How to determine the age of a Mamiya RB Sekor C lens?

Old July 3rd 04, 09:13 PM
Ronin

Default How to determine the age of a Mamiya RB Sekor C lens?

Hi

I'm wondering if there is a way to determine the age of a Mamiya Sekor C
lens according to its serial number... I've heard there could be some
quality issues on the oldest Mamiya lenses, even on some of the old "C"
ones... Is there any table I can look to know in which year a lens has been
manufactured?

thank you

Old July 3rd 04, 09:38 PM
Thom Tapp

Default graflex back for RB67

A friend gave me two graflex backs, and they work on my RB67. Haven't run
any film through it yet, but does anyone know if they hold the film flat
enough for good quality results? Anyone have any experience with using these
with an RB?

Old July 3rd 04, 09:39 PM
Thom Tapp

oops, sorry I didn't mean to post this under your thread... I'll re post it
on another.

Old July 3rd 04, 10:20 PM
Mike

"Ronin" wrote in message
Hi

I'm wondering if there is a way to determine the age of a Mamiya Sekor C
lens according to its serial number... I've heard there could be some
quality issues on the oldest Mamiya lenses, even on some of the old "C"
ones... Is there any table I can look to know in which year a lens has

been
manufactured?

thank you

There is a possibility Mamiya America can tell you based on the serial
number.
Generally C lenses were produced from 1974 through 1990. There were two
major shutter changes also. Personally I don't know any one who is unhappy
with any C lens they own. Look at the shutter blades, IF they are mat black
and the lens has not had the shutter replaced than you may have the latest C
lens.

Old July 3rd 04, 11:54 PM
Ronin

oops, sorry I didn't mean to post this under your thread... I'll re post
it
on another.

you're welcome :-)

besides, I own a Graflex and may tell you something about the graflex backs:
they doesn't seem to flatten the film very good... this issue doesn't occur
with all backs, so you should run your tests and see if those backs of yours
are okay.

I'd go for original Mamiya backs... an used ProS back isn't much expensive
nowdays...

ciao

Old July 4th 04, 03:04 AM
dadiOH

Ronin wrote:
Hi

I'm wondering if there is a way to determine the age of a Mamiya
Sekor C lens according to its serial number... I've heard there
could be some quality issues on the oldest Mamiya lenses, even on
some of the old "C" ones... Is there any table I can look to know
in which year a lens has been manufactured?

The earliest ones were symmetrical. Later one may have been too - don't
know, never had one - but I don't think so.

By "symmetrical" I mean that the rear elements would function as a stand
alone lens of about 140mm after the front ones were unscrewed.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old July 4th 04, 09:30 AM
Ronin

The earliest ones were symmetrical. Later one may have been too - don't
know, never had one - but I don't think so.

By "symmetrical" I mean that the rear elements would function as a stand
alone lens of about 140mm after the front ones were unscrewed.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I've asked that question because I'd intend to buy
a Mamiya lens on ebay and all that I can check is the serial number...
Checking the diaphgram blades or if the front elements screws away is a
little beyond my possibilities...

Old July 4th 04, 10:44 AM
Vincent Becker

Ronin wrote:

or if the front elements screws away is a
little beyond my possibilities...

Ask the seller to try it for you ;-)

--
Vincent Becker
Photographies et appareils anciens - Photography and classic cameras
Old July 4th 04, 11:19 AM
Ronin

or if the front elements screws away is a
little beyond my possibilities...

Ask the seller to try it for you ;-)

hmmm... good point :-)