Building a 20D kit

Old September 26th 04, 08:43 PM
Ray Creveling

Default Building a 20D kit

I am planning to purchase a 20 for the Holidays. This has been a long debate
but I am finally to the point where the financial and speed benefits of
Digital will make the change worth while.

My shooting has changed a lot recently since moving I am shooting a lot more
landscape and Macro. I also still do some portraiture. Currently I have the
following kit

Elan 7E
50mm f1.5
Tokina ATX 28-70 2.8
75-300 f4-5.6 Non-USM
22-55 f4-56 USM
420EX Flash

I am considering using the 50mm Lens as a portrait lens rather than
investing in the 85mm 1.8 and then adding a Tamron 90mm Macro. It seems the
only weak point I will have is on the wide end. What are people doing for
wide angle with the 20D. Also what body is the 20D based off of? If it's the
Elan I think I will add the grip since it always seemed a little small
without it.

--
Ray Creveling
http://www.blackcatblog.com

---

Old September 26th 04, 09:31 PM
GT40

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:43:37 -0400, "Ray Creveling"
wrote:

[...]

Its based closest to the 7N, you can get the 14mm for it, expensive
but wide angle

Old September 26th 04, 10:13 PM
Bluenose

Ray,

Get the grip, it helps with balance. You are right about the 50 mm being
great for portraits, with the APS-C sensor size, you are effectively using
an 80 mm.

I have both the 10D and Drebel and find the grip makes a big difference in
comfort and balance for both models, likely the 20D will be same.

For wide angle, remember that the mulitple is 1.6X, so a 17mm is almost 28mm
effective.

So you probably want at least 17, maybe wider depending on your budget
constraints. I am using the Tamron 19-35 zoom for that purpose.

If you are willing to give up all auto functions and play with distortion
corrections, I use my Zenitar 16mm fisheye all the time and actually like
the optical quality.

Bruce Watson

Old September 26th 04, 10:46 PM
Joseph Meehan

Ray Creveling wrote:
[...]

I am planning to go with the kit lens (18-55) and then add the new super
wide when it is available. That should work well with the lenses I already
have.

I have been waiting for something with less delay and wide angle
possibilities and the 20D seems to be the first one that fits for me and
still keep the price in the range I will consider.

I am waiting for notification.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 26th 04, 11:43 PM
Martin Francis

[...]

the forthcoming zoom (10-22mm, iirc) might be worth waiting for if you have
the money. The 18-55 kit lens is popular too.

Also what body is the 20D based off of? If it's the
Elan I think I will add the grip since it always seemed a little small
without it.

It's based on the 10D, but modified. Doesn't really correlate to any film
body shape, but it is a fairly hefty beastie. Camera size is always a "try
before you buy" spec anyway.

no, and yes...."

Old September 27th 04, 04:53 AM
Skip M

You might want to be a little cautious of that Tokina ATX 28-70 f2.8.
Here's an image shot with my 20D and the Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 ATX PRO:

http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...es&p icture=9

The same bit of fabric shot with the Canon 28-135IS:

http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...es&p icture=8

As you can see, there's a bit more softness with the Tokina than with the
Canon, and, unless yours is actually a "PRO," not just an "ATX," mine should
be sharper than yours...
For the wide end, I am currently using a 17-35 Sigma, but I'll probably pick
up a Canon 10-24 sometime in the near future, and possibly a Canon 16-15L or
17-40L

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com