An SD card problem?

Old September 19th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Epoch

Default An SD card problem?

Sorry to be back with another problem, but a lot of work hangs in the
balance here.

A colleague has done a shoot with 2 x 2GB cards, used via a CF card adapter.

The cards have previously been filled up and then formatted with no problems

Prior to the shoot both cards were formatted in the camera.

He now finds that only the first nineteen .PEF files on each card can be
opened using RAW converters (he's tried 3 different ones - all report that
the remaining files are corrupt.

They can be viewed in-camera (presumably it's the jpg thumbnails that can be
seen?) and the .PEF files themselves are normal size (about 13.1mb), so all
the data is there (presumably)

The cards were removed from the CF adapter for viewing on a laptop and PC -
but, as stated, only the first 19 images on each card can be successfully
opened.

It's a 700 mile round trip to get the missing images again - any thoughts or
help?

Thanks

Old September 19th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Holley

"Epoch" wrote in message
[...]

Have they tried to download the images from the camera directly to the
computer? If so, you may want to try skipping number 20, in case that is
causing the others to show up as bad. What kind of camera, and which RAW
converters?

Good luck

Old September 19th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Epoch

"Holley" wrote in message

"Epoch" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks - he's still traveling back from the shoot. I will try downloading
via the USB lead when he arrives.

The converters tried are ACR, Silkypix, PSP and the beta version of
Lightroom - all report the file damaged or corrupted The camera is a Pentax

He put one online for me to try earlier (I can give you the url if you want
to try it yourself) - I've no idea its position is in relation to the others
on the card. It appears that no images after #19 can be opened - even
individually.

Regards

Old September 19th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andy

Epoch wrote:
The camera is a Pentax

Curious to know which model. I have never used an SD card larger that
1.0 gB in my DS but I have loaded 2.0 firmware that should make that
possible.

Andy

Old September 19th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Epoch

"Holley" wrote in message

Have they tried to download the images from the camera directly to the
computer? If so, you may want to try skipping number 20, in case that is
causing the others to show up as bad. What kind of camera, and which RAW
converters?

Good luck

Panic over!! - his Vaio had no SD slot, so he was using a USB card reader,
which is obviously faulty. (an odd fault, though - allowing precisely the
same number of images to be read from each card, and announcing that the
remainder were damaged! It obviously affected the images because the one he
put on-line for me to download was corrupt when I tried to open it myself,
yet is fine when read directly from the card onmy computer))

All the images are present & correct when the card is inserted into a PC SD
slot, or a PC CF slot (using the card adapter)

Apparently I got the wrong message about him trying on the client's own PC.

So, happy days, the camera is fine, the cards are fine, the images are fine
(better if I'd taken them, though!) and an entire day hasn't been wasted.

Thanks for your input.

Old September 22nd 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Clark Martin

In article , "Epoch"
wrote:

"Holley" wrote in message

Have they tried to download the images from the camera directly to the
computer? If so, you may want to try skipping number 20, in case that is
causing the others to show up as bad. What kind of camera, and which RAW
converters?

Good luck

Panic over!! - his Vaio had no SD slot, so he was using a USB card reader,
which is obviously faulty. (an odd fault, though - allowing precisely the
same number of images to be read from each card, and announcing that the
remainder were damaged! It obviously affected the images because the one he
put on-line for me to download was corrupt when I tried to open it myself,
yet is fine when read directly from the card onmy computer))

The total size of the "good" pictures wouldn't happen to be a nice round
number (or close to it) like 512Mb, 1Gb,...

I was trying to load files onto a 4Gb SD card and it just kept throwing
some meaningless error message at me. Until I noticed that the card had
1Gb on it. Then I checked and while the computer reported 3Gb free it
reported the card capacity as 1Gb.

Got a new card reader.

--
Clark Martin

Old October 2nd 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
QX

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:45:51 +0100, "Epoch" wrote:

"Holley" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Glad you solved the problem, but this utility is good to know about
should a more complex problem come up:

Lexar calls it Image Rescue.
http://www.lexar.com/software/image_rescue.html

SanDisk also makes a similar product called Rescue Pro
www.sandisk.com