, get one to use when it's
appropriate, keep the DSLR to use when you need it.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 2nd 05, 06:23 PM
l e o

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
Saved up money, sold my Oly C-750, bought a Canon 300D, saved more
money, and bought some lenses. The end result is that the number of
photographs I take has steadily declined. I find carrying the dSLR
everywhere is impractical even without all the extra lenses. So now I
am considering going back to a relatively light and more portable P&S
digicam. Maybe something along the lines of a Canon A95 or Nikon
Coolpix 7900.

Has anything similar happened to you? How did you resolve it?

- Siddhartha

I too moved up from Olympus 3000 to Canon 20D. I took more pix than
before. The 20D is great for portrait. It's also quick when coupling
with ultrasonic lenses. Someone in my house has a Sony V1 too, so I
don't need to plan on getting a P&S myself. It's rather slow so I rarely
have a need to use it. And putting a flash gun on top of it not only
look funny but impossible to handle. If I had to pick one small camera,
I think I'd get the Pentax OptioWP, All weather camera to compliment the
20D. If you do want a replacement P&S, then Panasonic's offering with IS
seems to be the best overall.
Old July 2nd 05, 06:27 PM
Chris Brown

In article .com,
Siddhartha Jain wrote:
Saved up money, sold my Oly C-750, bought a Canon 300D, saved more
money, and bought some lenses. The end result is that the number of
photographs I take has steadily declined. I find carrying the dSLR
everywhere is impractical even without all the extra lenses. So now I
am considering going back to a relatively light and more portable P&S
digicam. Maybe something along the lines of a Canon A95 or Nikon
Coolpix 7900.

Has anything similar happened to you? How did you resolve it?

There's an easy answer to this one - try playing with large format for a
while, where if you go for the smallest, lightest equipment you can find
that still takes decent pictures, you may manage to get the weight down to
under 10 kilograms.

After you've lugged that around the deserts of the US southwest for a couple
of weeks, you will then realise that your DSLR and a walk-around lens weighs
nothing. ;-)
Old July 2nd 05, 06:28 PM
Helen Edith Stephenson

In article .com,
Siddhartha Jain writes
Saved up money, sold my Oly C-750, bought a Canon 300D, saved more
money, and bought some lenses. The end result is that the number of
photographs I take has steadily declined. I find carrying the dSLR
everywhere is impractical even without all the extra lenses. So now I
am considering going back to a relatively light and more portable P&S
digicam. Maybe something along the lines of a Canon A95 or Nikon
Coolpix 7900.

Has anything similar happened to you? How did you resolve it?

- Siddhartha

I moved from film SLRs to a digital SLR and find that what I carry has
*decreased*. I was often carrying three film bodies so that I could run
slides, colour negatives and b&w negatives. Now I just carry the digital
SLR. Even the number of lenses I carry is reduced because the DSLR comes
with a zoom that covers more focal lengths than any of the zooms I
previously owned.

However, I do understand your point about lugging all that weight
around, and keep a 35mm film compact in my handbag for those occasions
when I haven't planned to lug the DSLR around but want to take a photo
anyway. One day I suppose I'll replace it with a digital compact, but I
don't use it all that often, so the costs of running film through it
aren't too high, and don't currently justify the higher purchase cost of
a digital compact.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Old July 2nd 05, 06:58 PM
Lisa Horton

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

Saved up money, sold my Oly C-750, bought a Canon 300D, saved more
money, and bought some lenses. The end result is that the number of
photographs I take has steadily declined. I find carrying the dSLR
everywhere is impractical even without all the extra lenses. So now I
am considering going back to a relatively light and more portable P&S
digicam. Maybe something along the lines of a Canon A95 or Nikon
Coolpix 7900.

Has anything similar happened to you? How did you resolve it?

Actually, a similar thing. So now I have a compact camera as well as
the DSLRs, so I can carry whichever one is most appropriate.

Lisa
Old July 2nd 05, 07:12 PM
Celcius

Hi Skip!
I've just come back from Greece and Turkey and I'm sorry to differ.
To visit the Parthenon, the Meteors, the Blue Mosque or the Topkapi and have
in hand a good camera, in my view, gives souvenirs an extra glitter. Why
take snapshots when you have the opportunity to bring back realistic and
artistic scenes? Cheers,
Marcel

Old July 2nd 05, 07:15 PM
railfan

Same here. I love my Digital Rebel, but hauling around a bag with it,
a zoom lens, flash and other accessories is too much of a bother much
of the time. I too picked up a Canon S500 Digital Elph with 5.0MP,
and now have it with me most of the time. It fits neatly on my belt in
its leather case, even with a spare battery. Seems to be the way to
go!

Bob Boudreau

Old July 2nd 05, 07:53 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Celcius says...
Hi Skip!
I've just come back from Greece and Turkey and I'm sorry to differ.
To visit the Parthenon, the Meteors, the Blue Mosque or the Topkapi and have
in hand a good camera, in my view, gives souvenirs an extra glitter. Why
take snapshots when you have the opportunity to bring back realistic and
artistic scenes? Cheers,

Even compact cameras can produce good shots. Just shoot at lowest ISO in
RAW mode and use a polariser filter.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 2nd 05, 08:12 PM
Stacey

Celcius wrote:

Hi Skip!
I've just come back from Greece and Turkey and I'm sorry to differ.
To visit the Parthenon, the Meteors, the Blue Mosque or the Topkapi and
have in hand a good camera, in my view, gives souvenirs an extra glitter.
Why take snapshots when you have the opportunity to bring back realistic
and artistic scenes?

I agree but it depends on your goal for your vacation. If the camera gets in
the way of you having a good time, then somethings wrong. I'm used to a
fairly large camera so a dSLR with one wide zoom isn't a problem for me. If
you're used to a camera you stick in your shift pocket, it might seem
different?

--

Stacey