Old lens + 300d - what happens?

Old August 12th 04, 02:33 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Default Old lens + 300d - what happens?

I have an old (3 yrs) sigma lens attached to my film eos 300 and am
considering a 300d. I know the lens will probably need re-chipping before it
will 'work' on the newer digital bodies, but what exactly will be the
problem - in what way will it not 'work' without re-chipping?? Is it just
the autofocus that will fail, because surely the camera would be able to
'see' through the lens and still take a photo, or might the camera be unable
to measure the light properly?? Or will the camera just refuse to take
anything?

I know - take the lens to a shop and try it, only I don't live near any
camera shops, so this will have to wait a while!

Old August 12th 04, 02:49 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Gareth Tuckwell
writes
I have an old (3 yrs) sigma lens attached to my film eos 300 and am
considering a 300d. I know the lens will probably need re-chipping before it
will 'work' on the newer digital bodies, but what exactly will be the
problem - in what way will it not 'work' without re-chipping?? Is it just
the autofocus that will fail, because surely the camera would be able to
'see' through the lens and still take a photo, or might the camera be unable
to measure the light properly?? Or will the camera just refuse to take
anything?

I know - take the lens to a shop and try it, only I don't live near any
camera shops, so this will have to wait a while!

Based on my experience (8-10 yr old 14mm Sigma on 10D) it will only work
at full aperture - it just won't stop down at all. It will IIRC take a
picture if set at full aperture. If you try setting at any other
aperture you may get an error message.

David
--
David Littlewood

Old August 12th 04, 06:19 PM
Tony Spadaro

One of mine gave an error code, locking up the camera, and the other simply
worked but the diaphragm never closed down. One had been re-chipped once but
I don't know what the problem was as I didn't own it at that time. Both
lenses were deemed "too old" by Sigma to be re-chipped. The one I bought new
was 6. The one that had been re-chipped had come back from Sigma only one
year earlier after its re-chipping, which took 6 months - during which the
owner replaced it with a better lens and I picked up on what turned out to
be a very bad trade.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old August 12th 04, 06:21 PM
Boris Harss

Hi!

I have an old (3 yrs) sigma lens attached to my film eos 300 and am
considering a 300d. I know the lens will probably need re-chipping before it
will 'work' on the newer digital bodies

A 3-year old Sigma will likely be fine without re-chiping. The problem
allready occured with some of the later Canon film bodies.

, but what exactly will be the
problem - in what way will it not 'work' without re-chipping??

I get an "Error 99"

Is it just
the autofocus that will fail, because surely the camera would be able to
'see' through the lens and still take a photo, or might the camera be unable
to measure the light properly?? Or will the camera just refuse to take
anything?

Unfortunately the latter - at lease in my case with an 14mm/3.5 Sigma

I know - take the lens to a shop and try it, only I don't live near any
camera shops, so this will have to wait a while!

The loss would likely be small compraed to the price of the Camera...
;-)). I'd just try and assume for now that all will work.

Cheers,
B.
Old August 12th 04, 07:06 PM
E. Magnuson

On 2004-08-12, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
in what way will it not 'work' without re-chipping??

You will get an "Err 99" indication and you will not be able
to take a photo. Turning off AF will not make any difference.

--
Erik
Old August 12th 04, 07:06 PM
E. Magnuson

Old August 12th 04, 10:32 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

I know it won't work as I contacted Sigma, they didn't say why it would not
work, only that lenses of my type (28-300 Aspherical Hyperzoom) with a
serial number earlier than 3001001, would cost 35GBP to re-chip the lens.
This would be only £5 with proof of purchase, but I don't have that!

Thanks for the advice everyone though.

Hi!

Old August 12th 04, 11:12 PM
Tony Spadaro

Wrong. The problem is with Sigma. They reverse engineer the mount
consequently Sigam lenses are never actually compatible with Canon bodies.
Sigma has no idea what is really in the Canon chip. Just one more way for
Sigma to screw the public in order to save a buck.