Digital prints at home are a PITA

Old May 28th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jackson Bryan

Default Digital prints at home are a PITA

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..
They are extremely time consuming and inordinately expensive.

My friends and family think that I am their print service.

Anybody else think that this sucks?

I tell them about all the print services out there and they give me that
blank look.

I sometimes wish that I had never shown them my prints done at home.

You know the old saying..."we teach people how to treat us"

JB

Old May 28th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Art[_3_]

Default - COSTCO big prints

I've had OUTSTANDING results from costco for 20x30" prints. $10 each
(plus $5 shipping for the whole set) and from 8mb images uploaded, (no
color correction) I've gotten back great blow-ups every time. I don't
miss film any more!!

On Mon, 28 May 2007 00:14:41 GMT, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:

Charles offered these thoughts for the group's consideration of
the matter at hand:

They are extremely time consuming and inordinately expensive.

My friends and family think that I am their print service.

Anybody else think that this sucks?

I tell them about all the print services out there and they
give me that blank look.

I sometimes wish that I had never shown them my prints done at
home.

After listening to the glowing stories on this NG of good results
at places like Costco, Meijer, and CVS, I need to take another look
at them. But, with my Canon Pixma 6600, I have NO issues
whatsoever. The prints are fabulous, completely to my satisfaction
and then some. If I had an issue, it would be that it just drinks
ink at $15/cartridge.

But, I print less than 1% of the images I shoot. If I were printing
the bulk of them, especially for 4 x 6 snapshots, then I doubt I'd
bother at home, too slow and more expensive than a service bureau.

Old May 29th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: My friends and family think that I am their print service.
:
: Anybody else think that this sucks?
:
: I tell them about all the print services out there and they give me that
: blank look.
:
: I sometimes wish that I had never shown them my prints done at home.

Pick out the worst offenders in your family and give them color printers for
Christmas.

Bob
Old May 29th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RonB

Spell it out for them:

W-a-l-M-a-r-t.

Highest quality available - No.

Good enough for most of our relatives - Yes.

I just sent an 8x10 over to a local store for our son and daughter-in-law.
They were happy with the results. $3.05 with tax.

RonB

. ..

Old May 29th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Jackson Bryan wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message
. ..
They are extremely time consuming and inordinately expensive.

My friends and family think that I am their print service.

Anybody else think that this sucks?

I tell them about all the print services out there and they give me that
blank look.

I sometimes wish that I had never shown them my prints done at home.

You know the old saying..."we teach people how to treat us"

JB

My wife thinks I am the local print service. She volunteers me to make
prints for her friends. I hate to deal with prints, so I very rarely
print anything for myself.
Old May 29th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_2_]

Ron Hunter wrote:
[]
My wife thinks I am the local print service. She volunteers me to
make prints for her friends. I hate to deal with prints, so I very
rarely print anything for myself.

Get your wife her own printer?

David

Old May 29th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Charles wrote:
They are extremely time consuming and inordinately expensive.

My friends and family think that I am their print service.

Anybody else think that this sucks?

I tell them about all the print services out there and they give me that
blank look.

I sometimes wish that I had never shown them my prints done at home.

This isn't a photography issue. It is an issue about how
relatives interact. Just be sure you aren't the family
lawyer, doctor, or dentist who is expected to work free for
all the relatives.
Old May 29th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:11:48 -0400, Charles wrote:

They are extremely time consuming and inordinately expensive.

My friends and family think that I am their print service.

Anybody else think that this sucks?

I tell them about all the print services out there and they give me that
blank look.

I sometimes wish that I had never shown them my prints done at home.

Simple solution - tell them you'll be happy to do them for cost plus a
markup - I'd make it so it comes out somewhat higher than they'd get from
a print service, at the least.