d50

Old August 16th 05, 09:49 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Brian wrote:

Jeremy, what makes a person an 'entry level slr user'?

If you've never used an SLR before, that's probably you.

Once you get more and more experience, you will start to feel the desire
(I hesitate to say "need") for more features and such. When you're just
starting out, you'll have enough to deal with just getting used to the
new way of working (as compared to using a P&S) that it's better not to
worry about that stuff anyway. Something like DOF preview -- don't worry
about it at first, until you get a handle on DOF to begin with, or else
it'll just distract you.

Pretty much any SLR will have the basic necessities, like manual controls
and lack of significant shutter lag.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 16th 05, 09:51 PM
Paul Schilter

I think I'd have to get the 70s over the 50D for just the illuminated
lcd screen. But then I'm getting old. :-)
Paul

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
Brian wrote:

It seems like many of the complaints aren't really related to the
ability of the camera produce good pictures...could someone explain?

The pictures will be just fine.

The D50 lacks some features as compared to the D70; image quality isn't
one of them. If you can't see anything missing that you care about,
then odds are you won't care.

Old August 16th 05, 11:10 PM
wilt

PC connection for flash (to use studio flash without using hot shoe
adapter)
True pentaprism (not pentamirror)
Ultimate resolution (as seen in direct comparison), lower noise at ISO
400
8 Mpixel
5 fps burst speed (for sports)

Old August 16th 05, 11:17 PM
wilt

Oh...one last thing...20D uses the same batteries as my G2!

Old August 17th 05, 01:07 AM
Sheldon

"Brian" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been reading some reviews (and newsgroup rants, raves, etc) about
the d50 and I would really like to hear what makes it so "entry level"
and might make it not suitable for a "serious amateur"? By the way I
currently use a Canon G2.

For example, why does it matter that there isn't any white balance
tuning if I shoot RAW? Is the DOF preview really as important as it
used to be when you couldn't review the picture immediately after
taking it?

It seems like many of the complaints aren't really related to the
ability of the camera produce good pictures...could someone explain?
If this was the only dslr would "serious amateurs" have to quit
altogether because the camera isn't capable (that's what some people
make it sound like)?

(No comments about the kit lens(es) please, I'm talking about the body
only here)

Anyway, I'm asking because I'm likely going to buy one of the "entry
level" dslrs (XT or D50, maybe D70) and I would like to hear some of
these questions answered.

Thanks, Brian

For one, I really like having both the front and rear control dials on the
camera, and while I know you don't want to discuss the kit lens, the D70 kit
lens is one of the best around. Both cameras should give you great images,
if you are capable of taking great images, and you just have to look down
the list of options. If you don't need what the D70 or D70s offer, get the
50. The same lens on either camera should offer images so close you
wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And, not that many people shoot in
RAW mode anyway.

Old August 19th 05, 01:32 PM
Alan Browne

Brian wrote:

For example, why does it matter that there isn't any white balance
tuning if I shoot RAW? Is the DOF preview really as important as it
used to be when you couldn't review the picture immediately after
taking it?

With RAW you normally do your light source color in the PC.

It seems like many of the complaints aren't really related to the
ability of the camera produce good pictures...could someone explain?
If this was the only dslr would "serious amateurs" have to quit
altogether because the camera isn't capable (that's what some people
make it sound like)?

(No comments about the kit lens(es) please, I'm talking about the body
only here)

Anyway, I'm asking because I'm likely going to buy one of the "entry
level" dslrs (XT or D50, maybe D70) and I would like to hear some of
these questions answered.

Skip right to the Maxxum 5D and don't worry. Has DOF preview, spot
metering and anti-shake... (to name a few).

FWIW a friend has the D50 and it is serving him quite well. OTOH, he
cares no a whit for DOF preview and RAW files.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.