Machinist in the house?

Old February 14th 04, 03:34 PM
jjs

Default Machinist in the house?

This is not quite OT. From the Repair Filter thread it is clear that many
of you have machine-shop experience. I have made a prototype camera using
wood (cherry) and would like to make the next protoype in a material that
is more stable, stronger and can be cut and shaped using woodworking
tools. If you can nudge me in the right direction, offline if it is
appropriate, I would be quite greatful.
Old February 14th 04, 03:58 PM
Nick Zentena

jjs wrote:

This is not quite OT. From the Repair Filter thread it is clear that many
of you have machine-shop experience. I have made a prototype camera using
wood (cherry) and would like to make the next protoype in a material that
is more stable, stronger and can be cut and shaped using woodworking
tools. If you can nudge me in the right direction, offline if it is
appropriate, I would be quite greatful.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ren cy=1&SID=

Now when they say it machines just like wood do they mean soft pine or the
worst tropical wood? I think the stuff is fairly common and you should be
able to find it.

Nick

Old February 14th 04, 04:14 PM
MikeWhy

"jjs" wrote in message

This is not quite OT. From the Repair Filter thread it is clear that many
of you have machine-shop experience. I have made a prototype camera using
wood (cherry) and would like to make the next protoype in a material that
is more stable, stronger and can be cut and shaped using woodworking
tools. If you can nudge me in the right direction, offline if it is
appropriate, I would be quite greatful.

Medium format? or sheet film? Toyo makes plastic view and field cameras;
quite reasonable in price, relatively. Now a focal plane shutter with a real
flapping mirror would be interesting.

Old February 14th 04, 04:35 PM
jjs

In article , "MikeWhy"
wrote:

Medium format? or sheet film? Toyo makes plastic view and field cameras;
quite reasonable in price, relatively. Now a focal plane shutter with a real
flapping mirror would be interesting.

LF - 4x5 sheet film, and this camera has an unconventional design so I see
no cluses by looking to what has been made. This camera is not even
similar to anything already made. For example, there are no flat parts as
in a box-type camera. No lens board, no movements, either, and it is very
heavy so I really do need to use something other than wood.
Old February 14th 04, 04:44 PM
jjs

In article , Nick Zentena
wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ren cy=1&SID=

Now when they say it machines just like wood do they mean soft pine or the
worst tropical wood? I think the stuff is fairly common and you should be
able to find it.

Thanks, Nick. I did not find that in my search. In return I will share the
folllowing link, although it gives me more choices than I know what to do
with. http://www.plastic-materials.com/

Two of the sources are right here in Minnesota.

Yes, as you suggested, some wood is very hard. If it cuts like Cherry I
would be happy. If it cuts like Ebony, I'd be as well off using steel.

Thank you again.
Old February 14th 04, 09:48 PM
Bob Monaghan

how about the cambo passport camera case and 4x5" back? take off the 4
lens front and septa, and you have a plastic 4x5" shell with back, simply
mount your lens in front. D. Fletcher mounted a 65mm super angulon on it;
is this for your monster 75mm biogon? ;-0) see photos of Dirk's wide cambo
at http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/homebrew.html HTH bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old February 14th 04, 10:23 PM
jjs

In article , (Bob
Monaghan) wrote:

how about the cambo passport camera case and 4x5" back? take off the 4
lens front and septa, and you have a plastic 4x5" shell with back, simply
mount your lens in front.

I appreciate the tip, Bob, but that's far from the design objective of
this particular camera. I saw this:
http://members.aol.com/dkfletcher/widecamera.jpg but that idea doesn't
work with my lens, which is much too large to be supported by a lens
board. You also recall the 4x5 WA I built several years ago at
http://WIND.WINONA.EDU/~stafford/sandwich-4x5 which is similar to your
idea, but won't work. (Say, would you mind taking that page and putting it
on your server instead of just linking to it? I am losing my server any
day now.)

Some time ago I posted a rejected design he
http://wind.winona.edu/~stafford/WA-75.JPG

That's a modified Printex 4x5 body. A bad idea. Rejected. The body is
totally unneccessary in this project for a number of good reasons.

Old February 15th 04, 02:47 AM
jjs

In article , "George"
wrote:

Delrin or nylon...you can buy sheets from MSC-Direct.com

Thanks, George. I have a lot to learn of these materials, so I'll start
with what has been recommended and study up. Thank you, all!