lens brace name??

Old March 7th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Marcus

Default lens brace name??

I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that screwed
into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the shoulder. I'm
trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the correct name. Help,
please. Thanks.

Mark

Old March 7th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:04:43 +0000, Marcus wrote:

I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that
screwed into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the
shoulder. I'm trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the
correct name. Help, please. Thanks.

Used to be called a rifle-grip; also shoulder-brace

--
gautam
Old March 7th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Marcus

"Gautam Majumdar" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:04:43 +0000, Marcus wrote:

I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that
screwed into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the
shoulder. I'm trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the
correct name. Help, please. Thanks.

Used to be called a rifle-grip; also shoulder-brace

--
gautam

Thanks, but I still can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe they aren't made
anymore?? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Old March 7th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave

Marcus wrote:
I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that screwed
into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the shoulder. I'm
trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the correct name. Help,
please. Thanks.

Mark

Was it something like this??
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

tiny
http://tinyurl.com/24sako

Dave

--
"...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the
Old March 7th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Marcus

"Dave" wrote in message
Marcus wrote:
I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that screwed
into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the shoulder. I'm
trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the correct name.
Help, please. Thanks.

Mark

Was it something like this??
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

tiny
http://tinyurl.com/24sako

Dave

Thanks, Dave, but I saw that and it's not what I want. It was like a rifle
stock with a male tripod mount on the top to attach the lens and a female
tripod mount on the bottom to attach to a monopod if desired. It also
originally came with a shutter release cable (for a film camera) mounted to
a trigger, which the guy had disconnected. He had bought it a long time ago,
but I didn't think to ask him exactly what it was - it looked so handy that
I assumed I could easily find one.

Mark

Old March 7th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Philip Bailey

Marcus wrote:

I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that screwed
into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the shoulder. I'm
trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the correct name. Help,
please. Thanks.

Something like this?

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/fs12/

http://www.digisniper.com/2007/02/13...fs-122-camera/

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...&fcl=3&frpp=50
Old March 7th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Marcus :
"Gautam Majumdar" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:04:43 +0000, Marcus wrote:

I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that
screwed into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the
shoulder. I'm trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the
correct name. Help, please. Thanks.

Used to be called a rifle-grip; also shoulder-brace

[ ... ]

Thanks, but I still can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe they aren't made
anymore?? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe the appearance tends to attract too much Homeland Security
attention these days. I would be very nervous about using a support for
my camera which made it look (even somewhat -- from a distance) like a
weapon.

Of course -- this can depend on where you are "shooting".

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old March 8th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jim

On 2007-03-07 12:04:43 -0500, "Marcus" said:

I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that screwed
into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the shoulder. I'm
trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the correct name. Help,
please. Thanks.

Mark

These were a lot more popular back when long focal length lenses were
LONG. That is not telephoto which properly describes a long lens with
multiple elements that is physical shorter than the focal length. In
the not to distant past, long focus and telephoto lenses were slow, ie
4.5 or smaller. Film speeds were also slower, so there was no such
thing as "hand holding" some of the beomouths. You either used a
rifile mount or a tripod. With faster lenses, shorter smaller and
lighter lense and now IS, VR and other shake reduction mechanism the
need for rifle mounts has alll but disapperaed. Back in the 70's you
got a lot of attention using one of these. In this day and age, I
suspect you will get even more and much of it unwanted

A company called NovaFlex used to make one, but it may have been
specific for their lenses. I don't know.

Good luck.
--
Jim

Old March 8th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article nk.net,
Marcus wrote:

I saw someone using a lens brace that was like a rifle stock that screwed
into the lens tripod mount and could be braced against the shoulder. I'm
trying to find it on the B&H site, but I don't know the correct name. Help,
please. Thanks.

Mark

Bushmaster.

independence.