22" LCD for photo editing?

Old May 13th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Soren

Default 22" LCD for photo editing?

Hi,

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen LCD that I can also use for photo
editing etc.. does anyone have any good suggestions for a good sharp
screen??

Thanks!
Soren

Old May 13th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Hi,

The Dell Ultrasharp range is very good and is perfect for photo
editing, also the apple cinema displays.

Adcuz

Old May 13th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Silicon Sam

On May 13, 10:33 am, Soren wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen LCD that I can also use for photo
editing etc.. does anyone have any good suggestions for a good sharp
screen??

Thanks!
Soren

I use the Samsung Syncmaster 225BW, and I am quite happy with it,
for what it cost.

Sam

Old May 13th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

Soren wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen LCD that I can also use for photo
editing etc.. does anyone have any good suggestions for a good sharp
screen??

Take a look at the HP 22" widescreen monitor - probably a 2207 model
name. These HPs have a special glass screen that makes the blacks ultra
rich and deep. I got the 1907 model, and have calibrated it, and it
seems to match my prints exactly. And the monitor controls are very easy
and intuitive to use, and of course have digital numbers associated with
all settings, which the Envision did not. This is the third monitor I
have had home to select for my photo editing, and I am finally satisfied.

Gary Eickmeier
Old May 13th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Soren

On May 13, 5:07 pm, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Soren wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen LCD that I can also use for photo
editing etc.. does anyone have any good suggestions for a good sharp
screen??

Take a look at the HP 22" widescreen monitor - probably a 2207 model
name. These HPs have a special glass screen that makes the blacks ultra
rich and deep. I got the 1907 model, and have calibrated it, and it
seems to match my prints exactly. And the monitor controls are very easy
and intuitive to use, and of course have digital numbers associated with
all settings, which the Envision did not. This is the third monitor I
have had home to select for my photo editing, and I am finally satisfied.

Gary Eickmeier

Hi,

I just ordered the HP w2207.. seems to have some great reviews at the
forums. I was really in doubt about going for dell, samsung, viewsync
or this hp.. but after looking through reviews and forums it seems the
HP is a good choice.. i want to use it both for gaming and photo
editing..

The trouble about choosing a screen is that when you find a review
that says its great! a few minutes later you find one that says its
not so great.. So now i'm trying this one.. and i'll return it if
it doesnt live up to my needs.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Soren

Old May 14th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

Soren wrote:

Hi,

I just ordered the HP w2207.. seems to have some great reviews at the
forums. I was really in doubt about going for dell, samsung, viewsync
or this hp.. but after looking through reviews and forums it seems the
HP is a good choice.. i want to use it both for gaming and photo
editing..

The trouble about choosing a screen is that when you find a review
that says its great! a few minutes later you find one that says its
not so great.. So now i'm trying this one.. and i'll return it if
it doesnt live up to my needs.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Let us know...

Gary Eickmeier
Old May 14th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On May 13, 11:07 am, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Soren wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen LCD that I can also use for photo
editing etc.. does anyone have any good suggestions for a good sharp
screen??

Take a look at the HP 22" widescreen monitor - probably a 2207 model
name. These HPs have a special glass screen that makes the blacks ultra
rich and deep. I got the 1907 model, and have calibrated it, and it
seems to match my prints exactly. And the monitor controls are very easy
and intuitive to use, and of course have digital numbers associated with
all settings, which the Envision did not. This is the third monitor I
have had home to select for my photo editing, and I am finally satisfied.

Gary Eickmeier

I have a 19 inch HP 1940, which is excellent. My only problem with the
22inch HPs ia their max res is 1280x 960. If I go that large I want
1600 x 1200. Dell has that, several NEC models do to, at twice the
cost.

Tom

Old May 14th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

tomm42 wrote:

I have a 19 inch HP 1940, which is excellent. My only problem with the
22inch HPs ia their max res is 1280x 960. If I go that large I want
1600 x 1200. Dell has that, several NEC models do to, at twice the
cost.

Res doesn't change with manufacturer. The resolution of my 19" HP is
1440 x 900.

Gary Eickmeier
Old May 15th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roger (K8RI)

On 13 May 2007 07:35:50 -0700, Silicon Sam
wrote:

On May 13, 10:33 am, Soren wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen LCD that I can also use for photo
editing etc.. does anyone have any good suggestions for a good sharp
screen??

Thanks!
Soren

I use the Samsung Syncmaster 225BW, and I am quite happy with it,
for what it cost.

This machine has the 226 BW 22" while right beside it is a 204B. Both
work very well although the 226 has a wider contrast range and much
wider dynamic range. I use both for photo editing.

Sam

Old May 16th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Soren

On May 14, 4:49 am, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Soren wrote:
Hi,

I just ordered the HP w2207.. seems to have some great reviews at the
forums. I was really in doubt about going for dell, samsung, viewsync
or this hp.. but after looking through reviews and forums it seems the
HP is a good choice.. i want to use it both for gaming and photo
editing..

The trouble about choosing a screen is that when you find a review
that says its great! a few minutes later you find one that says its
not so great.. So now i'm trying this one.. and i'll return it if
it doesnt live up to my needs.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Let us know...

Gary Eickmeier

I got my HP w2207 today.. so far i'm really pleased. I'm running
1680x1050 in windows .. I went from a crappy 20" CRT .. and I really
like the extra space on my desktop.. it feels huge! As for
photoediting i'm not a pro, but I don't see anything wrong in using
this screen for photo work it's really nice. It's sharp, and the
colors are clear and nice. I haven't calibrated the colors (need to
get my hands on a Spyder 2) but I really have no complaints. Using the
screen in lightroom is nice since the toolbars now are in the
widescreen area

I guess if you're a pro, who is used to working on mac screens then
there's probably a difference.. (from what I've heard) .. but it also
costs 2-3 times this screen.

For games, it rocks... no ghosting, widescreen 1680x1050 view in games
is cool, it would feel strange to go back! ..

As for issues I've heard of in the forums, I haven't seen any yet...
there's some slight backlight bleed when the screen is all black
(normal for LCD screens), I don't see the fade from dark to light
across the screen that some buyers have noticed. No pixel errors.
Software? Heard it was buggy... it crashed once when I started an
Nintendo 64 emulator .. after changing the resolution settings in the
emulator it worked fine... other than that it seems to work fine..

Well, I've only tested this screen for 4 hours now .. so if anything
comes up later i'll let you know.

So far its definitely a keeper.

Soren