Nikon 70-210 AF f/4 operation on dSLR's

Old January 25th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

Default Nikon 70-210 AF f/4 operation on dSLR's

For those familiar with the Nikon 70-210 AF f/4, being that it's an
older lens, can aperture be controlled through the camera body (for
things like aperture-priority or shutter-priority)? Or, would I have
to control it manually, setting it on the lens directly? A D70s is
what I'm using if you're curious.

Thanks.
Kevin
Old January 25th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

k-man wrote:

For those familiar with the Nikon 70-210 AF f/4, being that it's an
older lens, can aperture be controlled through the camera body (for
things like aperture-priority or shutter-priority)? Or, would I have
to control it manually, setting it on the lens directly? A D70s is
what I'm using if you're curious.

You can set the aperture ring to A, and lock it there, and control the
lens aperture from the camera.

Old January 25th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

k-man wrote:
For those familiar with the Nikon 70-210 AF f/4, being that it's an
older lens, can aperture be controlled through the camera body (for
things like aperture-priority or shutter-priority)? Or, would I have
to control it manually, setting it on the lens directly? A D70s is
what I'm using if you're curious.

Thanks.
Kevin

You set the lens to smallest aperture (ie f22), then set the aperture
using the camera body - no differently than using "G" lenses (without
aperture ring).
Old January 25th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

Hi Kevin

I've owned one of these lenses since they first came out and when I bought
the D70 & D80 I have used it almost every time I go out. Providing you lock
the aperture to max it can be controlled for shutter & aperture in fact in P
and Auto will work.

Bruce

Old January 25th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

On Jan 25, 3:22 pm, frederick wrote:
k-man wrote:
For those familiar with the Nikon 70-210 AF f/4, being that it's an
older lens, can aperture be controlled through the camera body (for
things like aperture-priority or shutter-priority)? Or, would I have
to control it manually, setting it on the lens directly? A D70s is
what I'm using if you're curious.

Thanks.
Kevin

You set the lens to smallest aperture (ie f22), then set the aperture
using the camera body - no differently than using "G" lenses (without
aperture ring).

The aperture ring on the lens works mechanically, though, right? If
you set it to f22, then wouldn't the mechanics force the diaphragm to
open no larger than f22 regardless of your camera body setting?

Kevin
Old January 25th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

k-man wrote:
For those familiar with the Nikon 70-210 AF f/4, being that it's an
older lens, can aperture be controlled through the camera body (for
things like aperture-priority or shutter-priority)? Or, would I have
to control it manually, setting it on the lens directly? A D70s is
what I'm using if you're curious.

Thanks.
Kevin

You set the lens to smallest aperture (ie f22), then set the aperture
using the camera body - no differently than using "G" lenses (without
aperture ring).

The aperture ring on the lens works mechanically, though, right? If
you set it to f22, then wouldn't the mechanics force the diaphragm to
open no larger than f22 regardless of your camera body setting?

No, the opposite is true. The aperture stays wide open so you can
view the scene through the viewfinder with maximum brightness and
minimum depth of field.

The idea of setting it on the minimum aperture is so that you can get
the whole range of apertures from f/22 to f/4. If you set it to f/4,
you will get f/4 only. No other aperture will work.

There is a lock which keeps the aperture ring at its minimum aperture.
For this particular lens, that minimum aperture is f/22. I apologise
for mentioning an "A" setting in a previous reply. I used to use both
Nikon and Pentax gear and the A refers to Pentax lenses, not Nikon.

Your 70-210mm f/4 lens is something of a cult classic. The optical
design is taken directly from the 70-200mm f/4 Nikon Series E lens of
the late 1970s / early 1980s. The Series E lenses were made to
compete with independent lenses at a lower price point than Nikon AI
and AIS lenses. However, they lacked nothing in terms of their
optical design, and several of the Series E range have become cult
classics as a result.

Nikon's first mass production AF camera was aimed at amateur rather
than professional photographers and the Series E lens design was used
for the AF Nikkor 70-210mm f/4. That lens was later replaced by the
AF Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6, which was more cheaply constructed and
lacked the constant maximum aperture of the lens that you own. The
f/4-5.6 version received one rave review and a lot of mediocre
reviews, but unfortunately the one rave review meant that it acquired
a good reputation for optical quality that it didn't deserve.

Subsequently Nikon have made several 70-300mm zoom lenses but none
could match the optical quality of the 70-210mm f/4.

So enjoy using your 70-210mm f/4. It is a fine lens, and it should
work very well on your D70s.

Old January 25th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

k-man wrote:
[...]

Gotcha. Thanks very much. Though, I don't own the 70-210 f/4 just
yet. I was just doing some homework before I went for it. Looks good
to me.

And yes, I was wondering about your initial "A" setting comment.
Thanks for clearing it up! Oh, also, I think the lens stops down to f/
32. But I get the concept.

Thanks again.
Kevin
Old January 25th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

Bruce"k-man" wrote in message

For those familiar with the Nikon 70-210 AF f/4, being that it's an
older lens, can aperture be controlled through the camera body (for
things like aperture-priority or shutter-priority)? Or, would I have
to control it manually, setting it on the lens directly? A D70s is
what I'm using if you're curious.

Thanks.
Kevin

Sweet. Thanks very much.

Kevin
Old January 25th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

k-man wrote:
[...]

It's quite a good lens, but also quite slow to focus.
The 70-210 f4-5.6 AF-D is the pick of these lenses. Was very expensive
thanks mainly to a probably unrealistic rave review by Ken Rockwell, but
since the new AFs 70-300 VR consumer grade lens has arrived, there is
less demand, and prices are lower to the point that they might be
reasonable value. (Optically, all the 70-210 lenses are similar - but
the AFD version focuses very fast for a non AFs lens - twice as fast as
a non -D version)
I had several versions of these lenses. Fully open they performed
remarkably well at 200mm - sharp, but less contrast than the 200mm f2.8
zooms.
Old January 25th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

k-man wrote:
[...]

I fully agree "fredrick". If it is possible for the owner of the D70
to afford the new 70-300mm VR Nikkor over the earlier 70-210 he will
really appreciate it.