New Here

Old February 12th 10, 07:53 PM
smagno1 smagno1 is offline
Junior Member

Default New Here

Hello All,

I am new here to photobanter and just wanted to get some suggestions from anyone willing to post back...

I just purchased a Canon Ae-1 with the following equipment:
Canon FD 28mm 1:2.8 Lens
Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 Lens
Soligor 80-200mm 1:3.5 Lens
Vivitar Auto 2800-D Flash
Promaster FTD 5600 Flash w/ diffuser

I know absolutely nothing about 35mm photography and this is my first 35mm camera. Just wondering about your thoughts on this equipment? Also any recommended film,tips, developing techniques (should I bring it somewhere or develop my own)?

Just trying to learn as much as possible before it comes in next week.
want to hit the ground running when I do get it.

Thanks
Spencer
Old February 12th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 2/12/2010 11:53 AM smagno1 spake thus:

Hello All,

I am new here to photobanter and just wanted to get some suggestions
from anyone willing to post back...

I just purchased a Canon Ae-1 with the following equipment:
Canon FD 28mm 1:2.8 Lens
Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 Lens
Soligor 80-200mm 1:3.5 Lens
Vivitar Auto 2800-D Flash
Promaster FTD 5600 Flash w/ diffuser

I know absolutely nothing about 35mm photography and this is my first
35mm camera. Just wondering about your thoughts on this equipment? Also
any recommended film,tips, developing techniques (should I bring it
somewhere or develop my own)?

Just trying to learn as much as possible before it comes in next week.
want to hit the ground running when I do get it.

Welcome to traditional film photography, which contrary to many digital
pushers here is *far from dead*.

Just a few comments for now:

Your equipment is fine. As you're new to photography, your equipment
will far exceed your ability to get great results from it. (But of
course you can always get lucky, or perhaps you have talent you're not
yet aware of, or both, leading to good pictures.)

How you deal with film depends on a lot of things. One choice is
shooting color or black & white. For color, I recommend color prints,
rather than slides. Try to get good film (*not* Kodak Gold, please!) and
find a good film processor. (This is more difficult nowadays than in
times past, but there are still some good ones out there. Perhaps if you
tell us where you are, folks can make recommendations to you.)

Black & white film is easily developed at home, and information on how
to do it is out there. Making prints requires a higher level of
equipment and requires a darkroom (a closet can make do for this), but
is also easily done at home. And the good thing is that with so many
people abandoning film (and drinking the digital Kool-Aid), enlargers,
lenses and such darkroom equipment can be had for cheap.

Have fun!

- a Usenet "apology"
Old February 13th 10, 06:19 AM
smagno1 smagno1 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nebenzahl View Post
[...]

Thanks David. I am in the Louisiana, Baton Rouge area. Any body know of any good processors around here?

Thanks
Old February 13th 10, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

smagno1 wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about 35mm photography and this is my first
35mm camera. Just wondering about your thoughts on this equipment? Also
any recommended film,tips, developing techniques (should I bring it
somewhere or develop my own)?

Your equipment is fine to start with (and maybe even much more!).

Developing B&W film at home is quite simple. You'll need a room which is
- or can be made - completely dark (at least at night), or a changing bag.

B&W film can also be purchased in "bulk", then loaded into cassettes
with a special loader (or in a dark room, if you like to suffer),
resulting in a substantial saving.

As has been mentioned, the equipment for setting up a darkroom for
printing is practically being given away, but creating a darkroom does
need space and effort (including a completely dark room).

One route which may be useful is getting a good film scanner. That way
you only need to develop (or have developed) your negatives and your
final output can take very many forms.

Fnally, don't listen to the thugs and mobbers on this NG who like
shouting "Luddite" and "Film is dead!", only to produce some pedestrian,
poorly composed snapshots with their digitoys...
Old February 13th 10, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Rol_Lei Nut wrote:
smagno1 wrote:

[...]

Be equally aware of those who advocate starting off by doing it all
yourself. If you really know nothing of photography, you'll want to
limit the variables, so start with color film processed by a lab, unless
you have a prccessor for B+W
film handy.

Have fun. Take notes as to shutter speed and aperature as you shoot.

