local vs. internet store

Old November 26th 04, 11:57 PM

Default local vs. internet store

I'm almost ready to spend several thousand dollars on camera gear.
Given the fact that many local photography stores can't come within
15-20 percent of the prices available at reputable online stores, what
do I get for the extra bucks if I stick with the local dealer? Can, or
will, the local store resolve problems any differently than the
reputable online store? Doesn't almost everything have to go back to
the manufacturer these days? I'm sure many local stores have folks
come in to look at cameras and then never see them again because they
bought online. I feel uneasy when I do the same but I can't see paying
$300-500 bucks more just to be able to talk to the same person twice.
Am I missing something?
Old November 27th 04, 01:17 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
I'm almost ready to spend several thousand dollars on camera gear.
Given the fact that many local photography stores can't come within
15-20 percent of the prices available at reputable online stores, what
do I get for the extra bucks if I stick with the local dealer? Can, or
will, the local store resolve problems any differently than the
reputable online store? Doesn't almost everything have to go back to
the manufacturer these days? I'm sure many local stores have folks
come in to look at cameras and then never see them again because they
bought online. I feel uneasy when I do the same but I can't see paying
$300-500 bucks more just to be able to talk to the same person twice.
Am I missing something?

I think an acceptable move for you would be to pose this very question--as
you've worded it here--to your local shop. This will do two things: First,
it will allow them the chance to clearly spell out what they offer you (if
anything), and second, it will give THEM the realistic picture they likely
need to recognize regarding why they should consider making price
concessions.

Finally, it will let them see you as a conscientious customer who has
understandably limited tolerance of pricing gaps.

If, after doing this, you decide not to purchase locally, they will know
why, and should have no ill feelings toward you--rather just a wake-up call
to reality. Or...they may come down enough for you to opt for a local
purchase...even if it's not exactly the same.

Old November 27th 04, 02:53 AM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:17:46 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

I think an acceptable move for you would be to pose this very question--as

you've worded it here--to your local shop. This will do two things: First,
it will allow them the chance to clearly spell out what they offer you (if
anything), and second, it will give THEM the realistic picture they likely
need to recognize regarding why they should consider making price
concessions.

Finally, it will let them see you as a conscientious customer who has
understandably limited tolerance of pricing gaps.

If, after doing this, you decide not to purchase locally, they will know
why, and should have no ill feelings toward you--rather just a wake-up call
to reality. Or...they may come down enough for you to opt for a local
purchase...even if it's not exactly the same.

That's good advice. I'll simply ask them directly.

There's one small, family-owned store here that I really like. They
always seem delighted to see people come into the store. But they only
carry Leica and Nikon and I've decided to go Canon.

Old November 27th 04, 03:42 AM
MarkČ

number wrote:

[...]

There are some cases where it really is worth buying locally.
I just bought the huge Epson 4000 printer...locally, and in person.
The relatively-unknown shop spent time with me and were unbelievably helpful
regarding complex issues of media and color-matching. They even invited me
to make an appointment (free) with their resident guru to spend "perhaps an
hour or maybe two" so that he can help me along. This is the kind of
business I would very much like to support. They have been simply wonderful
to deal with.

Sadly, a great many local shops are run by cheap clerks who either don't
know much, or don't care. I have no problem side-stepping these
establishments for on-line merchants. But for those like the place I bought
my printer from, there is a price I wouldn't mind paying. The funny thing
is...they charged the exact same price as on-line merchants!! For anyone
considering professional level printing needs (especially Epson printers,
epson inks, media), I HIGHLY recommend www.digitalartsupplies.com . They
are in San Diego, and are absolutely wonderful to deal with...from the front
desk to the guys in their small warehouse. Friendly, helpful, and OFFER to
help without even being asked. Very refreshing.

-Mark

Old November 27th 04, 06:59 AM
Tony

If they really are local there might be some slight advantage. If they are
Ritz or some other chain - forgeddaboudit, buy from Adorama - better prices,
better service, and they won't try to sell you crap house brands.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old November 27th 04, 09:21 AM
Siddhartha Jain

I'm almost ready to spend several thousand dollars on camera gear.
Given the fact that many local photography stores can't come within
15-20 percent of the prices available at reputable online stores,

what
do I get for the extra bucks if I stick with the local dealer? Can,

or
will, the local store resolve problems any differently than the
reputable online store? Doesn't almost everything have to go back to
the manufacturer these days? I'm sure many local stores have folks
come in to look at cameras and then never see them again because they
bought online. I feel uneasy when I do the same but I can't see

paying
$300-500 bucks more just to be able to talk to the same person twice.
Am I missing something?

There are three kinds of online stores:
* Cheap, helpful and very reliable - B&H, Adorama, KEH. They sell you
what they show you and don't try to shove accessories on you. Prices
are low and service is very reliable.

* Cheaper and reliable service but not helpful - Beachcamera. My cousin
went to the store and they refused to open the box and show the
contents because the shop was crowded with people. The sales guy said
you can pay and take the box. The 300D was $80 cheaper than B&H with
free shipping. Seeing Beachcamera's reputation, we bought the camera
and the box had everything with proper US warranty.

* Cheapest and very UNreliable service - USAPhotonation and lots of
others. Claim to sell the 300D at $450!! As for the service, place the
order to experience it

But local store is physically there. You can compare cameras and in
case of digital cameras, you can take photos and seen the difference.
And for this service, you might be inclined to give business to the
local guy if the difference in price isn't too big.

- Siddhartha