Apple's nitwit pundits miss the bigger picture

Old March 3rd 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter N[_3_]

Default Apple's nitwit pundits miss the bigger picture

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 08:41:08 -0800, SMS
wrote:
On 3/2/2011 7:57 AM, RichA wrote:
"Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" So

F------
what? Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like

worrying
about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket. The cost of the
device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that

the
thing is going to consume. Lets say "video chatting," a key

feature
of the new iPad takes off. What do you suppose the cost/month for
this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

The top selling iPads are the ones without 3G, so the cost/month

for
video chatting is not going to be an issue for those iPads.

Even the 3G/4G Android tablets from Verizon require only one month

of a
data plan, then you can cancel and go back to Wi-Fi only.

Not sure where you are, but in my area there is so much free Wi-Fi
around that it'd be rather ridiculous to pay for 3G/4G unless you

really
needed to use the tablet while in a car, train, or bus.

What I like about my Droid on PagePlus is that in the rare cases

where
Wi-Fi isn't available I have the option for pay as you go 3G data,

or I
can sign up for a $30 monthly plan of 1200 voice minutes, 2000

messages
(text or multimedia), and 100MB of data. If you're not doing things

like
watching videos over 3G, or uploading/downloading high-resolution

photos
over 3G, that 100MB can last a long time. But you need the

discipline to
wait for Wi-Fi before doing bandwidth intensive activities if you

want
to not spend a lot on 3G data.

And of course the iPad is not really cheaper than the Xoom if you
compare feature to feature and take into account the extra features

the
Xoom has. Some of that will change today. Perhaps the iPad2 will

have an
LTE version. It's certain to have two cameras and a dual core

processor
like the Xoom. Hopefully an SD or MicroSD slot so you don't have to

use
that funky connectivity kit. But unlikely to have a USB port or

Flash
support.

For about 30 dollars a month I get unlimited Internet on my Droid.

--
from my Droid