Nikon DSLR Questions

Old July 26th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

Default Nikon DSLR Questions

Now that I'm retiring within the next few months, I'd like to finally
devote more time to my photography and really learn how to use a good
camera. I presently have a Panasonic FZ7, but would like to step up to
a DSLR.

I'm somewhat familiar with film SLR's, having used one many years ago,
but never getting into all of its features (due to lack of time). I
have my eye on the Nikon DSLR's and am asking for opinions on which
model might suit me best, between the D40, D40x, and the D80.

I was at Circuit City today, scouting these models out, and I see that
the D40 and D40x are physically a bit smaller than the D80. I'm not
sure if the LCD is the same on all 3, but I really liked the layout and
LCD of the D80.

Most of my photos would be outdoors -- nature, wildlife, landscape and
some sports. I like that the D40 has DOF preview, which (I think) the
other two models don't have.

One thing that I'm not clear about is whether or not any of these
cameras have image stabilization. Also -- is the Auto Focus in the lens
on all three models -- or in the body?

I expect that the included 18-135 zoom lens, would fit my needs well, at
least at first.

Any thoughts on which of these models to choose? And any
recommendations on where to get it at the best price? (Online or
Brick-and-Mortar -- It doesn't matter to me.)

Thanks!
Old July 26th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

BRH wrote in message . ..
[...]

Sorry, you are wrong. The D80 is the only one of these which has DOF
preview.
I must tell you though that despite over 50 years of trying, I still have a
hard time
telling much from this feature. The view through the viewfinder darkens so
much
that I can't tell about DOF.

One thing that I'm not clear about is whether or not any of these cameras
have image stabilization. Also -- is the Auto Focus in the lens on all
three models -- or in the body?

Image stabilization is implemented in the lens.
Auto focus is implemented in the body.

I expect that the included 18-135 zoom lens, would fit my needs well, at
least at first.

Any thoughts on which of these models to choose? And any recommendations
on where to get it at the best price? (Online or Brick-and-Mortar -- It
doesn't matter to me.)

Thanks!

As for which one - well it boils down to what you want to do.
The D40 has fewer megapixels, but what it does have will work for sizes up
to 11x17.

The choice between the D40X and the D80 depends on how you value the various
small differences between the two.

Online, the best place to get one is B&H Photovideo in New York. They may
be
a little higher, but they deliver the merchandise. Local stores in my area
will match
the B&H retail price, but the sales tax can be more than the shipping cost.

Sorry, I can't comment on the18-135 zoom. My 18-70 lens is quite good.
Since I
already own an 85mm f1.8 and an 180mm f2.8, there is little need for me to
get
a 18-135 lens.

Jim

Old July 26th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , BRH wrote:

Most of my photos would be outdoors -- nature, wildlife, landscape and
some sports. I like that the D40 has DOF preview, which (I think) the
other two models don't have.

i think you mean the d80 has dof preview; the d40/d40x do not.

One thing that I'm not clear about is whether or not any of these
cameras have image stabilization. Also -- is the Auto Focus in the lens
on all three models -- or in the body?

nikon has image stabilization in the lens and not the body. the
55-200vr is very affordable (about $250).

the d80 has a focus motor and can focus with any nikon (or third party)
autofocus lens. the d40/d40x omits the motor in the camera (one reason
it is smaller) and therefore it will only autofocus with nikon afs and
sigma hsm lenses (there's over 40 from which to choose). if you expect
to get some of the older non-afs lenses, the d80 would be a better
choice, otherwise you probably won't notice it with the new lenses.

I expect that the included 18-135 zoom lens, would fit my needs well, at
least at first.

Any thoughts on which of these models to choose?

depends whether you need the additional features that the d80 has
versus the d40/d40x. and it is tough to beat the price of the d40.

And any
recommendations on where to get it at the best price? (Online or
Brick-and-Mortar -- It doesn't matter to me.)

b&h photo in new york has competitive prices and excellent service. you
might be able to beat their price by a little but you risk getting a
sleazy merchant.
Old July 27th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

BRH wrote:
model might suit me best, between the D40, D40x, and the D80.

I was at Circuit City today, scouting these models out, and I see that
the D40 and D40x are physically a bit smaller than the D80.

That is correct. The D40[x] is the smallest and lightest dSLR. Which
depending on your preferences can be an advantage or disadvantage. I never
could get my fingers sorted on the D40[x] and opted for the larger D80.

I'm not
sure if the LCD is the same on all 3, but I really liked the layout
and LCD of the D80.

The separate status LCD on the D80 is certainly a very nice feature.

Most of my photos would be outdoors -- nature, wildlife, landscape and
some sports. I like that the D40 has DOF preview, which (I think) the
other two models don't have.

The D80 definitately has DOF preview. I would assume the D40x does, too,
considering that it's basically the same model as the D40, just with a
larger sensor and very few other modifications.

One thing that I'm not clear about is whether or not any of these
cameras have image stabilization.

