please recommend a 120 film scanner

Old June 21st 04, 04:21 PM
Sabineellen

Default please recommend a 120 film scanner

I'd suggest going with a "real" film scanner rather than a flatbed
unit if you are concerned about really getting details in your scans.
I've tried the Epson 2450 and 3200, but was not happy with the results
except for B&W film (not sure why this is...) I've used the Nikon 8000
and now own the Mikrotek 120tf and feel that the investment is worth
the results.

YMMV

-Karl
http://karlwinkler.com

Hello, the price is out of budget for a hobbyist like myself. I guess i'll just
have the images in which i care about maximum quality professionally scanned if
i must, and this probably won't happy often. Okay, here's the situation, i
would like to have the 120 color negative film developed only with no prints to
save money (so buying an expensive scanner won't make sense, i won't print at
home) and have it scanned to produce any image i can view on a monitor, even if
it's an 800x600, what's the least expensive scanner you'd recommend?

Alternatively, is there an alternative way to view color negative film than a
scanner or prints? do you recommend i just shoot slide film and get a light box
instead? thanks
Old June 21st 04, 05:19 PM
MikeWhy

"Karl Winkler" wrote in message
om...
I've tried the Epson 2450 and 3200, but was not happy with the results
except for B&W film (not sure why this is...)

The software and driver makes a big difference on the scan. Silverfast does
a pretty fair job of inverting negatives. I prefer now to invert it manually
in Photoshop with a curves adjustment layer.

Old June 21st 04, 05:44 PM
one_of_many

In article , "MikeWhy"
wrote:

The software and driver makes a big difference on the scan. Silverfast does
a pretty fair job of inverting negatives. I prefer now to invert it manually
in Photoshop with a curves adjustment layer.

I suspect the OP doesn't have Photoshop. It _is_ a spendy package. I
recommend Adobe Elements to people who just cannot afford Photoshop at
this time. Elements has a lot for the money if you get by the push-button
stage, possibly incorporate Photoshop actions (there's a whole book on
that subject).

Another good resource for Photoshop users (that you already know of, Mike)
is http://www.curvemeister.com/

The scanning software and driver provided with the Epson 3200 is quite
good. Frankly, Mike, I can't stand Silverfast, but your recommendation
gives me reason to look at it again.
Old June 22nd 04, 04:22 AM
Mxsmanic

Sabineellen writes:

Hello, the price is out of budget for a hobbyist like myself. I guess i'll just
have the images in which i care about maximum quality professionally scanned if
i must, and this probably won't happy often.

You'll find that the cost of lab scans is so high that you can pay for
your own scanner for less than it would cost to get even a single roll
completely scanned at the lab. And your scans will be better than the
scans from the lab.

Alternatively, is there an alternative way to view color negative film than a
scanner or prints? do you recommend i just shoot slide film and get a light box
instead?

Slides are an excellent option in this case.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:59 AM
Karl Winkler

"Georg N.Nyman" wrote in message ...
Hi,
unless you intend to scan large amount of 120/200 format film, I would
suggest you to get the Epson 4870 Photo scanner - excellent value for money.
If you like, read my review which I published a short while ago at my
website, which is: http://www.gnyman.com
Rgds George Nyman

George,

After looking at your web site with the comparison of the 3200 and
4870, I have to say that the 4870 looks pretty decent. Thanks for
posting that information.

Regards,

-Karl
http://karlwinkler.com