Nikon D300 HDR out of the camera !!

Old March 2nd 08, 10:25 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sosumi

Default Nikon D300 HDR out of the camera !!

Just a regular very windy day at the beach and around Peniche, Portugal..
Amazing detail in shadows with ActiveD-lighting, without blown highlights !

Shows how well the D300's 3D tracking focus works and a picture showing
details of a seagull.... shot straight at the sun !!

The wind was so hard, people started to fly around!

http://nikon-box.com/

--
Sosumi

Old March 2nd 08, 11:08 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don Wiss

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:25:46 -0000, "Sosumi" wrote:

Just a regular very windy day at the beach and around Peniche, Portugal..
Amazing detail in shadows with ActiveD-lighting, without blown highlights !

Shows how well the D300's 3D tracking focus works and a picture showing
details of a seagull.... shot straight at the sun !!

The wind was so hard, people started to fly around!

http://nikon-box.com/

What lens?

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).
Old March 2nd 08, 11:13 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sosumi

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:25:46 -0000, "Sosumi" wrote:

Just a regular very windy day at the beach and around Peniche, Portugal..
Amazing detail in shadows with ActiveD-lighting, without blown highlights
!

Shows how well the D300's 3D tracking focus works and a picture showing
details of a seagull.... shot straight at the sun !!

The wind was so hard, people started to fly around!

http://nikon-box.com/

What lens?

Just the 18-135mm

Why?

--
Sosumi

Old March 3rd 08, 12:13 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Sosumi wrote:
Just a regular very windy day at the beach and around Peniche, Portugal..
Amazing detail in shadows with ActiveD-lighting, without blown highlights !

Shows how well the D300's 3D tracking focus works and a picture showing
details of a seagull.... shot straight at the sun !!

The wind was so hard, people started to fly around!

http://nikon-box.com/

After agonising for months (not helped by trying a Canon 5d and pixel
peeping raw files from both), I've arrived home today with a D300.
Only observation so far is that the focus system seems to handle lenses
with spherical aberration (like the 80-200 AF-D) much better than older
Nikons. On the D70/80/200, the lens visibly back-focuses @ 10m
distance f2.8, yet perfect at infinity, so not "adjustable" for typical
backfocus.
The other observation is that the Sigma 10-20 on the D300 seems just
fine. It is perhaps marginally not as pixel level sharp as the 17-40l
center frame on the 5d, as expected (partly stronger AA filter, partly
full frame advantage) - but at extreme corners set at 12mm (~= 18mm on
17-40l) is quite a bit better in the extreme corners.
They were my #1 concerns - so far so good.

Old March 3rd 08, 01:17 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

frederick wrote:
Sosumi wrote:
Just a regular very windy day at the beach and around Peniche, Portugal..
Amazing detail in shadows with ActiveD-lighting, without blown
highlights !

Shows how well the D300's 3D tracking focus works and a picture
showing details of a seagull.... shot straight at the sun !!

The wind was so hard, people started to fly around!

http://nikon-box.com/

After agonising for months (not helped by trying a Canon 5d and pixel
peeping raw files from both), I've arrived home today with a D300.
Only observation so far is that the focus system seems to handle lenses
with spherical aberration (like the 80-200 AF-D) much better than older
Nikons. On the D70/80/200, the lens visibly back-focuses @ 10m
distance f2.8, yet perfect at infinity, so not "adjustable" for typical
backfocus.

I take some of that back - there's still some backfocus at close range -
better, but not perfect.

Old March 3rd 08, 08:29 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mar 3, 8:25 am, "Sosumi" wrote:
Just a regular very windy day at the beach and around Peniche, Portugal..
Amazing detail in shadows with ActiveD-lighting, without blown highlights !

Shows how well the D300's 3D tracking focus works and a picture showing
details of a seagull.... shot straight at the sun !!

The wind was so hard, people started to fly around!

http://nikon-box.com/

--
Sosumi

There's some nice shots there, Sosumi, but I have to say that with my
(nowadays typical) short attention span, I found the number of images
to be offputting - how about a 'best of' gallery?

Less is more, I reckon.
Old March 3rd 08, 01:08 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sosumi

wrote in message
On Mar 3, 8:25 am, "Sosumi" wrote:
Just a regular very windy day at the beach and around Peniche, Portugal..
Amazing detail in shadows with ActiveD-lighting, without blown highlights
!

Shows how well the D300's 3D tracking focus works and a picture showing
details of a seagull.... shot straight at the sun !!

The wind was so hard, people started to fly around!

http://nikon-box.com/

--
Sosumi

There's some nice shots there, Sosumi, but I have to say that with my
(nowadays typical) short attention span, I found the number of images
to be offputting - how about a 'best of' gallery?

Less is more, I reckon.

Do you mean zero? LOL!

I put the action pictures there to see for others that the 3D tracking
really works great and fast. I shot almost 500 pictures yesterday, so I
think I already cut it much.
Besides: that's why the thumbnails are there; you can choose what you want
to see.

--
Sosumi

Old March 3rd 08, 01:11 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sosumi

"frederick" wrote in message
frederick wrote:
Sosumi wrote:
[...]

How do you have the focus set? I thought I had back focus too, but it turned
out the focus wasn't set correctly. It's pretty advanced and will take some
time to master. I still make mistakes after owning it for several months.
Tip: check the menu A3: what does it say?

--
Sosumi