D-70 with CR-2's

Old August 19th 05, 03:07 PM
Ferd

Default D-70 with CR-2's

Hello all:

Going to Ireland (in 8 weeks) taking my D-70. As a backup battery I'm
taking the CR-2 holder stuffed with cells.
was wondering (only if I need to use it) how many shots (average) I can
expect to get. I know this is hard to answer.
anyone know?

Thanks

Terry

Old August 19th 05, 09:12 PM
Norm Dresner

"Ferd" wrote in message
Hello all:

Going to Ireland (in 8 weeks) taking my D-70. As a backup battery I'm
taking the CR-2 holder stuffed with cells.
was wondering (only if I need to use it) how many shots (average) I can
expect to get. I know this is hard to answer.
anyone know?

Fewer than you'll get with a freshly charged LiON battery. I used my CR-2
holder for a backup for a while and eventually broke down and bought a
second LiON battery to carry as well. But I wouldn't go out without the
CR-2 holder either since I can almost always get new batteries even in
places where I can't stop and recharge the LiON. BTW, you do have a charger
that will work on +12 V in cars and the 220 V in Europe, don't you?

Norm

Old August 19th 05, 10:15 PM
DoN. Nichols

Norm Dresner wrote:

[ ... ]

But I wouldn't go out without the
CR-2 holder either since I can almost always get new batteries even in
places where I can't stop and recharge the LiON. BTW, you do have a charger
that will work on +12 V in cars and the 220 V in Europe, don't you?

For the 12V you still have a problem, but the input voltage
rating on the MH-18 quick charger which came with my D70 is 100-240V
50-60Hz, so as long as you can find an adaptor to plug into the 240VAC
outlets in some countries -- *or* a spare power cord with the
appropriate plug on the end for were you are.

Lots of modern equipment uses switching regulated power supplies
which can automatically handle the rather wide range of voltages from
wall outlets around the world. It is easy to do with modern switching
regulators, and it reduces the number of chargers (or other power
supplies) which need to be stocked.

The old linear regulated supplies (with a transformer) would
need a multi-tap primary, and a switch to handle the changeover -- or
for higher power levels, dual primaries, and switching to connect the
windings in series for 240VAC and in parallel for 120VAC -- thus
requiring operator intervention.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564