Backing paper what's it good for?

Old February 23rd 04, 05:25 PM
Nick Zentena

Default Backing paper what's it good for?

So what does backing paper do?

1) Keeps the film safe from fogging when out of the camera.

2) Helps protect from scratching while inside the camera?

3) provides frame numbers for the red window

Anything else?

The reason I ask is because I went and bought an old Kodak 1a. For
some wierd reason Kodak doesn't sell 116 film anymore. If I cover the red
window and figure out how many turns equals one frame anybody think I can
just roll 70mm film onto empty spools with no backing paper?

Also anybody care to comment on the Taylor Cooke F/6.3 lens that is on
the camera?

Nick
Old February 23rd 04, 10:30 PM
Bob Monaghan

Hi Nick,

you could probably do it, but unless you really need the few extra mm of
film width, you probably wouldn't want to use 70mm but 120 rollfilm
instead. With 70mm, it has to be darkroom loaded etc., and unloaded on the
camera, and then you have to find a lab or get the 70mm tanks etc. to do
the developing, and there are some emulsions only in 120 rollfilm etc.

the easier way is to put in a stub adapter (e.g., some U.S. nickels or
piece of dowel rod) in the camera and use 120 rollfilm. Now you can load
and unload in subdued light as usual, and the 120 rollfilm is cheap and
easy to get developed, with 120 film being easier to locate and buy etc.

see related tips at http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/postcard.html

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old February 23rd 04, 11:17 PM
Nick Zentena

Bob Monaghan wrote:

Hi Nick,

you could probably do it, but unless you really need the few extra mm of
film width, you probably wouldn't want to use 70mm but 120 rollfilm
instead. With 70mm, it has to be darkroom loaded etc., and unloaded on the
camera, and then you have to find a lab or get the 70mm tanks etc. to do
the developing, and there are some emulsions only in 120 rollfilm etc.

Both 116 tanks and 70mm film are pretty easy to get from Ebay. My two
tanks cost $1 each. They aren't the latest designs mind you but they are
both either never used or close to it. Also long rolls of 70mm [100'] are not
too expensive. For some reason the short 15' rolls often sell for more
money. I don't see myself shooting lots of rolls back to back with this
camera so I figure I can live with the loading/unloading in the darkroom.
Those 120 rolls are 16% narrower. That's tiny-)

Nick