RB67 for Mamiya 7/7II

Old June 25th 04, 03:44 PM
Bouser

Default RB67 for Mamiya 7/7II

I had a 7II, and ditched it for the same reasons: I had problems focusing.
And when you're off just a little with that camera, it really softens the
image, defeating the purpose of having it in the first place. I was
attracted to the neg size, portability, and lens quality. But the drawbacks
eventually drove me away.

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
.. .
From: "Matt Clara"

Listen to what I'm saying, and then tell me if I'm crazy, or not.

I want the rangefinder for its legendary lenses, its portability, its
accurate meter, its ease of use, its ease of focus, and the fact that

it's
somewhat discreet.

We have two bodies and five lenses for this system ... the lenses are

great,
portability is great, I guess it's discreet. Love the image quality and

large
prints. But ...

The meter is accurate to a point but it's easy to get bad readings since

it's
basically heavily center weighted to the viewfinder (not the lens) and
consequently the wider lenses end up with a very narrow metering area,

so
you
have to be careful there. For landscape work I usually carry a 1 degree
spotmeter and use that to meter the tricky scenes when using this camera

and
often overrule the camera's reading.

"ease of focus" is a joke. One of the lenses won't focus at all (210

mm),
meaning it doesn't couple to the rangefinder or an optical finder, you

simply
have to measure the distance or guesstimate it. Another lens (43 mm)

focusses
thru the viewfinder but the viewfinder can't show the correct field of

view for
the lens, you need a second finder attached to the hotshoe for that. So

you
focus thru one window and frame thru another.

Even the lenses we have that act "normal" focus-wise (65, 80, 150 mm)

don't
focus very quickly for me and my eyes. I can focus my Pentax 645 much

faster
than I can this system, for example. I think it's a quirky focus system

so
maybe you can try it ahead of time with the lenses you hope to own and

see
if
it fits your needs.

even with the money made
selling the RB67 equipment, I'll still have to pony up some of my own

dough
just to get the Mamiya and a basic 80mm lens

You might find that the lenses are a lot cheaper if you buy from Hong

Kong
or
Robert White in England, since Mamiya USA has such a monopoly that there

are no
grey market items available in the US and prices are ridiculous. I

saved
almost $1,000 buying the 43 mm from Robert White for example, compared

the
B&H price on the same lens. I think I'd still buy the body here in the

states
just to get the warranty and ensure service. This may be the most

fragile
camera body I've ever owned, on one of them the rangefinder simply quit

working
(wouldn't focus) one day after a couple years of moderate use and zero

rough
handling and it cost several hundred bucks to get it fixed.

... if it's not a crazy move--what do you think?

The image quality is great but there are a lot of quirks with this

system.
Make sure you understand them before you dive in.

Bill

Thanks for your reply, Bill--I was hoping for some more input from others

as
well, but none seems forthcoming. Be that as it may, do you know of any
online camera stores based in Japan with the great Mamiya prices of which
you speak? Used equipment would be acceptable, too.

--
Thanks,
Matt Clara

Old June 26th 04, 03:58 AM
Matt Clara

From: "Bouser"

I had a 7II, and ditched it for the same reasons: I had problems

focusing.
And when you're off just a little with that camera, it really softens the
image, defeating the purpose of having it in the first place. I was
attracted to the neg size, portability, and lens quality. But the

drawbacks
eventually drove me away.

Ah, that clicked a dozen neurons into place and I remembered this article

by
Michael (Love 'em or Hate 'em) Reichmann, who used the 7 II for a year and

then
dumped it, in large part because of focus problems.

Matt, you might find it worth reading before you decide.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...hands-on.shtml

Then there's Pulitzer-Prize winning photojournalist David Kennerly, who

did a
very nice book using the Mam 7 II with mainly (only?) the 43 mm lens ...

Bill

Reichman's focus problem was almost exclusively with the 150mm lens--was
that your experience as well?

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 28th 04, 01:57 AM
Alan Hogg

From: "Bouser"

[...]

Hi there,

I have had Mamiya 7s (both versions) since they first came out, using 50,
65, 80 & 150 mm lenses. I take landscapes only, mainly with Fuji Velvia
and always on a tripod. The transparencies are fantastic. I always focus
using the lens depth of field markings (being more conservative by
2-stops) and have never have focus problems. The technique is simple and
bomb proof but it is of course not particulalry fast and the tripod is a
pain at times if I am on a multi-day backpacking trip (normal).

If you can put up with taking photos in this manner, the Mamiya 7 outfit
is brilliant. And as others have mentioned, Hong Kong or Robert White in
the UK is the best place to buy.

Should problems arise it is very easy to get support from the country of
purchase. Courier after all can take as little as 4 days to go around the
world.
Not a biggie in my opinion. I have no problems at all with the Hong Kong
shop I have been using for the past 5 years (Cameron Photo Comapny.

Good luck with the purchase.

Alan Hogg
University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Old June 29th 04, 11:57 PM
Matt Clara

From: "Bouser"

[...]

Gotcha' Alan--thanks.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old July 6th 04, 03:23 AM
No One

Mamiya of America is the BIGGEST rip off around. If you want Mamiya, buy
from Robert White in the UK. 40% cheaper and great service. The will handle
all warranty issues. Mamiya of teh USA is just ripping people off. No more
and no less.

"Mike" wrote in message
ink.net...

From: "Mike"

Matt, FYI, Mamiya America will not perform warrantee service on select
equipment they deem to be gray market.

That's one reason I suggested buying the body with a US warranty but

getting
the lenses elsewhere.

I understand Bill what I don't know yet is, do any of the lenses fall in

their gray market category.