LCD Monitors dynamic range

Old July 22nd 04, 05:08 PM
David J Taylor

Default LCD Monitors dynamic range

Rick wrote:
[]
If you have access to Photoshop or even a basic graphics editor,
here's an easy (and accurate) test:

[]
Rick

or download my GreyScale generator:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/s...html#GreyScale

It's free.

Cross-posting trimmed.

Cheers,
David

Old July 22nd 04, 11:08 PM
Rick

"David J Taylor" wrote in message
Rick wrote:
[]
If you have access to Photoshop or even a basic graphics editor,
here's an easy (and accurate) test:

[]
Rick

or download my GreyScale generator:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/s...html#GreyScale

It's free.

Thanks. Just for reference, on my software-calibrated (and
almost six year-old) Mitsubishi 2040U CRT, the visible range
goes from 2 to 255.

Rick

Old July 23rd 04, 09:43 AM
David J Taylor

kosh wrote:
thanks for the input everyone..... I was getting a bit tempted..
knowing the issues, but now I have well and truly decided against it.

perhaps LCD 's only for the other views out the sim window!

kosh

You really should try it for yourself. Many of the opnions expressed here
are based on earlier LCD monitors than are currently being supplied.

Cheers,
David

Old July 26th 04, 06:47 PM

Kibo informs me that (Stephen H.
Westin) stated that:

grant kinsley writes:
Not even close. LCDs are brighter, but the dynamic range is much less,
except in the case of the most expensive mono LCDs.

See http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs781/Sharma02LCDs.pdf.

If your measurements show otherwise, share them, by all means.

That paper doesn't say that LCDs are superior to CRTs:
"For the flareless idealized gamuts of Fig. 16, the CRT
gamut (wire frame) and the LCD gamut (solid) are fairly
close in most color regions, except in the blue and magenta
regions of color space, where the CRT gamut extends further
outwards covering a larger volume. The CRT gamut also
extends further outward than the LCD gamut in the dark
regions close to black."
It goes on to say that that: "In the presence of typical viewing
flare, however, the CRT not only loses its advantage over
the LCD, but also ends up with significantly smaller gamut
in the dark regions."
What he's saying (quite correctly, IMO), is that in *typical viewing
conditions*, ie; an office environment, the CRT will loses luminance &
gamut to flare, compared to LCD displays. Anyone who's seen a good LCD
display next to a good CRT in a brightly lit office has probably noticed
how badly flare affects dark areas on a CRT. However, we're talking
about professional photographic applications, where a sensible user will
have a light hood over the CRT, & will be working under subdued lighting
for *exactly this reason*, which will result in superior gamut & tonal
accuracy for the CRT, compared to an LCD under the same viewing
conditions.
If you read the paper entirely, you'll see that the reason that LCD
/appears/ superior, side by side with a CRT, by a casual viewer, is that
LCDs are both brighter than a CRT, & have far greater flare resistance
than a non-professional monitor in a brightly lit environment. In a
controlled working environment, OTOH, a CRT will give better colour &
tonal rendition.
It's also worth mentioning that his testing didn't consider the fact
that the phase control system of most LCD panels is of lower
'resolution' than the equivalent colour amp circuitry of a CRT, which
will also give even an average CRT better monotonicity than most LCD
panels. This is why you're less likely to see posterisation on CRTs than
on LCDs.