C-41 Processing -- Development Times -- Mini-lab

Old August 27th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jeph

Default C-41 Processing -- Development Times -- Mini-lab

I am now working at the "Nations number one pharmacy" in the photo lab.
I usually take my film to Ritz because they do an excellant job. But
for under $3.00 I can develop my film w/o getting prints. I'm a little
bothered, I clean the machines, do 4 different types of tests and
callibrations on our Noritsu... but, you just tape the film to the
leader and pop it in the machine, although film is DX-coded these
days... the machine doesn't read them (the cannisters hang free)...
Every film has a different development time so I'm not really sure if
my REALA 100 is going to look any better than a roll of Superia 400.

My question is, will this noticeably affect my negatives and is this
how it works at a pro lab? I have a darkoom at home and have shot on
atleast twenty varieties of b&w film and none of them had the same
development times, so just wondering...

Thanks,
Jeff

Old August 27th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

In article . com,
"Jeph" wrote:

[...]

Those tests are to make sure the chemistry you mixed wasn't screwed up.

All C41 & E6 films have the same development time for a given time and
temperature-for Normal process. Those film processing machines allow for
a slow or faster transport time though. These days I imagine that the
service tech sent by Noritsu adjust that when needed. Film speed is set
by the maker of the film and is not always accurate to the true ISO
designation. Minilabs are very different from Pro labs or at least they
should be. Changing the transport speed (development time) will affect
the film color balance- unless you have a specific reason time
(transport speed ) should not be adjusted.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old August 28th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Rob Novak

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 04:03:39 -0400, "Greg \"_\""
wrote:

All C41 & E6 films have the same development time for a given time and
temperature-for Normal process.

Not quite true. Using Kodak's chemistry, Fujichrome goes in the 1st
devloper longer than other slide films. On a rotary processor,
Ektachrome gets 1st dev. for 6:00 @ 38C, while Fujichrome is in for
7:30.

C-41 is consistent across films/speeds for any given chemistry.
--
Central Maryland Photographer's Guild - http://www.cmpg.org
Strange, Geometrical Hinges - http://sgh.rnovak.net
Old August 28th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Rob Novak spake thus:

wrote:

All C41 & E6 films have the same development time for a given time and
temperature-for Normal process.

Not quite true. Using Kodak's chemistry, Fujichrome goes in the 1st
devloper longer than other slide films. On a rotary processor,
Ektachrome gets 1st dev. for 6:00 @ 38C, while Fujichrome is in for
7:30.

C-41 is consistent across films/speeds for any given chemistry.

Since the OP asked about negatives, not slides, that's the answer they
were looking for.

--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

Because it's only with enemies that one makes peace.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery08032006.html)
Old August 29th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

wrote:

All C41 & E6 films have the same development time for a given time and
temperature-for Normal process.

Not quite true. Using Kodak's chemistry, Fujichrome goes in the 1st
devloper longer than other slide films. On a rotary processor,
Ektachrome gets 1st dev. for 6:00 @ 38C, while Fujichrome is in for
7:30.

C-41 is consistent across films/speeds for any given chemistry.

Yes I stand corrected, however try finding a lab willing to make the
correction for Fuijichrome.

Old August 29th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Rob Novak

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:38:42 -0400, "Greg \"_\""
wrote:

Yes I stand corrected, however try finding a lab willing to make the
correction for Fuijichrome.

Unless they're already a Fuji lab. ;-)

Old August 30th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
technaphot S.A.

Hi,

developping time is the same for every C41 film regardless of nominal
sensitivity (3M 15 sec).

You can push the film by overdeloppement (longer time in first CD), but it
is not your goal.

So never mind, your negatives will be ok.

Robert AUDRIT

So your film will not be affected, if I understand well your question