Anybody have direct experience on the Canon EOS Rebel Xsi?

Old May 19th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Default Anybody have direct experience on the Canon EOS Rebel Xsi?

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[]
One high-speed SD 2 gig today (NOT an SDHD) card cost me only
$40, so that seems OK.

Sounds expensive to me, Jerry. SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD is GBP 8.49 (US
$17) he

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=100515

Good luck with your new purchase - enjoy it!

Cheers,
David

Old May 19th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Charles wrote:
In article , HEMI-Powered
wrote:

I looked at a 40D today but still bought the Xsi. For me, the much
larger size/heavier weight is a show stopper plus it has no built-in
flash.

The 40D sure does have a built in flash.

Yes, indeed - see:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page2.asp

David

Old May 19th 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

HEMI-Powered wrote:

Just thought of something you might know about, Blinky,since you're bi-
lingual (or, bi-something, grin). I haven't cracked the CD yet for
either camera I bought today because that WOULD kill my refund at Ritz,
but do you or anyone know if I can put a named JPG back on the SD card
and "see" it in the camera? Usually, that doesn't work because the
camera won't recognize anything it didn't write itself so people have
recommended freeware to get around it. I CAN use either of my 2

Probably depends on a lot of factors. I just took a jpg from my Nikon,
moved it to a Fuji and it plays back there fine (although in multi-image
(thumb) view, that thumb just shows a big question mark. The Nikon won't
show a jpg from the Fuji, though.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old May 19th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

HEMI-Powered wrote:

mind, but ... One easy example distantly related to digital photography
is the 100% failure I had when trying to simply find out what Windows
screen resolutions a Samsung 244T 24" wide-screen LCD monitor supported.
The best I did was a Best Buy sales droid who's sales DB said that
besides the native 1960 x something, it did support 1280 x 1024, but I

Probably the same 1920x1200 my 245BW supports.

Old May 19th 08, 08:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Blinky the Shark wrote:
HEMI-Powered wrote:

Just thought of something you might know about, Blinky,since you're
bi- lingual (or, bi-something, grin). I haven't cracked the CD yet
for either camera I bought today because that WOULD kill my refund
at Ritz, but do you or anyone know if I can put a named JPG back on
the SD card and "see" it in the camera? Usually, that doesn't work
because the camera won't recognize anything it didn't write itself
so people have recommended freeware to get around it. I CAN use
either of my 2

Probably depends on a lot of factors. I just took a jpg from my
Nikon, moved it to a Fuji and it plays back there fine (although in
multi-image (thumb) view, that thumb just shows a big question mark.
The Nikon won't show a jpg from the Fuji, though.

I wrote a small program to make JPEGs readable in various cameras - they
can make for a convenient display device, especially when coupled to a TV.
It's he

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/imaging.html#TVwriter

Cheers,
David

Old May 19th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message
Paul J Gans wrote:

The battery change is, I've been told, due to the fact that
the camera can require more power and the new battery is able
to supply that. The CF vs SD debate is about over. The CF
cards are big and so with an SD card more other stuff can be
put into the camera without increasing its size.

Sony S300/350 - 410 shots with live view per battery charge
Canon 450D- 190 shots with live view per battery charge

The battery is half the size, it's not exactly surprising!

Canon held out with CF cards for a long time. Most others
have already gone to SD.

Not if you want to mix pro and amateur cameras - the speed limitations of
SD are such that the frame rates and large file sizes of many cameras just
don't work with SD, they have to stick with CF for the serious stuff, and
so will Canon.

Olympus only uses CF (with extra provision for xD in some bodies as a
second card), Sony only uses CF (with an MM Pro Duo second slot in the
A700 only), Canon use CF for all earlier and higher level bodies, Nikon
uses CF for everything above D60 level. Penta/Samsung (essentially one
camera) is the only company so far to restrict users to SD on a relatively
high-end body (K20D/GX20). CF seems assured of a long run and I would
hesitate to buy any camera which only use SD, fiddly little things as well
as slow, impossible to label or write on easily and FAR too easy to lose.

David

Get over yourself man, and you are wrong about Nikon, the D80 uses SD and
the 1D and 1DsII have both SD and CF.

Old May 19th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , David Kilpatrick
wrote:

Not if you want to mix pro and amateur cameras - the speed limitations
of SD are such that the frame rates and large file sizes of many cameras
just don't work with SD, they have to stick with CF for the serious
stuff, and so will Canon.

what speed limitation is that?

in the 10 fps canon 1d mark iii (which supports both cf and sd), the
fastest performance was with an sd card.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9038

in the earlier 1d mark ii, which also supports both card types, sd was
also the fastest:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8200

and the new rebel 450d (which uses sd) benchmarks faster than the
higher end camera, the 40d (which uses cf):
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9424
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9257

the nikon d80 (sd) and its bigger brother, the d200 (cf) have roughly
the same speeds:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8531
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9406

Canon use CF for all earlier and higher level bodies,

the top of the line 1d and 1ds use both card types.

Nikon
uses CF for everything above D60 level.

the d80 uses sd and presumably its replacement will also.

CF seems assured of a long run and
I would hesitate to buy any camera which only use SD, fiddly little
things as well as slow, impossible to label or write on easily and FAR
too easy to lose.

the industry is moving towards sd. they're smaller, less expensive to
put into a camera, more rugged and immune to bent pins.

Whoops, CF cards have no pins, cameras have pins!!

Old May 19th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

David J Taylor wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:
[]
In the UK, YES YES YES - it is at the most only $200 - £100 more and
in many places, the body price is identical after current Cann
rebates. Until June 30. Any British buyer choosing the 450D is crazy,
I've said so in print, and so have several other magazine reviewers.
The 450D may start to drop in price and the 40D will go up but right
now, the 40D (a FAR better camera) is hardly anything more to buy in
Britain.
David

Of course, they may /wish/ the lighter weight, and more compact camera,
which isn't at all crazy.

Well, I've also said that in reviews - unless you want it for travel.

But the 40D is not exactly big or heavy by Canon standards.

David
Old May 19th 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

HEMI-Powered wrote:

I've never personally had a pin bent or jammed but I've heard of people
that have. However, with the SD's having their contacts in the open
where they could short out from coins or keys in my pocket, I intend to
carry them around in their little plastic cases.

Our first Canon - 300D - was sold to a new owner and within one day they
had shoved the CF card in the wrong way round and bent the pins (or a
pin or two, not sure how much damage was done). Cost them £120 (half the
s/h price of the camera) to get the drive replaced.

David
Old May 19th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered

Richard J Kinch added these comments in the current discussion du jour

HEMI-Powered writes:

The 40D sure does have a built in flash.

Not the one I looked at, and I specifically asked the sales droid.

You must have been confused. The 5D and 1D/1Ds have no flash.
Rebels and 10D/20D/30D/40D have built-in flash.

So what? Why is it so important for you to make fun of me? One more time
since you apparently didn't read what I posted: I didn't look at the
model name, I took the sales droid's word for it, and whatever I was
holding had NO built-in flash. Learn to live with the disappointment that
what people see first hand with their very eyes trumps whatever you or
others may think they know based on specs. But, it was such a minor point
that I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I wish they didn't because they can't be used to retrofit many
instruments that used film camera backs, because of that useless
"Canon" billboard nose sticking out and interfering with a flush
mount.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"