Film scanners?

Old May 13th 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Film scanners?

On Fri, 12 May 2017 19:58:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What is the metric for visual appeal? What is the metric for fun?

fun isn't the issue.

Nope. Not for you. Some of the rest of us do like to enjoy our
hobby, though.

I certainly enjoy digital photography; probably more than I enjoyed
film.

Well, I enjoy photography. Not digital photography. Not film
photography. Just photography. Going out and trying to find a
subject that's interesting and capturing it in an interesting way.
Doesn't make any difference how it's captured.

I also enjoy post-processing digital images and seeing what I can get
from them. I don't do it myself, but I can understand why someone
would enjoy doing the same thing in a darkroom with film.

nospam says fun isn't the issue. I think it's the whole issue. If
he
isn't enjoying photography, he should find another hobby.

you're twisting things again, and this isn't about me either.

nospam says the results are better with digital, but "results", for
the hobby photographer is very subjective. What pleases the person
who captures it, is the best result.

missing the point *entirely*.

It is an absolute given that whenever you accuse someone of the
missing the point, the point missed is the point that you are the only
one concerned with.

nope.

the topic is whether digital can duplicate the film look and whether it
can exceed what film can do.

But that is no longer the current point: just read above.

whether someone has fun shooting photos was *never* the issue.

It wasn't the original issue but it has been since I wrote Message-ID:
not far back in the
thread.

that was after tony decided to bash.

Even if you are right, what has that got to do with it?

because i'm responding to his attacks. do try to keep up.

You should learn to do it without messing up unrelated branches of the
thread.

Eric Stevens
Old May 13th 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the topic is whether digital can duplicate the film look and whether it
can exceed what film can do.

But that is no longer the current point: just read above.

whether someone has fun shooting photos was *never* the issue.

It wasn't the original issue but it has been since I wrote Message-ID:
not far back in the
thread.

that was after tony decided to bash.

Even if you are right, what has that got to do with it?

because i'm responding to his attacks. do try to keep up.

You should learn to do it without messing up unrelated branches of the
thread.

nothing was messed up.
Old May 13th 17, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-11 17:02:25 +0000, "Russell D." said:
On 04/21/2017 09:28 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Since when do we need a "reason" to pursue a hobby from which we
derive pleasure? Since when is someone else's way of pursuing a
hobby
not legitimate?

Not one person is arguing that film is not a legitimate pursuit.
It's the claims of the superiority of film output that we are arguing
about.

Who made that claim? I've followed this thread, and nospam has
denied that claim, but he's denying something that hasn't been claimed.

it was claimed.

This is what nospam does to a thread to create an argument where
there should not be an argument. The thread started on the subject of
scanners. Then, Russell D. posted: "Exactly what I was thinking
when I bought my CoolScan. Then I got bored with digital and started
shooting film again. Glad I didn't sell it."

No claim that film is superior. No claim that he can do something
with film that can't be done with digital. Just a simple statement
that he started shooting film again.

in another post, he claimed film can do things digital cannot.
that is a completely bogus claim.

once again, you are twisting things.

Liar. Talk abut twisting things, you were saying that claims were
made about film being superior long before Russell made any comment
about film vs digital in this thread.

What Russell posted late in the thread was:

"Bill, I can take shoot a roll of TriX and develop it in D-76 1:1 and
get one look and then stand develop another roll in 1:100 Rodinal for
an hour and get another look and then develop another roll in coffee
(Caffenol) for yet another look. It's fun. You cannot duplicate the
experience or the look with digital. Film has a unique look. It is
not better or worse than digital. It is just different."

he is wrong.

it *can* be duplicated.

OK, show me digitally duplicated TriX semi-stand developed in 1:100
Rodinal.

This is an ExposureX2 Tri-X simulation with a Rodinal developer
treatment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgw8teb17zmzvlz/DSF4472-E.jpg

This example pretty much illustrates my point. That might me Tri-X in
Rodinal at 78 degrees instead of 68 degrees. This is more typical:

https://flic.kr/p/SiATq9

Well, we are talking Tri-X and the variations to that film which can
start in the camera, and continue with the variations regarding
developer choice, time, and temps.
Then comes printing.
I have all sorts of treatments:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1hmoi6stsk7tb3/DSF1370-E2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8jlkoeavh7ifi4/DSF1371-E2.jpg

...snip...

Emulating film is more than just getting the characteristic curves right.
~~
OK, I'm still fascinated with realist emulation of grain. None of your
posted treatments seem to have captured the grain quality of
Russell D's example.
~
One of the differences I've noted is grain interactions along sharp
lines. IMHO your treatments seem too clean on those sharp edges.
~
I've been playing with way to make those edges more realistic.
Here's one of my test runs on one of your examples:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q771c6qimx...ynth%29-2A.jpg

I think I'm making some progress in my quest, but lots more work to do.

Interesting.
This shot and rendition might get closer to the softening of edges, and
coarser Tri-X salt 'n' pepper grain that you are trying for.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgw8teb17zmzvlz/DSF4472-E.jpg

However ultimately the end result should be an image which works in
one's mind's eye. For that sometimes a good B&W treatment with some
appropriate film emulation expresses what is needed.
Sometimes a rendition in color expresses just the right mood.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohmkg7fwk3vbawv/DSF1372-E3.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 13th 17, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 13 May 2017 01:00:17 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the topic is whether digital can duplicate the film look and whether it
can exceed what film can do.

But that is no longer the current point: just read above.

whether someone has fun shooting photos was *never* the issue.

It wasn't the original issue but it has been since I wrote Message-ID:
not far back in the
thread.

that was after tony decided to bash.

Even if you are right, what has that got to do with it?

because i'm responding to his attacks. do try to keep up.

You should learn to do it without messing up unrelated branches of the
thread.

nothing was messed up.

Only in your mind.

Eric Stevens

film scanners James[_3_] In The Darkroom 0 October 8th 09 08:37 AM
Film Scanners Stephen[_2_] Digital Photography 1 July 10th 09 07:56 PM
Film scanners anyone? Ted Gibson Digital Photography 15 January 8th 08 04:31 AM
Film Scanners Gel Digital Photography 20 February 21st 05 01:25 AM
M/F film scanners - again? Rod Medium Format Photography Equipment 17 May 31st 04 04:14 PM