New PC - which specs for Photoshop?

Old February 17th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lynn

Default New PC - which specs for Photoshop?

Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynn
www.herrick-photo.co.uk

Old February 17th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
adminforto

"Lynn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynn
www.herrick-photo.co.uk

Get Hewlett Packard and You will not regret it.

http://tyrell-innovations-usa.com/shack3d/index.php

Old February 17th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article .com,
"Lynn" wrote:

Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

That's easy. Either buy an Apple MacPro or build your own Windows PC
using the fastest processor and other components you can afford.
Old February 17th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

adminforto wrote:
[]
Get Hewlett Packard and You will not regret it.

... providing you don't mind a dead slow memory card reader!

David

Old February 17th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C Wright

On 2/17/07 8:23 AM, in article
, "Lynn"
wrote:

Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynn
www.herrick-photo.co.uk

That's really pretty simple: 1 - a fast processor, 2 - plenty of memory
(maybe 3-4 Gig), 3 - a big hard drove (preferably 2 hard drives). The
graphics card does not matter a whole lot. Unless you have a game player in
the house you don't need the latest wiz bang 3D graphics card.

Old February 17th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message ...
adminforto wrote:
[]
Get Hewlett Packard and You will not regret it.

.. providing you don't mind a dead slow memory card reader!

David

My HP transfers files from a full 2g card in less than a minute, actually,
both of them do.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old February 17th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
remove

On 17 Feb 2007 06:23:07 -0800, "Lynn" wrote:

Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynn
www.herrick-photo.co.uk

As stated before, a lot of memory (2 gigs or better), and at least two
fast (SATA II, if you can afford them) hard drives (2n one for
backup). I have a fairly fast built in card reader and really love
it. You'll need a decent graphics card that won't balk at high
resolutions at 32 bit color resolution, but you don't need to spend
mega-bucks on a "gamers" video card.

Your best bet will be to build it yourself, or if that's not your
thing, find a reputable shop that custom builds computers.

Bill

Old February 17th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 17 Feb 2007 06:23:07 -0800, "Lynn" wrote:

Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

Everyone is telling "buy the newest and fastest and most politically
correct". None of them are telling you to find out why your existing
machine is slow.

I'm assuming you're running Windows 2K or later. Right click on the
taskbar then click "task manager" and select the "performance" tab.

While loading a photo look at the "commit charge" or in Vista at the
"memory" graph and see if the amount reported there is larger than the
"total physical memory". If it is then you need more memory. That is
the most common cause of poor performance. Rule that out before you
do anything else.

Thanks,

Lynn
www.herrick-photo.co.uk

Old February 17th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JimKramer

On Feb 17, 9:23 am, "Lynn" wrote:
Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynnwww.herrick-photo.co.uk

The fastest dual-cored processor you can afford. Realistically there
are diminishing returns after about 3 GHz
At least 2 Gb of Ram.
At least 3 hard drives, one for the OS, one for your images and one
for a scratch disk for PS.
Do not get a "shared memory video card".
I've really like working on two monitors on for the image and the
other for the tools and pallets. So you might consider a dual display
video card.
Do get the largest monitor(s) you can afford and have space for.

Usually you will get what you pay for; if you are truly looking for
performance you will pay dearly for it.

Best of Luck,
Jim

Old February 17th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 06:23:07 -0800, Lynn wrote:

Hi, I am a photographer about to get a new PC and would love to have
some idea on what to look for to run CS2 as quickly and efficiently as
possible.
It's currently taking ages to even load my photos on my old PC and so
I am hoping to increase my speed and performance.
The only posts I can find about this tend to be 4 or 5 years old, so
I'm hoping someone can help me with what I should look for today for
optimum speed, graphics etc. so that I can go to Dell or similar and
order. Any and all help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynn
www.herrick-photo.co.uk

I would recommend as much RAM as you can afford. I would also advise to
avoid vista until at least SP1 is released - way too many problems (see
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general), assuming you are 'into' MS. BTW -
I'm given to understand that Linux runs photoshop quite well under WINE.

K10D Specs Pete D Digital SLR Cameras 1 September 14th 06 09:13 AM
Photoshop Plugins Collection, updated 25/Jan/2006, ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE V2, PHOTOSHOP CS V2, PHOTOSHOP CS V8.0, 2nd edition [email protected] Digital Photography 0 February 2nd 06 06:54 AM
jpg viewer with specs [email protected] Digital Photography 6 December 16th 04 02:02 AM
please help with DX7590 specs... Mario Digital Photography 2 October 29th 04 04:51 AM
Need Specs on Rolleiflex Bay I, II, III HELP timm Medium Format Photography Equipment 10 October 18th 04 02:31 PM