Pam and Jeff Farr Photography Course

Old April 2nd 04, 03:54 AM
Shadownozz

Default Pam and Jeff Farr Photography Course

Who can tell me if the photography course by Pam and Jeff Farr is worth all the
money they are asking for it. I found their ad in the back of a photo magazine.
They claim that their marketing plan works very well. I would try to come up
with the money somehow if the course was really worth it. Has anyone purchased
this course and what are your comments?

Bill
Old April 2nd 04, 12:50 PM
Paul

"Shadownozz" wrote in message
Who can tell me if the photography course by Pam and Jeff Farr is worth

all the
money they are asking for it. I found their ad in the back of a photo

magazine.
They claim that their marketing plan works very well. I would try to come

up
with the money somehow if the course was really worth it. Has anyone

purchased
this course and what are your comments?

Bill

Rule Number 1

No one sells a working marketing plan, if it really worked they would not
only be doing it themselves but also keeping it to themselves. It may have
worked in the past, but it has now run its course and the only way to make
any more money is to sell it to an unsuspecting photographer like you.

Buyer beware.

Paul

Old April 4th 04, 09:57 AM
zeitgeist

Who can tell me if the photography course by Pam and Jeff Farr is worth

all the
money they are asking for it. I found their ad in the back of a photo

magazine.
They claim that their marketing plan works very well. I would try to come

up
with the money somehow if the course was really worth it. Has anyone

purchased
this course and what are your comments?

There are all kinds of books, 'reports' and seminars on how you can get get
rich quick taking pictures with your camera.

There are some good ones out there. Most of them are probably found through
your local and state professional associations. And while they may have
speakers come through talking a lot of hot air there is usually a group of
no nonsense business people there to blow the smoke away.

So usually these guys don't just have an ad in the back of a hobbiest
magazine but are regularly writing articles in professional magazines, and
speaking at conventions and local assoc. monthly meetings (where they sell
their videos, sample packs, scripts, and other materials, and guess what, if
you buy it all tonight only its merely expensive instead of freakn
expensive.)

There are two basic ways of making money in consumer photography, high
volume or high service. The volume way is hard work, shooting pictures like
krispy creme makes donuts, a few cents on each one times millions of them
and the ones making the money ain't the one standing over the hot vat of
grease but the one that owns and manages the region chain of them. Or the
high service, which usually entails a whole paradigm shift in your lifestyle
and personality. There used to a guy who spoke about charging a freakn
fortune for a portrait, 3 or 4 hundred bucks for a 5x7 business portrait,
this was back in the 80's when a custom tailored suit probably cost that
much. Well, if you have the manner, the attitude, the service and the
location with decor. So a lot of folks bought the book and tapes, gave it
shot and went broke, perhaps cause they just didn't get it.

I mean, you have fast food burgers for a buck, and then there is that french
place downtown where you can get Beuff Hashe for $40. Can the guy who has
a burger joint read about the french chef and how he folds the napkins like
this, and toss some table clothes on the formica tops, put the counter staff
in tuxedos and print new menus expect to stay in business? OK, some thing
ain't going to translate.

fast food photography is highly competitive, you have lots of folks knocking
on dance schools, the sports teams, the school district itself. One of
the ads I saw was about pet photography in stores, well most of them have
someone already, frankly I think it is possible to make 1,500 a day, not
every day, perhaps on the best day of your life. The Santa and easter
shoots in the malls, those guys have whole crews and serious investments in
printers and digital gear.

probably the worst idea I have heard about is an update of the old candid
stalker. In the old days photogs would hang around and shoot pictures of
people on the street and then walk up to them, give them a card with
instructions to go to the studio and look at the proof. in the old days it
was possible cause photography was still a skill (well, they did have to
know how to focus, how to figure exposures)

today someone wants photogs to shoot digitally and give folks a card with a
web address. yeah right, if one in a hundred did you just might make
minimum wage but I doubt if one in a thousand will which means you'd be
lucky to cover the cost of all those cards.

anyway, the only google picked up was several more ads, classified ads
posted to those ad web sites, so marketing geniuses they ain't, and one page
where its obvious his brother the jeweler is the talented one in the family,
but hey, its supposed to be free ???