Fake CF cards?

Old October 2nd 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Crocker

Default Fake CF cards?

With all the talk recently regarding fake SanDisk CF cards, I began to
wonder if my Lexar could be fake. Is there a way to tell?

It is a 2GB 133x

The serial number on the edge of the card looks like this:

39428GBAI2816CDC3
(some actual numbers changed for this message, but that's the general
format)

If someone has one like it, could you please compare the format of your
serial number?

Thanks,
Bill Crocker

Old October 3rd 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bmoag

Contact Lexar.
Sandisk counterfeits are all over China. I bought one last year when I was
there just to see what it would really be,. It was labelled a 1gb SD II card
but was a 512mb slower speed card.
I contacted Sandisk, not wanting anything from them but just curious about
their attitude about the problem. They seemed totally unconcerned and so I
believe deserve to face the onslaught of Chinese counterfeits that will
leave consumers angry at Sandisk.

Old October 3rd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

Bill Crocker wrote:
With all the talk recently regarding fake SanDisk CF cards, I began to
wonder if my Lexar could be fake. Is there a way to tell?

If you bought it new from a reputable dealer then there's no reason to
think it's fake (whether Lexar or SanDisk).

If you bought it for a fraction of list price from a not-so-reputable
dealer then there's a much greater likelihood that it's a fake.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Crocker

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
ps.com...
Bill Crocker wrote:
With all the talk recently regarding fake SanDisk CF cards, I began to
wonder if my Lexar could be fake. Is there a way to tell?

If you bought it new from a reputable dealer then there's no reason to
think it's fake (whether Lexar or SanDisk).

If you bought it for a fraction of list price from a not-so-reputable
dealer then there's a much greater likelihood that it's a fake.

It was purchased from my local Ritz Camera store. However, the reason I'm
concerned is that the packaging of the card itself (not the box it came in),
looks slightly different than pictures I see all over the internet.

For instance, there is a small solid triangle just to the left of Lexar's
name. All the pictures I see show this to be silver, on a gold background,
and the Lexar text is black. On mine the small solid triangle is black, not
silver. Also the outer edge of the metal plate under the Mylar label is
shaped slightly different.

Hopefully it's just a manufacturing/production change, but I'd like to be
sure.

Bill Crocker

Old October 3rd 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
QX

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:48:43 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
wrote:

It was purchased from my local Ritz Camera store. However, the reason I'm
concerned is that the packaging of the card itself (not the box it came in),
looks slightly different than pictures I see all over the internet.

For instance, there is a small solid triangle just to the left of Lexar's
name. All the pictures I see show this to be silver, on a gold background,
and the Lexar text is black. On mine the small solid triangle is black, not
silver. Also the outer edge of the metal plate under the Mylar label is
shaped slightly different.

Hopefully it's just a manufacturing/production change, but I'd like to be
sure.

Bill Crocker

Have you approached Ritz with regard to the question?
Old October 3rd 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Crocker

wrote:

It was purchased from my local Ritz Camera store. However, the reason I'm
concerned is that the packaging of the card itself (not the box it came
in),
looks slightly different than pictures I see all over the internet.

For instance, there is a small solid triangle just to the left of Lexar's
name. All the pictures I see show this to be silver, on a gold
background,
and the Lexar text is black. On mine the small solid triangle is black,
not
silver. Also the outer edge of the metal plate under the Mylar label is
shaped slightly different.

Hopefully it's just a manufacturing/production change, but I'd like to be
sure.

Bill Crocker

Have you approached Ritz with regard to the question?

Not yet. I wanted to confirm there was a problem before bringing it to
their attention.

Bill Crocker

Old October 3rd 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

-
Bill Crocker wrote:

It was purchased from my local Ritz Camera store.

You can log on to the Lexar site and try to register the card and see
what happens. I can't believe Ritz would be selling fake cards though.

However, the reason I'm
concerned is that the packaging of the card itself (not the box it came in),
looks slightly different than pictures I see all over the internet.

For instance, there is a small solid triangle just to the left of Lexar's
name. All the pictures I see show this to be silver, on a gold background,
and the Lexar text is black. On mine the small solid triangle is black, not
silver. Also the outer edge of the metal plate under the Mylar label is
shaped slightly different.

Hopefully it's just a manufacturing/production change, but I'd like to be
sure.

I have several older Lexar cards and they look different too so this is
probably as you say, just a production change in the markings.

Bill

Old October 3rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AustinMN

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
bmoag wrote:

Contact Lexar.
Sandisk counterfeits are all over China. I bought one last year when
I was there just to see what it would really be,. It was labelled a
1gb SD II card but was a 512mb slower speed card.
I contacted Sandisk, not wanting anything from them but just curious
about their attitude about the problem. They seemed totally
unconcerned and so I believe deserve to face the onslaught of Chinese
counterfeits that will leave consumers angry at Sandisk.

Of course Sandisk isn't concerned. Why should they be when the counterfeits
are outperforming the originals? The counterfeits are unintentionally
building a positive reputation for Sandisk.

I'd just love to know how a 512MB CF masquerading as a 1GB CF is
"building a positive reputation," even if it is twice as fast.

Austin

Old October 3rd 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Crocker

oups.com...

Bill Crocker wrote:

[...]

I emailed Lexar yesterday, and the person who replied claimed my serial
number's last four numbers/letters did not indicate it was a x133 card. I
called Lexar today, and they said otherwise. Apparently the person I
emailed was confused between x80, and x133 card serial numbers. Today, on
the phone, they confirmed my card is an authentic Lexar x133.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bill Crocker

Old October 3rd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:19:47 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:

Contact Lexar.
Sandisk counterfeits are all over China. I bought one last year when I was
there just to see what it would really be,. It was labelled a 1gb SD II card
but was a 512mb slower speed card.
I contacted Sandisk, not wanting anything from them but just curious about
their attitude about the problem. They seemed totally unconcerned and so I
believe deserve to face the onslaught of Chinese counterfeits that will
leave consumers angry at Sandisk.

I'm curious about what you mean when you say they were unconcerned.
Did they not reply to your contact?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"