please recommend a 120 film scanner

Old June 19th 04, 08:30 PM
Mike Henley

Default please recommend a 120 film scanner

I bought a GA645 and i have so far found that the most economical way
is to have film developed only at a mail-in lab, no prints, which is
fine. Now though i would need a good scanner. What's the most
economical but good scanner i can get? would it be one of the epson
perfection flatbed ones with film holders? how would it work with
negatives?

P.S it would be great if it scanned 35mm too.
Old June 19th 04, 10:41 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
om...
I bought a GA645 and i have so far found that the most economical way
is to have film developed only at a mail-in lab, no prints, which is
fine. Now though i would need a good scanner. What's the most
economical but good scanner i can get?

Epson 4870. To the best I can tell, you'd be better off with a Canon 300D
than with anything less than the 4870.

would it be one of the epson
perfection flatbed ones with film holders? how would it work with
negatives?

My experience with the 2450 was that it was _happier_ with negatives than
slides. High contrast slides flare. Don't know about the 4870.

P.S it would be great if it scanned 35mm too.

If it scans 120, it'll scan 35mm.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 19th 04, 11:14 PM
BillW

Mike Henley wrote:

I bought a GA645 and i have so far found that the most economical way
is to have film developed only at a mail-in lab, no prints, which is
fine. Now though i would need a good scanner. What's the most
economical but good scanner i can get? would it be one of the epson
perfection flatbed ones with film holders? how would it work with
negatives?

P.S it would be great if it scanned 35mm too.

I purchased an Epson 3200 earlier in the year and it does a pretty
good job with 120 and 35mm film. It's a 3200 dpi scanner, but for
an 'economy' scanner, it's not bad.

I think the 3200 has been replaced by the 4870.

billw
Old June 19th 04, 11:47 PM
one_of_many

In article , BillW wrote:

Mike Henley wrote:

I bought a GA645 and i have so far found that the most economical way
is to have film developed only at a mail-in lab, no prints, which is
fine. Now though i would need a good scanner. What's the most
economical but good scanner i can get? would it be one of the epson
perfection flatbed ones with film holders? how would it work with
negatives?

P.S it would be great if it scanned 35mm too.

I purchased an Epson 3200 earlier in the year and it does a pretty
good job with 120 and 35mm film. It's a 3200 dpi scanner, but for
an 'economy' scanner, it's not bad.

Actually, it is not a 3200dpi scanner. At 3200 or more noise is an
issue, but it always is.
Old June 20th 04, 05:06 AM
Mxsmanic

Nikon makes great MF scanners.

Old June 20th 04, 08:13 AM
EDGY01

What's the most
economical but good scanner i can get? BRBR

I have to recommend the Nikon Super Coolscan 8000ED. It was recently replaced
by the 9000ED so priced may be depressed for the 8000 by now. 4000 dpi, and
well worth it.

dan
Old June 20th 04, 08:10 PM
Georg N.Nyman

Hi,
unless you intend to scan large amount of 120/200 format film, I would
suggest you to get the Epson 4870 Photo scanner - excellent value for money.
If you like, read my review which I published a short while ago at my
website, which is: http://www.gnyman.com
Rgds George Nyman

Old June 20th 04, 09:29 PM
Sabineellen

Hi,
unless you intend to scan large amount of 120/200 format film, I would
suggest you to get the Epson 4870 Photo scanner - excellent value for money.
If you like, read my review which I published a short while ago at my
website, which is: http://www.gnyman.com
Rgds George Nyman

George, I love your site. Friendly and very very nice stuff on there.