Tripod recommendation

Old May 8th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alexander Miha[_2_]

Default Tripod recommendation

I am looking for a tripod to replace a cheap and wobbly one. I would
like a good quality, sturdy one that does *not* try to become a
monopod (i.e. bring all legs together) when I move it a little.
Does not need to support a lot of weight (3kg would be more than
enough). Prefer the one for around $250 or less, but can pay more
if necessary.

Any info is appreciated!

--
Alex
Old May 8th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
jean

I have a Manfrotto 190 which is very flexible (many positions possible) and
a Manfrotto 322RC2 head which is really great, easy to position and lock in
place. Both fairly expensive but not looking back on my purchase.

Jean

Old May 8th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On May 8, 1:03 am, "jean" wrote:
I have a Manfrotto 190 which is very flexible (many positions possible) and
a Manfrotto 322RC2 head which is really great, easy to position and lock in
place. Both fairly expensive but not looking back on my purchase.

Jean

"Alexander Miha" a écrit dans le message ...

I am looking for a tripod to replace a cheap and wobbly one. I would
like a good quality, sturdy one that does *not* try to become a
monopod (i.e. bring all legs together) when I move it a little.
Does not need to support a lot of weight (3kg would be more than
enough). Prefer the one for around $250 or less, but can pay more
if necessary.

Any info is appreciated!

--
Alex- Hide quoted text -

I bought a Gitzo G-2220 Explorer Aluminium Tripod Legs (Rapid Column)
- Supports 13.20 lb (5.99 kg) REG & paired it w/a Bogen / Manfrotto
486RC2 Compact Ball Head with Rapid Connect System 2 (Quick Release) -
Supports 13.2 lb (6 kg) REG . This makes this unit untoppable.
the legs don't have a limit to open them with...meaning you can lay it
down flat on the ground & the center post....which is off center...can
be positioned so your camera is mere millimeters from the
ground.....should you have macro capabilities w/your camera. I paid
about $250 for the tripod legs & about $65 for the ball head. This may
be more than you were allowing for your budget but believe
me....THEY'RE WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!! You can find both of these @
bhphotovideo.com I hope this has helped you in some way.

Old May 8th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mardon

wrote:

I bought a Gitzo G-2220 Explorer Aluminium Tripod Legs (Rapid Column)
- Supports 13.20 lb (5.99 kg) REG & paired it w/a Bogen / Manfrotto
486RC2 Compact Ball Head with Rapid Connect System 2 (Quick Release)

*snip*

I have a Manfrotto 468MGRC5 ball head. Mine is on a Manfrotto 055C tripod.
I'm not especially happy with the 468MGRC5 head. When I purchased it, I
had also been considering the BH-55 head from Really Right Stuff.
(
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/) I went with Manfrotto because it was a
lot cheaper. My 'complaint' is that it's very hard to get the friction
adjustment set so that it's loose enough to move but still tight enough not
to fall over with a 180mm macro lens or telephoto lens mounted. I suspect
the RSS equipment would have better tension control. At least it should
for the price. The Manfrotto 055C tripod is certainly stable; no
complaints at all in that regard. The only problem I've encountered is
that after 8 years of use, the friction wheel that holds the top section of
the centre post in place is loosing its grip. Even if I tighten the wheel
as much a possible, the post creeps down as the camera sits. That gets
frustrating when taking macros.
Old May 8th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On May 7, 11:34 pm, Alexander Miha wrote:

[he wants a new tripod for $250]

The carbon fibre Gitzo or similar is the end point for most non-casual
photographers. Fortunately, the Benro equivalents are just as good,
and about half the price, which means your ~$250 can pick up a very
good tripod indeed.

Old May 8th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
carrera d'olbani

I strongly recommend a digital tripod. Make a search on this ng for
the keywords; this topic was already discussed several months ago.

Old May 8th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
LooksLikeRain

On May 8, 7:37 am, "
wrote:
On May 7, 11:34 pm, Alexander Miha wrote:

[he wants a new tripod for $250]

The carbon fibre Gitzo or similar is the end point for most non-casual
photographers. Fortunately, the Benro equivalents are just as good,
and about half the price, which means your ~$250 can pick up a very
good tripod indeed.

Has anyone seen the tripods that amvona.com is offering on ebay? They
seem to be getting good reviews from what I've read, and amvona also
seems to have over 50000 positive feedbacks. I was thinking about
getting either the AT-828BL or the AT-858. Any thoughts as to whether
or not these tripods are any good?