USB Detachable Hard Drive

Old February 27th 05, 06:55 AM
Don

Default USB Detachable Hard Drive

Folks

Looking to use a transportable hard drive (is that the right term) for my
"off site" back up of my digital photographs etc. Need to be in the order
of min 250 gig (perhaps larger) and preferably with USB V1 and Firewire.
Any suggestions?

--
Don From Down Under

Old February 27th 05, 07:01 AM
Tony Hwang

Don wrote:
Folks

Looking to use a transportable hard drive (is that the right term) for my
"off site" back up of my digital photographs etc. Need to be in the order
of min 250 gig (perhaps larger) and preferably with USB V1 and Firewire.
Any suggestions?

Hi,
You can have an enclosure with dual I/O, both Fire Wire and USB.
Matter of installing your choice of HDD and plugging into I/O port of
your choice.
Tony
Old February 27th 05, 07:37 AM
Ron Hunter

Don wrote:
Folks

Looking to use a transportable hard drive (is that the right term) for my
"off site" back up of my digital photographs etc. Need to be in the order
of min 250 gig (perhaps larger) and preferably with USB V1 and Firewire.
Any suggestions?

Sure, just about ANY USB 2.0 and/or Firewire drive in the size you need.
Many are available.
Don't pay more than $.50 a GB.

--
Ron Hunter

Old February 27th 05, 11:53 AM
g n p

I use the Unibrain, which also supports Firewire800
Their web page explains all.
________________
G. Paleologopoulos

Old February 27th 05, 03:44 PM
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Why not get an extra memory card?They are not that expensive, and they are
robust.For someone like me, who was brought up in the 80's, and was used to
computers having a 'large' memory of 64 kB, buying a lexar sd card 128 MB
for 33 euro is a good deal.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Old February 27th 05, 07:18 PM
Nostrobino

"Don" wrote in message
Folks

Looking to use a transportable hard drive (is that the right term) for my
"off site" back up of my digital photographs etc. Need to be in the order
of min 250 gig (perhaps larger) and preferably with USB V1 and Firewire.
Any suggestions?

There are plenty of available 250GB external hard drives with USB 2.0
(backward compatible with 1.0/1.1 of course, but that is really much slower)
and also combo drives with USB 2.0 and Firewire. I have external drives,
though not in that particular size, by Western Digital and SimpleTech, and
both have worked fine so far. Apart from form factor (the SimpleTech is more
compact and can be positioned vertically, which is convenient) I haven't
noticed any functional difference between them.

Old February 27th 05, 08:38 PM
Bill Hilton

Looking to use a transportable hard drive (is that the right term) for
my
"off site" back up of my digital photographs etc. Any suggestions?

Don, we have six of these in various sizes from various dealers (Acom,
Maxtor, Western Digital, maybe another brand off-site right now). When
we need one we just catch the weekly sale at Fry's and buy whatever's
on sale. None have failed yet though I'm sure all will fail eventually
(we buy them two at a time and duplicate the data, keeping them in
different locations).

I'd suggest you avoid USB V1 and go with USB 2 at least (if you can
even find a USB V1 anymore). The ones with both Firewire and USB 2
cost a bit more but are more versatile and the Firewire is faster. We
usually pay between 50 - 75 cents (US) per GB after rebate and it's
going down every year.

Bill

Old February 27th 05, 08:40 PM
Bill Hilton

Why not get an extra memory card?

He's talking gigabytes, you must be talking megabytes