Question about rough edges.

Old August 27th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

Default Question about rough edges.

I am wondering why pictures I take with my Nikon do not have straight edges
unless
I take them in the mode for display on PC. I did not notice this setting on
any DSLR camera's yet
and if DSLR's regular settings can do it with out the rough edges why does
my camera have that extra setting.
I guess I am just worried my pics might have rough edges - like the cat
whiskers pic in another thread.

Old August 27th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Just Shoot Me wrote:

I am wondering why pictures I take with my Nikon do not have straight edges
unless
I take them in the mode for display on PC. I did not notice this setting on
any DSLR camera's yet
and if DSLR's regular settings can do it with out the rough edges why does
my camera have that extra setting.
I guess I am just worried my pics might have rough edges - like the cat
whiskers pic in another thread.

The cat whiskers was resized down in our web browsers, forcing temporary
aliasing artifacts. This is not a problem for normal resizing and use.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 27th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Just Shoot Me wrote:
I am wondering why pictures I take with my Nikon do not have straight
edges

Please show an example or two.

unless I take them in the mode for display on PC.

What do you mean "I take them in the mode for display on PC"?
Which one would that be?

I guess I am just worried my pics might have
rough edges - like the cat whiskers pic in another thread.

The cat whiskers seem like rough edges due to, ah, non-intelligent
resizing.

-Wolfgang
Old August 27th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
Just Shoot Me wrote:
I am wondering why pictures I take with my Nikon do not have straight
edges

Please show an example or two.

unless I take them in the mode for display on PC.

What do you mean "I take them in the mode for display on PC"?
Which one would that be?
-Wolfgang

on my camera it select where it says PC on image quality.
1024/768res
i am pretty sure I still had the rough edges after resizing in adobe
photshop elements
when taking pics on the other settings.
perhaps on my nikon i would have had better luck shooting in RAW and letting
Adobe handle the resize.
instead of first the camera doing it and then adobe. 1 time resize might be
better than 2.

JSM

Old August 28th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Just Shoot Me wrote:

What do you mean "I take them in the mode for display on PC"?
Which one would that be?

on my camera it select where it says PC on image quality.
1024/768res

Ah. 3:4 crop, 0.7 Mpix (well, there were cameras with 0.3 MPix,
but any reasonable digital camera can deliver that ...)

i am pretty sure I still had the rough edges after resizing in adobe
photshop elements when taking pics on the other settings.

Please show an original and the result after resizing with that
problem.

Please state the exact settings of the resizing tool as you
resized.

-Wolfgang
Old September 6th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

Just Shoot Me wrote:

What do you mean "I take them in the mode for display on PC"?
Which one would that be?

on my camera it select where it says PC on image quality.
1024/768res

Ah. 3:4 crop, 0.7 Mpix (well, there were cameras with 0.3 MPix,
but any reasonable digital camera can deliver that ...)

i am pretty sure I still had the rough edges after resizing in adobe
photshop elements when taking pics on the other settings.

Please show an original and the result after resizing with that
problem.

Please state the exact settings of the resizing tool as you
resized.

-Wolfgang

I had those on my old computer but think I saved a few. soon as I get my
web site
pointed to my other web site correctly.

JSM

Old September 7th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

On Aug 26, 8:02 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
I am wondering why pictures I take with my Nikon do not have straight edges
unless
I take them in the mode for display on PC. I did not notice this setting on
any DSLR camera's yet
and if DSLR's regular settings can do it with out the rough edges why does
my camera have that extra setting.
I guess I am just worried my pics might have rough edges - like the cat
whiskers pic in another thread.

You are referring to a problem called "stair-stepping." This happens
when you resize pictures or display pictures at certain resolutions
using a particular camera on a particular screen. If you want to see
if the camera is really causing it, take a look at the original
picture at 100% zoom and see if the stair-stepping is still there. By
the way, this is also the only way you can judge sharpness.

What Nikon has a mode for display on PC?

Old October 27th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Just Shoot Me wrote:

What do you mean "I take them in the mode for display on PC"?
Which one would that be?

on my camera it select where it says PC on image quality.
1024/768res

i am pretty sure I still had the rough edges after resizing in adobe
photshop elements when taking pics on the other settings.

Please show an original and the result after resizing with that
problem.

Please state the exact settings of the resizing tool as you
resized.

I had those on my old computer but think I saved a few. soon as I get my
web site
pointed to my other web site correctly.

Well? Have you repointed your web sites?

-Wolfgang

[SI] - Mandate - Rough and Tough JimKramer 35mm Photo Equipment 0 August 16th 07 12:35 PM
ROUGH DAY AT WALMART !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 45 January 2nd 06 11:59 PM
ROUGH DAY AT WALMART !!! Annika1980 35mm Photo Equipment 13 December 31st 05 04:21 PM
Edges browning Mike In The Darkroom 11 November 28th 05 01:48 AM
Best Digital Camera for Rough Outdoor Use Michael Bushey Digital Photography 5 August 17th 04 10:41 PM