D1x

Old June 29th 04, 06:17 AM
fmaas

Default D1x

This NG was helpful to me in the past so I will try to fit in between the
spam and trolls and ask for some more input.

I purchased a Nikon D100 in January and have been happy with the camera and
have purchased several Nikkor lenses and several accessories for the camera
..

I have now run across a deal for a new D1x for about $2,900. It is local
and from a reputable dealer and I can touch it and try it out in the store,
the price is about $400 lower than the lowest price I have seen (from
reliable dealers anyway) even with the $500 rebate now offered by Nikon and
for some strange reason it comes bundled with a Sigma (don't which one yet,
supposed to be a good one) lens . I know the speed differences, buffer
capabilities and the build of the body are significant improvements over the
D100. I am an decent amateur, still learning, with, I guess, delusions of
grandeur in considering D1x. I tend to shoot landscapes, nature and people
not sports.

I have been doing some reading and looking at reviews. I wonder if those in
the NG with experience with the D1x can tell me if quality improvements of
the photos (based on the camera's output, not my abilities as a
photographer) are the worth the cost of moving up (along with probably
taking a bath on my D100 if I sell it)? Is it a camera I can "grow into"?
Is there a price drop and rebate on this camera because something
substacially better is in the wings awaiting announcement?

With my investment in Nikon glass, flashes etc. I am not really looking for
reasons to jump to Canon (great stuff but I am already committed) nor am I
looking for extollations on the virtues of the Sigma. Just looking for
someone to push me off the fence one way or the other as far as the D1x is
concerned.

I appreciate any insights you can give me. TIA.

Old June 29th 04, 06:35 AM
mike

I think for the type of work you are doing at the moment it would be wise to
stick with the D100, unless you really need the robust build of the D1X.
remember the extra weight can be a killer when tramping outdoors for that
elusive landscape "just over the next hill'

mike

.

Old June 29th 04, 08:42 AM
;o\)-max-

"fmaas"

[...]

You won't be getting better image quality - unless you need
the higher flash sync 1/500s or have a bunch of older lenses
and flash you would like to use, I don't think it is worth it.
Save your money and be ready for the next gen. in a year
or two.. For landscapes you would probably like a full frame,
camera, and my guess is Nikon is working on that. ;o)-max-

Old June 29th 04, 11:13 AM
gsum

There have been rumours that the D2X is imminent i.e. within
2 or 3 months. Also Nikon no longer make the bodies for the
Kodak DCS SLR 14n. Are the clearing the way for something
really spectacular?

Graham

Old June 29th 04, 01:15 PM

gsum wrote:
There have been rumours that the D2X is imminent i.e. within
2 or 3 months.

That's when it'll be *announced*. Expect a six month wait after that
before all of us can lay our hands on one...

Andrew.
Old June 29th 04, 05:25 PM
this old user

"mike" wrote in message
I think for the type of work you are doing at the moment it would be wise

stick with the D100, unless you really need the robust build of the D1X.
remember the extra weight can be a killer when tramping outdoors for that
elusive landscape "just over the next hill'

Agreed. I have a Digital Rebel and thought about adding a new 10D, but
instead bought a used 1D for about 1k more. It shoots and focuses quicker
than anything but it's a heavy beast and the sensor is not as nice and not
as big as the Rebel/10D sensor. If I didn't need the speed for sports I
would have just bought some more L glass. Unless I'm shooting sports, the
1D is staying home or in the bag as a backup.

Old June 29th 04, 05:27 PM

I doubt it

when was the last time Nikon came with something "spectacular"

(who is a Nikon d1x prosumer)

--
kind regards,
Theo Alers