"Mouse overe to see ..." - nothing different.

Old February 19th 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default "Mouse overe to see ..." - nothing different.

I'm running W7 64 bit on a PC using Firefox.

Several times I've run against articles discussing colour gamuts where
I am told "Mouse over to see .... [something different]." This doesn't
seem to work for me. What is it that I'm missing in my machine?

Eric Stevens
Old February 19th 13, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-18 17:42:07 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

I'm running W7 64 bit on a PC using Firefox.

Several times I've run against articles discussing colour gamuts where
I am told "Mouse over to see .... [something different]." This doesn't
seem to work for me. What is it that I'm missing in my machine?

Some work, some don't. I can confirm that the one on the
"luminous-landscape.com" page you posted doesn't work on my Mac with
both Safari and Chrome.

Savageduck

Old February 19th 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Some work, some don't. I can confirm that the one on the
| "luminous-landscape.com" page you posted doesn't work on my Mac with
| both Safari and Chrome.

That's using a popular, pre-written script function that comes
with DreamWeaver, called MM_swapImage (MM as in MacroMedia.)
People use it a lot for "rollovers" -- changing an image on mouse
hover. The page is infested with script but I don't see anything
indicating the code for MM_swapImage was actually included.

Another way to do something similar would be with the CSS :hover
event, which would work in most late-model browsers. So if you have
script disabled it could be that the ones that work are the ones using
CSS. While if you have script enabled then it's probably just a case
of a lot of people pasting in prepackaged code like MM_swapImage
and not implementing it properly. (If they're using Dreamweaver they
probably don't understand webpage code anyway.)

Old February 19th 13, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Eric Stevens writes:

I'm running W7 64 bit on a PC using Firefox.

Several times I've run against articles discussing colour gamuts where
I am told "Mouse over to see .... [something different]." This doesn't
seem to work for me. What is it that I'm missing in my machine?

Perhaps noscript is blocking the javascript (or whatever) that powers
the mouse-over? They work in Firefox on w7 64 for me (including the
ones I posted myself).
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 19th 13, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 2013-02-18 17:42:07 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

I'm running W7 64 bit on a PC using Firefox.

Several times I've run against articles discussing colour gamuts where
I am told "Mouse over to see .... [something different]." This doesn't
seem to work for me. What is it that I'm missing in my machine?

Some work, some don't. I can confirm that the one on the
"luminous-landscape.com" page you posted doesn't work on my Mac with
both Safari and Chrome.

I'm using Vista 64-bit, on my Hewlett-Packard "Pavilion Media
Center" (model "m8407c") desktop computer. At the "YouTube"
site, many videos are silent.

Whereas, on my pair of no-name Android 10.1" tablets, the
audio always plays.

John
Old February 19th 13, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 2013-02-18 17:42:07 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

I'm running W7 64 bit on a PC using Firefox.

Several times I've run against articles discussing colour gamuts where
I am told "Mouse over to see .... [something different]." This doesn't
seem to work for me. What is it that I'm missing in my machine?

Some work, some don't. I can confirm that the one on the
"luminous-landscape.com" page you posted doesn't work on my Mac with
both Safari and Chrome.

I'm using Vista 64-bit, on my Hewlett-Packard "Pavilion Media
Center" (model "m8407c") desktop computer. At the "YouTube"
site, many videos are silent.

Possibly - you need to update flash player on your computer, incl web
browser plugins.

Whereas, on my pair of no-name Android 10.1" tablets, the
audio always plays.

Possibly your browser or youtube app is redirecting to HTML5 filtered
"mobile app" links on youtube.
Some older android ( v 3.x ?) tablets may still support flash.

Old February 19th 13, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm running W7 64 bit on a PC using Firefox.

Several times I've run against articles discussing colour gamuts where
I am told "Mouse over to see .... [something different]." This doesn't
seem to work for me. What is it that I'm missing in my machine?

Try the ones he
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/moon.tn.html

There are three mouseover images on the page, the first two about 1/3
the way down. (Search for the word, "mouse")

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old February 19th 13, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| I'm using Vista 64-bit, on my Hewlett-Packard "Pavilion Media
| Center" (model "m8407c") desktop computer. At the "YouTube"
| site, many videos are silent.

You might consider getting Firefox, if you don't already have it,
and adding the DownloadHelper extension. DH finds media linked
in the page and provides a direct download. On the down side,
DH doesn't seem to work with most sites, including Vimeo. On the
upside, it does work on youtube, and whenever Google breaks
compatibility the DH author updates.

I've never "viewed" a video on youtube, and I generally don't
enable script, so it wouldn't work for me anyway. I just download
the video using DH. Then I have it later. (If I saw it once it's likely
I'll want to see it again.) For viewing, the open source VLC Media
Player can play just about anything.

Video websites go to great lengths to hide the source URL in an
attempt to get people to think they're "viewing", as in TV. But you
have to download the .FLV or other file in order to see it at all. It's
really kind of silly to force people to download it and then hide it
from them.

Old February 19th 13, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-19 05:46:05 -0800, M-M said:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm running W7 64 bit on a PC using Firefox.

Several times I've run against articles discussing colour gamuts where
I am told "Mouse over to see .... [something different]." This doesn't
seem to work for me. What is it that I'm missing in my machine?

Try the ones he
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/moon.tn.html

There are three mouseover images on the page, the first two about 1/3
the way down. (Search for the word, "mouse")

All three worked just fine in Safari on my Mac.
Let's see what Eric gets with his set up.

Savageduck

Old February 19th 13, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Notice that at the top of your page, when seen in
to make the rollovers work.
In the luminous-landscape.com page those functions
are missing. They could be linked externally, but all
I see for external links are jquery scripts. So unless
someone has added the Dreamweaver functions to
jquery there seems to be a fault in the luminous-landscape
webpage. That wouldn't be at all surprising. Rollover
effects are *very* popular and are often done with
the MM_* functions written by Macromedia for
Dreamweaver. Probably a lot of people doing their own
webpages mistakenly think that just pasting in the
"onmouseover" code snippets will make the rollovers work.