--

john mcwilliams
Old February 13th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

John McWilliams wrote:

Be equally aware of those who advocate starting off by doing it all
yourself. If you really know nothing of photography, you'll want to
limit the variables, so start with color film processed by a lab, unless
you have a prccessor for B+W
film handy.

Have fun. Take notes as to shutter speed and aperature as you shoot.

I'll agree that the very first rolls should be taken to a lab, also to
verify that the camera is working and is being used properly.

But once the OP knows what kind of results to expect, there is no reason
why he shouldn't develop his own: That's how people learned photography
for many, many decades (with printing included), I don't think people
have really gotten dumber lately*, so it certainly isn't an impossible
task to face.

*Though some people evidently seem to lack the motor/intellectual skills
needed to turn a focusing or diaphragm ring or to use their thumbs on an
advance lever...
Old February 13th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Rol_Lei Nut wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:

Be equally aware of those who advocate starting off by doing it all
yourself. If you really know nothing of photography, you'll want to
limit the variables, so start with color film processed by a lab,
unless you have a prccessor for B+W
film handy.

Have fun. Take notes as to shutter speed and aperature as you shoot.

I'll agree that the very first rolls should be taken to a lab, also to
verify that the camera is working and is being used properly.

But once the OP knows what kind of results to expect, there is no reason
why he shouldn't develop his own: That's how people learned photography
for many, many decades (with printing included), I don't think people
have really gotten dumber lately*, so it certainly isn't an impossible
task to face.

No disagreement. I very much enjoyed the dark room I set up in a NYC
railroad apt. eons ago. But it isn't truly necessary, and the point is-
that you got- is to not get too burdened with new stuff with lots of
variables.

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 13th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 2/13/2010 9:21 AM John McWilliams spake thus:

Rol_Lei Nut wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:

[...]

It all depends. In my own case, my first real experience with
photography was developing my own black and white film and making prints
when I was just a kid. (Up to then, I had only used my trusty little
Kodak Instamatic and had the color prints developed at the drugstore.)

I quickly learned basic film and print processing, which, after all,
ain't exactly rocket science. It sounds as if the OP has the desire, at
least, to try this.

But yes, if it were me, I'd first run some color print film through the
camera to verify its operation. The camera may need some work (or it may
need none).

And as the Rollei nut pointed out, you can have a "hybrid" process where
you develop your own blakc & white negatives (very easy, requires no
darkroom) and then scan them with a decent-quality film scanner. Then
you can work with them in the digital domain.

- a Usenet "apology"
Old February 13th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

-
[...]

David N. has (as usual) provided you with good info. My only disagreement
with Mr N. is regarding Kodak Gold. When you are learning, use cheap film-
if Kodak Gold is cheapest, use it for now. As you learn more, then go for
better film. (Although I've gotten some nice results with Kodak Gold- maybe
that's 40+ years of experience?)

As for film processors, at this point, I wouldn't worry too much. Go to your
local one-hour places, like WalMart and the drug store. If there is a local
processor not a part of a major chain, you will probably get better results
there than at WalMart or the like. The usual problem with the chain places
is that the guy running the processor this week was working the garden
center last week, and next week will be in sporting goods! A stand-alone
photofinisher will probalby have more experienced people.

If your kit did not include an instruction book, get one. The AE-1 is a very
versatile camera, but the owner's manual will provide the info you need to
make the most of it.
It's all about the light. Learn how your camera controls light, and how you
can use light, and you're on your way to good photographs.

Ken Hart

Old February 13th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Rol_Lei Nut wrote:
smagno1 wrote:

[...]

I would add one thing: on your AE-1, the strap mount is such that a
hanging camera will have its settings changed by friction of the strap
on the controller wheel. Every time you lift the camera from its
transport location, check to see the wheel hasn't been moved.
Otherwise, you may have a series of awfully over- or under-exposed
frames. My solution was to check the settings before the first of any
post-hanging-camera shots. I could see how an engineer might attach
something to the camera or strap to avoid the accidental
wheel-turning, but I just tried to remember to verify the wheel had
not been disturbed from my chosen settings.

Make that two things: be charitable toward people who give valuable,
useful advice and then end with a gratuitous insult/troll. They want
us to remember how wonderful they are. As if we needed to be reminded
how they are.

You're going to love the photographic process, wherever you enter or
ride the stream. Have fun.

--
Frank ess