Any Leaf users around here?

Old March 4th 05, 04:57 PM
Neil Gould

Default Any Leaf users around here?

Hi all,

I have a Leaf 45 on the way, and have had a chance to look over some of
the user manuals. This scanner is going to be a departure from my previous
scanners in many ways! I'd appreciate being able to ask some questions of
those with experience with this model.

Neil Gould
--------------------------------------
Terra Tu AV - www.terratu.com
Technical Graphics & Media

Old March 4th 05, 07:07 PM
rafeb

Neil Gould wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Leaf 45 on the way, and have had a chance to look over some of
the user manuals. This scanner is going to be a departure from my previous
scanners in many ways! I'd appreciate being able to ask some questions of
those with experience with this model.

Regards,

I understand they have a group for them
on Yahoo. There's a fellow not far from
here with two of them. As I recall the
resolution for MF is only 2500 dpi. A very
fine machine in its day, but that day has
come and gone.

I presume you've got the GPIB adapter
that you're going to need?

http://www.ni.com/gpib/

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 4th 05, 08:38 PM
Neil Gould

Hi rafe,

Recently, rafeb posted:

Neil Gould wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Leaf 45 on the way, and have had a chance to look over some
of the user manuals. This scanner is going to be a departure from my
previous scanners in many ways! I'd appreciate being able to ask
some questions of those with experience with this model.

I understand they have a group for them
on Yahoo.

Thanks for the "heads up". I'll look around.

There's a fellow not far from
here with two of them. As I recall the
resolution for MF is only 2500 dpi.

According to the manual, the resolution for 6x12.7 cm is 2540, and goes
from about 1200 dpi @ 12.7x12.7 cm to 5080 dpi for 3x12.7 cm. So, I'm not
sure what the maximum resolution for 6x6 will be, as I haven't gotten far
enough into the manual to know exactly how that works beyond it being
related to magnification.

A very
fine machine in its day, but that day has
come and gone.

Perhaps. OTOH, I'll have to see how the scans look. I agree that as it is
an older machine, one might expect that it can be outperformed by newer
gear, but perhaps not by "just any" newer gear. ;-) If it takes an Aztek
to outperform it, I won't be disappointed. ;-)

I presume you've got the GPIB adapter
that you're going to need?

Yes, it's coming with the scanner.

Neil

Old March 4th 05, 08:38 PM
Neil Gould

Hi rafe,

Recently, rafeb posted:

Old March 4th 05, 09:14 PM
rafeb

Neil Gould wrote:

Perhaps. OTOH, I'll have to see how the scans look. I agree that as it is
an older machine, one might expect that it can be outperformed by newer
gear, but perhaps not by "just any" newer gear. ;-) If it takes an Aztek
to outperform it, I won't be disappointed. ;-)

It doesn't take an Aztek. Just a Nikon.

I have scans on my "snippets" page directly
comparing the Leaf 45 to the LS-8000 on a
couple of my '645 negatives.

The Leaf scans were done by Austin Franklin.
(Austin is a big fan of the Leaf scanners.)

BTW, I've added a set of new scans specifically
meant to deal with Dmax issues. You'll need a
calibrated monitor to view these properly.

(Look for the table labeled "One Perfect Chrome..."
down near the bottom of the page.)

The Leaf can do 5000 dpi on 35 mm, but it is
seriously slow at that resolution.

rafe b.
scan snippets:
http://www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis

Old March 4th 05, 09:26 PM
Gordon Moat

Neil Gould wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Leaf 45 on the way, and have had a chance to look over some of
the user manuals. This scanner is going to be a departure from my previous
scanners in many ways! I'd appreciate being able to ask some questions of
those with experience with this model.

Neil Gould
--------------------------------------
Terra Tu AV - www.terratu.com
Technical Graphics & Media

I used one in the past, but I don't remember too much about it. At the time,
I thought the results were great, though it was a new system then. Since that
time, I think there are much better scanning systems on the market. Off hand,
I remember that the film holders were easy to use. I think you will need to
dedicate a computer to it just for scanning operations. Good luck.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old March 4th 05, 10:02 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Gordon Moat posted:

Neil Gould wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Leaf 45 on the way, and have had a chance to look over some
of the user manuals. This scanner is going to be a departure from my
previous scanners in many ways! I'd appreciate being able to ask
some questions of those with experience with this model.

[...]

I used one in the past, but I don't remember too much about it. At
the time, I thought the results were great, though it was a new
system then. Since that time, I think there are much better scanning
systems on the market. Off hand, I remember that the film holders
were easy to use. I think you will need to dedicate a computer to it
just for scanning operations. Good luck.

Thanks, Gordon. I do plan to use it with a system that is pretty much
unused at this point.

Neil

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old March 4th 05, 10:10 PM
rafeb

Neil Gould wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Leaf 45 on the way, and have had a chance to look over some
of the user manuals. This scanner is going to be a departure from my
previous scanners in many ways! I'd appreciate being able to ask
some questions of those with experience with this model.

[...]

I used one in the past, but I don't remember too much about it. At
the time, I thought the results were great, though it was a new
system then. Since that time, I think there are much better scanning
systems on the market. Off hand, I remember that the film holders
were easy to use. I think you will need to dedicate a computer to it
just for scanning operations. Good luck.

Thanks, Gordon. I do plan to use it with a system that is pretty much
unused at this point.

There were never any 32-bit drivers for it,
but I've seen it used on a Win98 or Win2K
machine.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 4th 05, 10:30 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, rafeb posted:

Neil Gould wrote:

Perhaps. OTOH, I'll have to see how the scans look. I agree that as
it is an older machine, one might expect that it can be outperformed
by newer gear, but perhaps not by "just any" newer gear. ;-) If it
takes an Aztek to outperform it, I won't be disappointed. ;-)

It doesn't take an Aztek. Just a Nikon.

I have scans on my "snippets" page directly
comparing the Leaf 45 to the LS-8000 on a
couple of my '645 negatives.

Hmm. Well, they were both rather disappointing in different ways. The
differences could be as much due to operator choices and methods. It would
also be nice to see comparisons to "overview" shots from each of the
scanners, rather than one, to know how the entire scene is rendered,
rather than just the selected portions that, at least in the case of these
comparisons, involved limited color and range.

The Leaf scans were done by Austin Franklin.
(Austin is a big fan of the Leaf scanners.)

BTW, I've added a set of new scans specifically
meant to deal with Dmax issues. You'll need a
calibrated monitor to view these properly.

(Look for the table labeled "One Perfect Chrome..."
down near the bottom of the page.)

I found these to be interesting, largely because of the direct comparison
of snippets to the overview shots.

The Leaf can do 5000 dpi on 35 mm, but it is
seriously slow at that resolution.

If I'm in a hurry, I can use one of my ArtixScans. ;-)

Neil