Canon SD700 IS?

Old September 2nd 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Canon SD700 IS?

Ok so after my first thread I contemplated an entry DSLR camera like
the Canon Rebel XT and decided I'm just not ready for something that
expensive (with all the extra lenses and accessories), or bulky. So
like I said before, I like my Canon SD400 but my main problem is
blurriness from camera movement when shooting low iso indoor shots in
less than ideal light.. i dont like flash or grainy higher iso shots,
i'd rather take 3-4 shots of something with a low iso, high exposure
and no flash and cross my fingers that at least one turns out sharp.
The image stabilization on the SD700 looks like it might be able to
help with that a lot..? The other time I experience blur is when
shooting outdoors, I like to shoot panorama's with my optical zoom
maxed, i end up with very large detailed shots.. its also much easier
to blur a shot when zoomed in, especially if i'm on top of a mountain
or a sand dune and its windy.. so again I'm hoping this is something
the image stabilization would help with...? The extra megapixel and 4x
zoom over my current 3x zoom should also give the pictures greater
detail as well which is a bonus.

So to those of you who've tested or own the SD700, will the IS make a
noticable difference? It would be nice to shoot a 20 picture panorama
and not have to worry that maybe one of the pictures is blurry, or be
nice to just take one shot indoors in low light/iso instead of three to
get a usable picture.. not sure if i'm overestimating the capabilities
of this feature, just going by what some reviews have led me to
believe.

Thanks

Old September 3rd 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Sommers

I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700 IS and
it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the IS do help
with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not magic. It's just better
than not having it.

Bye.

oups.com...

Old September 3rd 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"David Sommers" writes:
I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700 IS and
it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the IS do help
with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not magic. It's just better
than not having it.

Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
the A710 once it becomes available.
Old September 3rd 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Paul Rubin wrote:
"David Sommers" writes:
I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700
IS and it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the
IS do help with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not
magic. It's just better than not having it.

Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
the A710 once it becomes available.

It makes a difference...unless your sight is as poor as Rita's...
...at which point, "It matters not one wit if you focus, hold steady, or
forget to turn IS on.
It's all the same, I tell ya!" -Rita

MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 3rd 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
the A710 once it becomes available.

It makes a difference...unless your sight is as poor as Rita's...
...at which point, "It matters not one wit if you focus, hold
steady, or forget to turn IS on.
It's all the same, I tell ya!" -Rita

LOL! Thank you for pointing out an aspect of your problem that I
never even considered, poor eyesight. Maybe you should try wearing
corrective lenses to cure this problem, Mark.

20-13 vision, chum.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 3rd 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

QX wrote:
On 2 Sep 2006 10:32:30 -0700, wrote:
I like to shoot panorama's with my optical zoom
maxed, i end up with very large detailed shots.. its also much easier
to blur a shot when zoomed in, especially if i'm on top of a mountain
or a sand dune and its windy.. so again I'm hoping this is something
the image stabilization would help with...? The extra megapixel and 4x
zoom over my current 3x zoom should also give the pictures greater
detail as well which is a bonus.

What trick do you use so as not to lose your horizontal perspective
point? When I shoot 10+ image panoramas, I find that by the time I get
back to the starting point, I have dropped my reference point and
stitching results in a lot of top/bottom loss. I have started carrying
a small tripod and set it up on a tree stump or rockpile. I find the
tripod eliminates shake & keeps the reference point equal on all
images.
BTW, I use autostitch to do the image manipulation. What are you
using?

most times im not carrying a pack so i rarely use a tripod, i usually
do it twice so i generally always get what i need. i always end up back
at my starting point or where i want to be, i don't know, thats never
been a problem for me. i also overlap a fair amount on the vertical
just to be safe. i just take my picture then look in the viewfinder for
a reference point on the right hand side of the picture, move my camera
over so that reference is in the same vertical position but on the left
hand side of the shot, and take my next picture, and so on.. i also use
autostitch, its amazing.

Old September 3rd 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Paul Rubin wrote:
"David Sommers" writes:
I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700 IS and
it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the IS do help
with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not magic. It's just better
than not having it.

Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
the A710 once it becomes available.

this show just how little i know but, what are the 'wideangle settings'?

Old September 3rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

Your blurryness might be to light a tripod, to heavy a finger or poor
focus, in daylight speed should be fine, you might try the self timer
and a heavy tripod as you mention wind affecting the photos, light
tripods get moved easily in wind. For what you shoot I dont see the
I.S., extra mp, extra 1x zoom as being a choise that will really be the
best. The resolution, LPH, of the 700 may be near what you have now apx
1500 LPH. I have a H5 but the higher resolution of the FZ30 apx 1800 LPH
[near that of the 350d], 12x zoom, very good IS and 8mp to be an
improvement that will help your style. Read dpreview and find Resolution
test results you will be suprised what you find. The fz50 will be out
soon so the fz30 will drop