Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Old January 17th 13, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Peter Jason writes:

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
laser pointer to your camera or something).

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old January 17th 13, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Alfred Molon writes:

In article , Peter Jason
says...
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any
professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable
professional equipment for his use.

Used to be, viewfinder flexibility was a feature limited to professional
cameras. Lately, things seem to have reversed, and it's found only on
consumer models.

(Well, and the OM-D EM-5 or whatever the hell random string they named
that nice Olympus M43 model.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old January 17th 13, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , David Dyer-Bennet says...
Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any
professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable
professional equipment for his use.

Lots of DSLRs or interchangeable lens cameras with tiltable LCD screens
around. Why wouldn't a pro use them?
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 17th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

On 1/15/2013 7:00 PM, George Kerby wrote:

On 1/15/13 7:48 PM, in article ,
"Peter Jason" wrote:

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

Are you f--king CRAZY?!?

So few words that say so much.
Old January 17th 13, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 16, 11:39*am, Savageduck
On 2013-01-16 08:14:56 -0800, ray carter said:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:55:25 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Peter Jason
says...
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings and the like when the
exposure is set for pinpoint.

How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

+1 on the tiltable screen. I've never used the one on my Pansonic G3 fo

that because I've had the need.

The problem I see with a laser pointer would be parallax. Unless it's
coming out of the center of the lens, it's going to have to compensate
for being off center.

Even with a class III Laser sight which is usually mounted as close to
the plain of the barrel as possible it has to be zeroed. Most most
pistol laser sights are zeroed at 20M, and are going to provide a 1 MOA
degree of accuracy at 100M. That is within a 1 inch circle at 100M.
Very few shooters are going to be able to hold to that degree of
accuracy. The difference for ranges of 5-30M are unlikely to fall
outside a 2 inch point of aim circle.

The primary issue remains safety, and the responsibility of any
photographer using such a targeting system at a wedding where it is
unlikely that everybody would be wearing eye protection. It is a dumb
idea.

A laser pointer is not intended for pointing at people, and folks
targeted with laser sights on a firearm have more to worry about than
permanent vision damage.

Savageduck

I'm wondering though, if a weak IR laser would produce a visible laser
spot on a subject via viewing through an EVF or LCD? If so, it might
be possible to do what the op wanted without risking any injury or
annoyance with the people he's shooting at?

What is a "weak IR laser"?
The OP is trying to "shoot from the hip" so viewing through an OVF,
EVP, or LCD isn't on his agenda.

Most laser pointers are Class IIa 1mW red or green lasers. As I noted
elsewhere a 1mW laser has the potential to produce an intensity 167
times that of the Sun on the retina. Also note that most of the laser
pointer disruptions of flights around airports were caused by idiots
using cheap laser pointers.
Firearms sights are usually Class III or IV 5mW+, so the potential for
injury is even higher.

It is worth noting that a subject targeted with a firearm laser sight
is going to have more health concerns than possible retina damage. A
wedding party is not likely to enjoy that sort of exposure because some
photographer thought it might be a good idea.

Savageduck

Old January 17th 13, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Peter Jason writes:

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
laser pointer to your camera or something).

These in-camera focus aids are LED lights and not lasers.

Mort Linder
Old January 17th 13, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:58:29 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2013-01-15 17:48:05 -0800, Peter Jason said:
:
: Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
:
: I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
: and the like when the exposure is set for
: pinpoint.
:
: Peter
:
:
: I would seriously reconsider your "bright" idea for "shooting from the
: hip". Deliberately arming your camera with a laser sight or pointer is
: a bad idea, especially when you are taking it into a target rich
: environment at a wedding.
: You could rig a rail to the tripod mount and attach any one of many
: available laser sights. A pistol sight would probably be most suitable.
: However, I doubt that your insurance would cover any potential
: liability just because you might think it a neat idea. You would be
: best advised to stick to traditional photography techniques. After all,
: it is a wedding and there is little need for "shooting from the hip".
: Folks expect photographs to be taken at a wedding by some guy with a
: camera held up to his/her face.

Well, yeah, but the questioner may not be that guy. Somehow the question
doesn't advertise itself as having come from a professional photographer, or
even a serious amateur. When I take pictures at weddings, I don't mind being
seen doing it; but I make it a point to stay out of the way of the
professional who's being paid to document the event. My sense is that the
overwhelming majority of the participants in these newsgroups - professionals,
semis, and amateurs - would do the same.

Remember the video that was posted briefly a few years ago of the still
photographer who hogged the sight lines to the bride and groom all the way up
the aisle? He froze out the videographer, but ended up falling into the
baptismal font with all his gear. The videographer caught it all. :^) It was
so hilarious that one was even left with the suspicion that the whole thing
may have been staged.

Bob
Old January 17th 13, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-01-16 21:21:51 -0800, "Steve B" said:

"Gordon Freeman" wrote in message
Peter Jason wrote:

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Why not just strap a laser-sighted gun to the side of the camera? You
could
then also use it to weed out unwanted people from group shots before
pressing the shutter release.

You would certainly get the attention of any security person there, whether
it be private or commissioned officer. They have a very, very bad
disposition any time they are "painted" with a laser dot, and may react in
very unpredictable and unfriendly ways. And just what if ............... a
stray dot flies upward when shooting in the back yard, and you hit a billion
to one shot of the cockpit of an airliner. They react very quickly and will
report any such incident to homeland security. I know it is a reach, but it
could happen.

Steve

Yup!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._distances.gif

http://www.examiner.com/article/faa-...us-to-aircraft
http://rense.com/general61/eeed.htm

Savageduck

Old January 17th 13, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Peter Jason
says...
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

+1

I LOVE mine, for candids (from the hip...), when holding
the camera high (full stretch, or even on a pole),
and super-low (wild flower shots).

BugBear

Old January 17th 13, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Peter Jason
wrote:

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

Amateurs have such interesting ideas.