Today, at the local camera store....

Old December 30th 05, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Today, at the local camera store....

A couple had come in with two Rebels, one a 300 the other an XT.
They were trying out different lenses to see if they could get
better pictures. The store clerk was blunt; She told them to get
rid of the 18-55mm zooms. She repeatedly told them the lens
"wasn't very good." Luckily, the couple listened because they wanted
something with more range to be able to use them more often.
I think they settled on a pair of 17-85s. Funny thing was, the store
wouldn't take the 18-55s in-trade, only consignment!
-Rich
Old December 31st 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Rich wrote:
A couple had come in with two Rebels, one a 300 the other an XT.
They were trying out different lenses to see if they could get
better pictures. The store clerk was blunt; She told them to get
rid of the 18-55mm zooms. She repeatedly told them the lens
"wasn't very good." Luckily, the couple listened because they wanted
something with more range to be able to use them more often.
I think they settled on a pair of 17-85s. Funny thing was, the store
wouldn't take the 18-55s in-trade, only consignment!
-Rich

What is with you and the Canon kit lens? Did one molest you in a back
alley? My God man, let it go or get therapy!
Old December 31st 05, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Rich" wrote in message
A couple had come in with two Rebels, one a 300 the other an XT.

YOU in a camera shop?
You weren't actually considering the purchase of a camera were you?

Old December 31st 05, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

A couple had come in with two Rebels, one a 300 the other an XT.
They were trying out different lenses to see if they could get
better pictures. The store clerk was blunt; She told them to get
rid of the 18-55mm zooms. She repeatedly told them the lens
"wasn't very good." Luckily, the couple listened because they wanted
something with more range to be able to use them more often.
I think they settled on a pair of 17-85s. Funny thing was, the store
wouldn't take the 18-55s in-trade, only consignment!

The 18-55 is quite good. My girlfriend takes tack sharp photos with it.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old December 31st 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:55:01 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
wrote:

Rich wrote:
A couple had come in with two Rebels, one a 300 the other an XT.
They were trying out different lenses to see if they could get
better pictures. The store clerk was blunt; She told them to get
rid of the 18-55mm zooms. She repeatedly told them the lens
"wasn't very good." Luckily, the couple listened because they wanted
something with more range to be able to use them more often.
I think they settled on a pair of 17-85s. Funny thing was, the store
wouldn't take the 18-55s in-trade, only consignment!
-Rich

What is with you and the Canon kit lens? Did one molest you in a back
alley? My God man, let it go or get therapy!

Because I believe that the lens should exceed the sensor, not the
other way around. Or, why should anyone use a $100 lens to hobble
an $800 camera, OR would you put a $1000 paint job on an S-series
Mercedes....
-Rich
Old January 1st 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote:

Rich wrote:
[...]

In that case, you shouldn't be allowed to use a 28-135 IS on a 1Ds mkII.
"Exceed the sensor?" Few lenses will do that, and only expensive ones, at
that...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 1st 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote:

Rich wrote:

[...]

Coming from someone that doesn't even own a DSLR makes this a pretty
damn comical statement. So a person that can only afford a 350D with a
kit lens shouldn't bother buying the camera at all? You put way too
much importance on your opinions. Especially considering they are
illogical, irrelevant and rarely listened to with any seriousness.
Old January 1st 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in message
Coming from someone that doesn't even own a DSLR makes this a pretty damn
comical statement. So a person that can only afford a 350D with a kit
lens shouldn't bother buying the camera at all? You put way too much
importance on your opinions. Especially considering they are illogical,
irrelevant and rarely listened to with any seriousness.

Mr. J, I just have to ask.
What does PE stand for?
T.W.

Old January 1st 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Taswolf wrote:
"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in message
Coming from someone that doesn't even own a DSLR makes this a pretty damn
comical statement. So a person that can only afford a 350D with a kit
lens shouldn't bother buying the camera at all? You put way too much
importance on your opinions. Especially considering they are illogical,
irrelevant and rarely listened to with any seriousness.

Mr. J, I just have to ask.
What does PE stand for?
T.W.

Usually, Professional Engineer
Old January 1st 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Taswolf wrote:
"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in message

Coming from someone that doesn't even own a DSLR makes this a pretty damn
comical statement. So a person that can only afford a 350D with a kit
lens shouldn't bother buying the camera at all? You put way too much
importance on your opinions. Especially considering they are illogical,
irrelevant and rarely listened to with any seriousness.

Mr. J, I just have to ask.
What does PE stand for?

Slack is right. It stands for "Professional Engineer". The reason I
include it in my user name is a long story that I won't bore you with.