No, Nikon decided to put the image stabilization in the lenses, which is
more expensive (you need the stabilization in each lens) but more effective,
too.

Also -- is the Auto Focus in the
lens on all three models -- or in the body?

Wrong question (and a matter of heated arguments).
The D40[x] DOES NOT have an autofocus motor, therefore lenses without
buildin autofocus motor must be focussed manually. Only AF-S lenses will
auto-focus on a D40[x]. Caveat: many people claim that manual focussing with
the D40[x] is a pain because of the small viewfinder which doesn't have any
of the old-fashioned aides like split screen or microprisms.

The D80 DOES have a buildin autofocus motor, therefore AF as well as AF-S
lenses can be used in full auto-focus mode.

Note: On the one hand AF-S becomes more and more the standard, even for
third-party lenses. On the other hand high-end lenses, in particular primes,
are not available as AF-S at all.

I expect that the included 18-135 zoom lens, would fit my needs well,
at least at first.

Probably. It is not top of the line, but for a kit lens certainly more than
adequate. There are much worse lenses out there.

Any thoughts on which of these models to choose? And any

Matter of your very own preference. If you are thinking about moving up
sometime to more lenses and more serious photography then the D80 offers
more flexibility and options.

recommendations on where to get it at the best price? (Online or
Brick-and-Mortar -- It doesn't matter to me.)

Before you order online I highly recommend to check
http://www.resellerratings.com. There are some real horse peddlers out
there, e.g. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
My favourite store is B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/). More expensive
than the scum bags, but still good prices with excellent service.

jue

Old July 27th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

Jim wrote:

Sorry, you are wrong. The D80 is the only one of these which has DOF
preview.

You are correct, Jim. I mis-typed and meant to type "D80".

It seems that everyone recommends B&H. I'll check them out.

Thanks to all.
Old July 27th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:55:52 -0500
GoKiting wrote:

What a shame, every P&S camera that I've used with an EVF never has
this problem. They show any DOF effects clearly at full EVF
brightness. You also don't have to press any special button to
achieve this. Whatever DOF from whatever f/stop you choose before
taking the shot is automatically seen in the EVF.

People actually pay extra for this feature? Even when it's as
crippled as it is in a DSLR? How very sad.

Did you actually read what you have written?

How can an evf viewfinder show ANY dof effects as it is just a
viewfinder with limited resolution?

Please learn about the subject before posting.

--
Neil
Reverse ie and delete l for email.
Old July 27th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"GoKiting" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:47:58 +0100, Neil Ellwood

wrote:

Please learn about the subject before posting.

Yes, you really should.

No, it is more like you should know more.

What you see through the viewfinder is the depth of field with the lens wide
open. This is rarely what I care about.
When you stop the lens down to the taking aperature, the view through the
finder must darken. At this point, it
is most difficult to judge depth of field. This practice has been the case
since single lens reflex cameras were introduced
in the 30s (or earlier).

Since the LCD on the P&S cameras never darkens, it can only be showing
whatever the depth of field is at full aperature.
Thus, while it may show some depth of field, it is not what people need to
judge depth of field.

Jim

Old July 27th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:03:53 GMT, Jim wrote:

Please learn about the subject before posting.

Yes, you really should.

No, it is more like you should know more.

What you see through the viewfinder is the depth of field with the lens wide
open. This is rarely what I care about.

You may mean well, but time spent trying to educate a troll is
time wasted. This particular troll makes little effort to disguise
its nature, but some of its merry band of sock puppets can be more
deceptive, so it's wiser to spend time recognizing them from the :

**** CHDK / Photoline 32 / anti-DSLR Sock Puppet Troll List ****

Baumbadier, Brad M, CharleiD, CoolGuy, DOCJohnson, EdBancroft,
, Fed-Up-With-Corel, FrankLM, GilfordBrimly,
GoKiting, HokusPokus, JoeBS, Lurk, NameHere, New2_S3,
, RockyZ, SayWhat, SelfImporantName,
SelfImportantName, Soujourner, spamless, TryinToHelp, WillyWonka
and X-Man.

Old July 27th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:11:33 -0500, GoKiting wrote:

As I said, you really should learn more about these cameras before you
make such ridiculous and foolish uniformed comments about them.

So tell us, o great master of check kiting, what kind of garb does
the well dressed comment wear these days? Military surplus?
Doctor's duds? Something else? Or is your logic as bad as your
spelling.

Old July 29th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

GoKiting wrote:

What a shame, every P&S camera that I've used with an EVF never has
this problem. They show any DOF effects clearly at full EVF
brightness. You also don't have to press any special button to
achieve this. Whatever DOF from whatever f/stop you choose before
taking the shot is automatically seen in the EVF.

People actually pay extra for this feature? Even when it's as
crippled as it is in a DSLR? How very sad.

Did you actually read what you have written?

How can an evf viewfinder show ANY dof effects as it is just a
viewfinder with limited resolution?

Better than an optical viewfinder if it uses digital zoom.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[