non-photographic object sources

Old October 21st 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
richie

Default non-photographic object sources

Hi

Is there any (earthly) daytime object which a digital camera struggles
to take a clean picture of?

Presumably the sun is difficult to phtograph, but i'm interested in
objects that are photographed with lenses over a 100 meter distance?

Thanks for looking in, I do appreciate your helpful input.

Cheers

Old October 21st 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gerald-arden

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:13:38 -0700, richie
wrote:

Hi

Is there any (earthly) daytime object which a digital camera struggles
to take a clean picture of?

Presumably the sun is difficult to phtograph, but i'm interested in
objects that are photographed with lenses over a 100 meter distance?

Thanks for looking in, I do appreciate your helpful input.

Cheers

Spider webs, due to motion from the slightest breezes, how fine they can be,
some spider's web strands being finer than the resolution of the camera, and the
vast DOF required to adequately capture one when not framed perpendicular to the
plane it is constructed on.

Certain types of snow. One time the snowflakes all formed in a particular
prismatic shape that caused every snowflake to refract into an intense rainbow
of colors. All snow covered surfaces looking just like they were covered with
white rainbow-colored glitter. I struggled trying to find the best exposure to
document this unique phenomenon, so the snow wasn't gray but the colors were
still visible. If exposed too light the bright and intense specular points of
colors were all clipped, becoming invisible. If I knew about HDR photography at
the time that would have been a huge help to capturing the effect. So I just
settled for dark-gray colored snow covered in millions of rainbows. This is a
phenomenon that I've never seen before, nor since. Standing in the middle of a
field of billions of rainbows was pretty neat. Trying to photograph it to prove
it to others (because I knew nobody would have believed me from just telling
them about it) was near impossible.

Any macro subjects in dim lighting and using available light so as not to
destroy the authenticity of the subject and its environment.

There are some subjects that still-frames cannot adequately capture and you must
use video to document them. Some examples would be the morning mist that rises
from coniferous mountain forests in slowly rising waves of fog. In still-frame
images it just looks like patches of fog that shouldn't be there, in video you
see why they are there and why they belong there. The cloud formations that form
behind mountain peaks, as the moisture laden air is lifted just a bit and leaves
the peak as a trail of clouds. The mountain peak looking like it's ripping the
clouds out of an empty sky. The formation and effect totally lost in a
still-frame.

Those are a few situations that come to mind easily, there's others that are a
challenge to capture in photography. I'll probably remember them after hitting
"send".