Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements / Apple or PC?

Old July 24th 05, 04:03 PM
Little Green Eyed Dragon

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Little Green Eyed Dragon wrote:

You sound like a MS employee (read drone), MS sells information
suppression software to communist China and The US government
is allowing it (food for the thinking consumer). Bottom line I
wouldn't knowingly buy jack from ole "Bill". But I have nothing
personal to gain and nothing personally against MS.

Nope, I'm just a happy Microsoft user that doesn't have all the *perceived*
problems most of the whiners complain about.

I attribute whiners to the non manual reading users ;-)

I know quite a few Apple users & have yet to hear any complaints from
any Apple users, however this is not the case from PC users-that use
MS products. So that there is no confusion Apple makes computers and
software MS only makes software which is included on most PC
Computers.

You just found the answer that has eluded most people for years, "MS only
makes software". Most people (clueless) find it convenient to not factor
this into the equation when they have a problem and put all the blame on the
software. The bulk of these issues are commonly traced back to poor of
improperly configured hardware.

I'm using XP Pro SP2 and Photoshop without any problems or complaints, but
then again, it's on an antiquated Supermicro dual P4 2.4 Ghz Xeon (Socket
603), SCSI RAID system. It hasn't hiccupped in years.
Rita

I realistically believe any system can work provided the user invests
the time to understand it. Problem is our society is advanced just
enough to allow the common folk enough rope to hang ourselves
and only know the difference once the problem is very large ;-)
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old July 24th 05, 04:39 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Little Green Eyed Dragon wrote:

I read it as a short coming of Motorola versus Apple. If
Apple chooses to use a better part to make their product
so much the better....doubtful it will equate to a compromise
on Apple equipment or quality,... as some people believe.

The other issue that has Apple shaking in their boots is the use of their OS
on non-Apple hardware. They are addressing this problem by locking the OS
to only work on the Intel/Apple chip. I wonder how many people would bypass
buying Apple hardware if they didn't take these steps? I can see Apple's
hardware sales taking a sharp decline.

As you have stated Apple does make top notch hardware
and software and one pays the price for it, just like buying a
Lexus (which I can't afford But its the same idea, a less expensive
machine will still get you to the store :-)

Yes they do, and this was why they almost went belly up many moons ago.
People hate being locked into proprietary hardware and being forced to pay
exorbitant fees for it. This is why the PC market exploded and left Apple
in the dust. The nice thing about PC is I can select what grade of hardware
I want to use and load numerous varieties of OS on it. If I want a
top-notch system I can select the components to build one without worry of
incompatibility or proprietary restrictions. This is what soured most
people to Apple in the early days.

Rita

Old July 24th 05, 04:41 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Little Green Eyed Dragon wrote:

I attribute whiners to the non manual reading users ;-)

LOL! I can't agree with you more! I think the other issue that comes into
play is there are people that are strictly anti-MS and won't open their mind
to what it has to offer or take the time to understand how to use its
features.

This same issue seems to rear its ugly head when we have these childish
Canon vs. Nikon debates.

I realistically believe any system can work provided the user invests
the time to understand it. Problem is our society is advanced just
enough to allow the common folk enough rope to hang ourselves
and only know the difference once the problem is very large ;-)

That's a good point. I'm a young pup and I've been playing with these damn
things since the Intel 286 days and I probably still haven't learned all the
features and functions offered by any of these operating systems.

In all honesty, I would really like to see Apple port their OS to work with
any Intel based chip whether it be a 32-bit or a 64-bit chip as I would like
to test their OS on my hardware for a fair comparison. And if Apple proves
itself worthy to the consumer as being a product worth using over Windows it
will destroy MS.

Rita

Old July 24th 05, 04:51 PM
Randall Ainsworth

Dick Muldoon wrote:

I just converted back to Mac (Tiger) from XP -- it wasn't cheap, but it
was the right move for me. Photoshop operates the same on both
platforms so that's a non-issue. In terms of stability, usability, and
quality of display and color management, however, Mac wins hands down.
For me. It's not cheap, but lots of people find it a better enabler and
a better long-term value for graphics/video/audio work. I certainly do.

Welcome back from the dark side. :-)

Re dying platform, the Mac I bought this year will last me five years
easily. By then Apple will have not only ported OS/X to the Intel
platform -- it's a UNIX core; I'm sure they've done it already -- but
*also* figured out how to run XP or Longhorn or whatever Redmond has
available natively on the Intel chip. Packaged in a box with
Apple-quality physical/system design. I think the upgrade path for
OS/X+apps is pretty exciting and the processor switch a fascinating
opportunity for Apple to get back in the game big time.

They changed the name the other day...it's not Longhorn any more - the
next version of Windows will be called Microsoft Vista.
Old July 24th 05, 04:54 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Rita Ä Berkowitz
@aol.com wrote:

Microsoft is so far ahead of Mac in terms of stability and graphics/video
work that they don't even look in the rear view mirror to see if they are
gaining. The simple gesture of Mac porting to an Intel chip is a clear
indication of them swallowing massive quantities of crow while drowning.

I can lock up XP on a regular basis, but haven't had OS X die on me
since the initial release back in 2001. You might want to have that
Clue Deficit Disorder looked into.
Old July 24th 05, 04:56 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Rita Ä Berkowitz
@aol.com wrote:

You just found the answer that has eluded most people for years, "MS only
makes software". Most people (clueless) find it convenient to not factor
this into the equation when they have a problem and put all the blame on the
software. The bulk of these issues are commonly traced back to poor of
improperly configured hardware.

Is that why there are so many security problems with Windows?
Old July 24th 05, 04:57 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Rita Ä Berkowitz
@aol.com wrote:

That's a good point. I'm a young pup and I've been playing with these damn
things since the Intel 286 days and I probably still haven't learned all the
features and functions offered by any of these operating systems.

Child...
Old July 24th 05, 04:58 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Rita Ä Berkowitz
@aol.com wrote:

I'm strictly a user of MS and Redhat Linux (Fedora Core). While I find
Apple products to be top-notch they have nothing to offer me beyond what MS
does.

Ah...that explains it...a penguin.