Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Old January 16th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter
Old January 16th 13, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-01-15 17:48:05 -0800, Peter Jason said:

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

I would seriously reconsider your "bright" idea for "shooting from the
hip". Deliberately arming your camera with a laser sight or pointer is
a bad idea, especially when you are taking it into a target rich
environment at a wedding.
You could rig a rail to the tripod mount and attach any one of many
available laser sights. A pistol sight would probably be most suitable.
However, I doubt that your insurance would cover any potential
liability just because you might think it a neat idea. You would be
best advised to stick to traditional photography techniques. After all,
it is a wedding and there is little need for "shooting from the hip".
Folks expect photographs to be taken at a wedding by some guy with a
camera held up to his/her face.

The one thing which you should consider, is the inconvenient red, or
green dot at the point of focus on your subject. Then there are the
warnings which comes with every laser sight I am familiar with.
http://electronicstechnician.tpub.co...12419_25_2.jpg

http://creoleindc.typepad.com/rantin...ning20logo.jpg

With that sort of manufacturer notification you are best advised to
rethink your position, because all the liability will be yours.

Class 2/II lasers are those under 1mW in power. These can injure the
eye with prolonged exposure. Many sights are Class IIIa or 3R which can
be up to 5 mW and can cause momentary blindness and has the possibility
of inflicting permanent damage with prolonged exposure.

Lasers are unique in their safety hazards, particularly to something
you value highly - your vision. While the dangers of firearms and
explosives are obvious to most sane people, the possibility that a
stream of massless photons even from a low power laser can cause
instant severe and irreversible damage to vision or even total
blindness is something that often needs to be stressed and stressed
again.

Lasers have tended to be high glamor devices popular with with
hobbyists, experimenters, entertainers, and serious researchers alike.
However, except for very low power lasers - those with less than a
fraction of a mW of beam power - they do pose some unique hazards
particularly with respect to instant and permanent damage to
vision.

There are several reasons that even small lasers which do not
represent any sort of burning or fire risk can instantly and
permanently damage vision:

The output of many lasers is a nearly
parallel - highly collimated - beam which means that not only is the
energy concentrated in a small area but the lens of the eye will focus
it to a microscopic point on the retina instantly vaporizing tissue in
much less than the blink of an eye. A collimated beam represents the
rays from an object at infinity so if your eye is focused for distance,
the laser will be in focus as well.

A cheap laser pointer produces a
highly collimated beam. Even at power levels considered relatively
safe, one shouldn't deliberately stare into the beam for any reason.
For these relatively low power lasers, permanent eye damage is not that
likely but why take chances?
As another point of reference, the mid-day Sun at the Earth's equator
on a clear day has a power density of about 1 kW/m2 or about 1 mW/mm2.
It would not take very long staring into the Sun to burn out your
eyeballs! (Yes, I know, some people have claimed to do this all day
without harm - I wonder what a vision test would reveal?) Also see the
additional comparison, below.

While laser pointers themselves may not
be quite as dangerous as some people may have you to believe, that such
macroscopic effects can take place at these relatively modest power
levels should provide some additional respect for the damage that can
result under just the wrong set of conditions.
Laser safety is no laughing matter.
A 1 mW laser has the potential to produce an intensity on the retina
167 times that of direct sunlight! But there are many more factors to
consider in determining the real risk of damage.

Savageduck

Old January 16th 13, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 1/15/13 7:48 PM, in article ,
"Peter Jason" wrote:

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

Are you f--king CRAZY?!?

Old January 16th 13, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

On 15/01/2013 8:48 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

Perhaps if you learn to use a camera? There have been well known street
photographers that have done documentary work with 35mm film SLR that
"shot from the hip"

--
This space intentionally left blank.
Old January 16th 13, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Peter Jason
says...
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 16th 13, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Peter Jason wrote:
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

Do you wish to blind your enemies, or just your friends?

Mort Linder
Old January 16th 13, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 1/16/13 8:47 AM, in article , "Mort"
wrote:

Peter Jason wrote:
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

Do you wish to blind your enemies, or just your friends?

Mort Linder

Naw, he just wants to scare the hell out of them.

Makes for great pictures: Bride and Groom ducking behind a table. CHL
holders drawing their weapons. Etc.

You know the *Good Times Remember When* memories, right?

Old January 16th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:55:25 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Peter Jason
says...
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings and the like when the
exposure is set for pinpoint.

How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

+1 on the tiltable screen. I've never used the one on my Pansonic G3 for
that because I've had the need.

The problem I see with a laser pointer would be parallax. Unless it's
coming out of the center of the lens, it's going to have to compensate
for being off center.
Old January 16th 13, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-01-16 08:14:56 -0800, ray carter said:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:55:25 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Peter Jason
says...
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings and the like when the
exposure is set for pinpoint.

How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

+1 on the tiltable screen. I've never used the one on my Pansonic G3 for
that because I've had the need.

The problem I see with a laser pointer would be parallax. Unless it's
coming out of the center of the lens, it's going to have to compensate
for being off center.

Even with a class III Laser sight which is usually mounted as close to
the plain of the barrel as possible it has to be zeroed. Most most
pistol laser sights are zeroed at 20M, and are going to provide a 1 MOA
degree of accuracy at 100M. That is within a 1 inch circle at 100M.
Very few shooters are going to be able to hold to that degree of
accuracy. The difference for ranges of 5-30M are unlikely to fall
outside a 2 inch point of aim circle.

The primary issue remains safety, and the responsibility of any
photographer using such a targeting system at a wedding where it is
unlikely that everybody would be wearing eye protection. It is a dumb
idea.

A laser pointer is not intended for pointing at people, and folks
targeted with laser sights on a firearm have more to worry about than
permanent vision damage.

Savageduck

Old January 16th 13, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , ray carter
wrote:

The problem I see with a laser pointer would be parallax. Unless it's
coming out of the center of the lens, it's going to have to compensate
for being off center.

Nah, you just boresight it like you do on a gun. Then turn it on and
watch people who've watched too many action movies scatter.

Hmmm. How about a projected frame line (as on a rangefinder camera, but
actually on the subject)? It'd let you AND your subjects see whats
included in the picture. That way you can blind more people, as well as
ruining everyone else's shots.