Nikon D70

Old August 14th 05, 10:04 PM
Bruce

Default Nikon D70

I have bought a Nikon D70 with the Nikkor AF Zoom 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G lens.
My previous camera was the Nikon F401 & I'm wondering if the AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-210mm f/4-5.6 AI-S lens will work properly with the D70.

The auto focus seems to work but I've been told that the auto metering will
not.

Best Wishes
Bruce
( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

Old August 14th 05, 10:17 PM
frederick

Bruce wrote:
I have bought a Nikon D70 with the Nikkor AF Zoom 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G lens.
My previous camera was the Nikon F401 & I'm wondering if the AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-210mm f/4-5.6 AI-S lens will work properly with the D70.

The auto focus seems to work but I've been told that the auto metering will
not.

Best Wishes
Bruce
( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

The 70-210 f4-5.6 AF lens will work without problems. If it is a
f4-f5.6 "D" then all the better - as the D (distance information)
supplied to the camera body supports 3d colour matrix metering, and the
D version has a very high AF gear ratio - it focuses very quickly - if a
little noisily.
Old August 14th 05, 11:07 PM
Michael Benveniste

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:04:38 GMT, "Bruce"
wrote:

I have bought a Nikon D70 with the Nikkor AF Zoom 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G lens.
My previous camera was the Nikon F401 & I'm wondering if the AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-210mm f/4-5.6 AI-S lens will work properly with the D70.

If it's an autofocus lens, it will work fine, but you won't be able
to use 3D flash metering. Non-autofocus AI-S lenses will mount
correctly, but most can only be used in non-metered manual mode.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old August 15th 05, 10:27 AM
Steve Franklin

( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

Scio erit in lecto fortissimus

Old August 15th 05, 11:44 PM
John McWilliams

Steve Franklin wrote:
( Illegitimi non carborundum est

Scio erit in lecto fortissimus

請, 現在去去。
Old August 16th 05, 08:34 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

I do believe that he stated it was an AI-S lens.

He also said it was AF. Hence the confusion. (Most Nikon AF lenses are
also AI-S, which can cause some misunderstandings.)

--
Jeremy |
Old August 17th 05, 03:19 AM
george

"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

I do believe that he stated it was an AI-S lens.

He also said it was AF. Hence the confusion. (Most Nikon AF lenses are
also AI-S, which can cause some misunderstandings.)

--
Jeremy |

I thought ALL AF lenses were AI-S also. What are the exceptions?

George

Old August 17th 05, 03:41 AM
Jeremy Nixon

george wrote:

I thought ALL AF lenses were AI-S also. What are the exceptions?

The "G" lenses are not AI-S.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 19th 05, 10:00 PM
DoN. Nichols

george wrote:

I thought ALL AF lenses were AI-S also. What are the exceptions?

The "G" lenses are not AI-S.

--
Jeremy |

I guess I wasn't paying real close attention as I'd never really wanted a
lens w/o an aperture ring (due to lack of
backward compatibility with my older camera bodies).

Well ... it depends on *how* muc older the camera bodies are.
The 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 G (D70 "kit" lens) works nicely on the Nikon N90s
camera body -- other than the vignetting -- which happens to not be a
problem with mine, since it is a NC2000e/c -- the N90s film body was
mounted onto a back made by Kodak to turn it into a digital camera, and
the sensor gives a crop factor similar to the D70.

However -- not all cameras will be able to control the G series
lenses. Certainly my much older Nikon F bodies will be at a loss in
dealing with them.

..there really doesn't
seem to be any reason for G series to
not be AI-S except cost savings because the cameras that CAN use the G
lenses don't look at the old mechanical
AI/AI-S indexing. Thanks for the education!

They don't indeed. And note that quite a few recent lenses are
available both in the G format and in ones with the AI/AI-S indexing --
and there *is* a significant difference in the prices of otherwise
identical lenses.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |