Old external flash OK for digital cam?

Old February 1st 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron

Default Old external flash OK for digital cam?

I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
with something like my Nikon D40?

--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town
Old February 1st 13, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 1/31/2013 9:59 PM, Ron wrote:
I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
with something like my Nikon D40?

No need to find out. For about $10 you can buy a device that will sit
between your flash and the camera, that will protect your camera from
high voltagge. I just forgot what it is called.

--
PeterN
Old February 1st 13, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Ron
wrote:

I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
with something like my Nikon D40?

According to DPAnswers.com, the trigger voltage for that flash is 4.3
volts. Nikon DSLRs can generally withstand up to 250V, so you should be
fine. I'd recommend, of course, that you confirm those figures with the
respective manufacturers, if possible.

If in doubt, sync regulators like the Wein Safe-Sync. can be used.
Old February 1st 13, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 22:29:50 -0500, Scott Schuckert
wrote:

In article , Ron
wrote:

I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
with something like my Nikon D40?

According to DPAnswers.com, the trigger voltage for that flash is 4.3
volts. Nikon DSLRs can generally withstand up to 250V, so you should be
fine. I'd recommend, of course, that you confirm those figures with the
respective manufacturers, if possible.

If in doubt, sync regulators like the Wein Safe-Sync. can be used.

That data is all very well but you also need to be concerned about
voltage spikes at the moment of switching. A simple diode protector or
similar device should make sure that the camera is protected from a
back-lash fromthe flash.

Eric Stevens
Old February 1st 13, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron

Scott Schuckert wrote:

In article , Ron
wrote:

I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
with something like my Nikon D40?

According to DPAnswers.com, the trigger voltage for that flash is 4.3
volts. Nikon DSLRs can generally withstand up to 250V, so you should be
fine. I'd recommend, of course, that you confirm those figures with the
respective manufacturers, if possible.

If in doubt, sync regulators like the Wein Safe-Sync. can be used.

Thanks, gents. Good info.
--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

Old February 1st 13, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 22:29:50 -0500, Scott Schuckert
wrote:

In article , Ron
wrote:

[...]

Not true.

Various sources all report measured voltages of less than 6 VDC for the
Sunpak 333D. There is no reason to think that is not a reliable enough
value. Given that it is very low, and Nikon can tolerate a very high
voltage, there is virtually no reason to be concerned.

A single diode "protection" device is 1) not enough, but 2) redundant in
this case. Rest assured that the camera has both a forward and reverse
diodes in series and parallel.

It is also true that given the low voltage on the trigger line there is
no question but that the flash unit itself incorporates what essentially
is the same type of circuitry as the mentioned Wein Safe-Sync unit.

All of which means that adding another diode will do very little other
than possibly causing less that reliable triggering.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old February 1st 13, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:59:52 -0800, Ron wrote:

I have an old external flash, a Sunpak 333D. Used it with my old Nikon
FA but haven't used it on any camera since I went digital. Have heard
that some older flashes have high voltages present at the hot shoe that
could damage a digital camera. How can I tell if this flash is OK to use
with something like my Nikon D40?

Another option might be a hot shoe slave to fire the flash.
Old February 2nd 13, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 01:14:59 -0900, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 22:29:50 -0500, Scott Schuckert
wrote:

In article , Ron
wrote:

[...]

I was cautious because I don't know what is being switched in
Sunpak333D and I have had bad experiences switching inductive loads. I
think it was a 400V spike I measured when switching relays on the 12V
system on my boat. An ordinary meter will never detect that.
Switching spike voltages don't have to be very high to take out
assorted solid state circuitry.