Photography - Which book to read

Old July 11th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
Alan

Default Photography - Which book to read

Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for photography. I
know nothing about settings and how to understand what to adjust to get the
best from a camera. I have just bought a Canon S3 and although it is not an
SLR there are many settings which I have not used before.

Any help greatly appreciated.

regards
Alan

Old July 11th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
Helen

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for photography. I
know nothing about settings and how to understand what to adjust to get
the best from a camera. I have just bought a Canon S3 and although it is
not an SLR there are many settings which I have not used before.

I'm not going to advise you on this because I believe you should browse
Waterstones or whatever you have locally and find whatever you think suits
you by reading the back and the frontispiece.

But I was wondering what the hell this question has to do with walking? I
thought walkers just wore anoraks, tweeds and sensible shoes, and pointed at
mountains.

Old July 11th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
jeremy

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for photography. I
know nothing about settings and how to understand what to adjust to get
the best from a camera. I have just bought a Canon S3 and although it is
not an SLR there are many settings which I have not used before.

Any help greatly appreciated.

regards
Alan

Look on eBay, amazon.com (they sell used books on amazon, too) or
www.abebooks.com for the out-of-print book from Kodak, "How To Take Good
Pictures." Get an edition that dates prior to the introduction of digital
cameras. It has just the kind of information that newbies can use.

An excellent hardcover single-volume overview of 35mm cameras, lenses,
accessories and a whole section on how to photograph various types of
situations can be found in Michael Freeman's "35MM Handbook." ISBN # IS
0-89471-339-6.

There were two separate sets of books on photography published in the 70s
and 80s by Time-Life, and they are regularly offered for sale in complete
sets on eBay:

"The Time-Life Library of Photography" 17 vols. All B&W. Covers the whole
gamut of photo subjects, has lots of photos from the Time and Life Magazine
archives. It was my first photo book library and I read them over and over
again even now.

In the 80s, Time-Life produced another set, this one directed at
less-sophisticated amateurs who wanted to improve their skills, called "The
Kodak Library of Creative Photography." 18 vols. All Color. The covers
had the distinctive Kodak Yellow and Red.

Those sets are often still available at public libraries.

Finally, Kodak published an oversized paperbound volume called "The Joy of
Photography." Lots of material there, mainly in color.

All of the books I've listed are long out of print, having been published
before the advent of digital photography. They are still readily available
on the used market, and except for the chapters about film, they contain
information and examples that are equally pertinent to digital photography.
I would suggest that, if you are serious about this craft, you acquire all
of them as your basic photo library.

If you want a photography course in a single volume, look for John Hedgcoes
"Complete Photography Course." Published in the 80s, has lots of
assignments covering all sorts of photo scenarios. Oversized, paperbound.

Afterwards, look for Michael Freeman's

Old July 11th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
mick

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:50:36 +0100, Alan wrote:

Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for photography. I
know nothing about settings and how to understand what to adjust to get
the best from a camera. I have just bought a Canon S3 and although it is
not an SLR there are many settings which I have not used before.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sometimes found fairly cheap, but pretty good IMHO:
Digital Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang
Published by DK
ISBN 0-7513-3679-3

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Remove blockage to use my email address

Old July 11th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
Dennis Pogson

Alan wrote:
Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for
photography. I know nothing about settings and how to understand
what to adjust to get the best from a camera. I have just bought a
Canon S3 and although it is not an SLR there are many settings which
I have not used before.

Any help greatly appreciated.

regards
Alan

Go to any Charity Shop (Thrift Shop - US), and you will find loads of books
on photography, and all at giveaway prices.

Dennis.

Old July 11th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert

Helen wrote

But I was wondering what the hell this question has to do with walking? I
thought walkers just wore anoraks, tweeds and sensible shoes, and pointed
at mountains.

Perhaps its because he wants to take photos of mountains and
landscapes and there's a fair few (hill and mountain) walkers who
are also keen photographers.

??

Chris

Old July 11th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
John McWilliams

Helen wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for photography. I
know nothing about settings and how to understand what to adjust to get
the best from a camera. I have just bought a Canon S3 and although it is
not an SLR there are many settings which I have not used before.

I'm not going to advise you on this because I believe you should browse
Waterstones or whatever you have locally and find whatever you think suits
you by reading the back and the frontispiece.

But I was wondering what the hell this question has to do with walking? I
thought walkers just wore anoraks, tweeds and sensible shoes, and pointed at
mountains.

Well, mountains need not be involved with walking, nor hiking. IAE, I
don't know why "Alan" posted to rec.walking in the U.K hierarchy.

Please set followups however you like.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 11th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill K

Helen wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for photography. I
know nothing about settings and how to understand what to adjust to get
the best from a camera. I have just bought a Canon S3 and although it is
not an SLR there are many settings which I have not used before.

I'm not going to advise you on this because I believe you should browse
Waterstones or whatever you have locally and find whatever you think suits
you by reading the back and the frontispiece.

But I was wondering what the hell this question has to do with walking? I
thought walkers just wore anoraks, tweeds and sensible shoes, and pointed at
mountains.

I'm always happy to see a post from Helen even though she at times can
be a bit sharpish. However, her posts never fail to enliven one's day
(except the targets of her wrath).

The OP posed a legitimate question and, presumably, increased his
chances of receiving helpful information from a wide range of sources.

By the way, I'm also interested on recommendations on books covering
digital photography as well as Photoshop. I probably have 100 books on
pre-digital photography but one can never be too rich, too thin or have
too many books.

--
Bill, sweating his butt off in Lake Charles and wishes he was staying
in Roy's B&B in Ayr.

Old July 11th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
Alan

"Helen" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to buy a book on learning techniques etc for photography. I
know nothing about settings and how to understand what to adjust to get
the best from a camera. I have just bought a Canon S3 and although it is
not an SLR there are many settings which I have not used before.

I'm not going to advise you on this because I believe you should browse
Waterstones or whatever you have locally and find whatever you think suits
you by reading the back and the frontispiece.

Will keep it mind thanks.

But I was wondering what the hell this question has to do with walking? I
thought walkers just wore anoraks, tweeds and sensible shoes, and pointed
at mountains.

You must live a pretty sheltered life if you can't work it out....out of
curiosity what the hell do you
take photos of then?

)

PS: It's generally known as outdoor gear these days.

Old July 11th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.walking
Alan

"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
Helen wrote

But I was wondering what the hell this question has to do with walking?
I thought walkers just wore anoraks, tweeds and sensible shoes, and
pointed at mountains.

Perhaps its because he wants to take photos of mountains and
landscapes and there's a fair few (hill and mountain) walkers who
are also keen photographers.

??

Chris

Well done Chris...thank you, not a keen photographer at this moment as I
enjoy the walking but I can see how it can get
to be a bit of a bug this picture taking larky.