Which filter is best to put on a 50mm 1.4??

Old April 28th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Soren

Default Which filter is best to put on a 50mm 1.4??

Hi,

I just bought a canon 50 mm 1.4f for my 400D. I want to protect the
lens with a filter.. but I have no clue what filter to buy. Will a
filter give me poorer images? I've read something about loss in
contrast when using filters.

Which filters do you use? should I get the most expensive one.. or
since it's a digital SLR, is it less important for image quality?

I've also thought about buying a polarizing filter.. any suggestions
for a good one?

I'd be happy to hear all suggestions!

Soren

Old April 28th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Smith[_3_]

"Soren" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I just bought a canon 50 mm 1.4f for my 400D. I want to protect the
lens with a filter.. but I have no clue what filter to buy. Will a
filter give me poorer images? I've read something about loss in
contrast when using filters.

Which filters do you use? should I get the most expensive one.. or
since it's a digital SLR, is it less important for image quality?

Use a filter, but don't go cheap on your filter...google for filter reviews
and go with that.

DP

Old April 28th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robin

Agreed Jim.

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message

For protecting your lens, get yourself a lens hood and forget
the filter. The 50mm f/1.4 takes the ES71II lens hood.

I had expensive UV filters for all my lenses, but they're
sitting in the drawer now. I use hoods all the time.

Old April 28th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nervous Nick

On Apr 28, 3:31 pm, "Robin" wrote:
Agreed Jim.

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message

For protecting your lens, get yourself a lens hood and forget
the filter. The 50mm f/1.4 takes the ES71II lens hood.

I had expensive UV filters for all my lenses, but they're
sitting in the drawer now. I use hoods all the time.

I third the motion.

Unless you are in some sort of extreme environment (or if for some
reason you are just a complete spazz), a lens hood should be more than
enough to keep your glass in good shape. KISS, is what I always say.

--
YOP...

Old April 28th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Soren wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a canon 50 mm 1.4f for my 400D. I want to protect the
lens with a filter.. but I have no clue what filter to buy. Will a
filter give me poorer images? I've read something about loss in
contrast when using filters.

Which filters do you use? should I get the most expensive one.. or
since it's a digital SLR, is it less important for image quality?

I've also thought about buying a polarizing filter.. any suggestions
for a good one?

I'd be happy to hear all suggestions!

Soren

I would suggest no filter unless you are going to be using it in a way
that will expose it to a lot of abuse.

You will likely gain more, protection and better results using a good
lens hood.

If you feel you really must have a "protective" filter I would suggest
either a cheap UV filter or a top quality UV filter. Both will slightly
degrade the image (unlike the lens hood that might improve it) and the cheap
one will degrade it more. Chances are you will not be able to see the
difference however as most people can't. You should note that most people
here are not the typical person on the street and may be more sensitive to
the slight changes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old April 29th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

OK, all you guys who are against "protecting" your expensive lenses from
dirt (especially that combined with moisture) just how do you "clean"
your lenses? A filter can be held under running water and then gently
dried. Can such be done with a Nikkor 70-200 2.8?

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis
Old April 29th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Smith[_3_]

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Soren wrote:
[...]

Negative... Stay away from cheap. If you're going to do, get something
decent and even the "sensitive" folks here won't be able tell the
difference.

DP